Profile for A. E. Williams > Reviews

Content by A. E. Williams

A. E. Williams "History fanatic" (Liverpool,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
A Burnable Book
A Burnable Book

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 13 Aug. 2015
This review is from: A Burnable Book (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, the author obviously knows his period back to front and inside out. I found the evocation of medieval life fascinating, you could all but smell the dung !! The characters(especially the mauds) came alive off the page and the dialogue was convincing without the faux Old English used by authors of less skill.
What prevented it from having five stars for me was the story which I found a bit thin, but all in all I would be very interested to read more by this author.

A Man's Word (The King's Hounds series)
A Man's Word (The King's Hounds series)

3.0 out of 5 stars uninvolving, 20 Feb. 2015
An ok read, background feels authentic but at the end of the day the plot is a bit lacking in interest

The Leftovers
The Leftovers

3.0 out of 5 stars survivor guilt, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
Mixed feelings about this, I had heard about the tv series so thought I would give it a try. Strange that there is never an explanation of the supernatural (?) disaster which is the starting point for the story, perhaps there will be a series leading to a revelation ? I would give a sequel a go which is a good sign but as a stand alone it is very unsatisfying.

The Grim Company
The Grim Company

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Grim Company (Kindle Edition)
Adds nothing new to the genre, bog standard characters, not involving , but a fair enough time waster

Lamentation (The Shardlake series Book 6)
Lamentation (The Shardlake series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping up the standard, 5 Jan. 2015
Having just finished Lamentation I have only one question, how long will we have to wait for the next one ? I love the way the emphasis is shifting from the whodunnit aspect of the story to an exploration of the politics and personalities of Tudor England. The new direction Shardlake's career is taking is really exciting , just one small plea to Mr Sampson, please,please don't write off Jack Barak, we love him !!

Royal Canin Exigent Savour Sensation Dry Mix 2 kg
Royal Canin Exigent Savour Sensation Dry Mix 2 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 5 Jan. 2015
My very picky Siamese was having tummy problems with her Royal Canin Siamese formula so I tried her on this, having previously tried other premium brands of kibble at which she turned up her aristocratic nose.
This one she loves and and it agrees with her digestion very well.

81stgeneration Vintage Rose Flower Brass Pocket Watch Necklace
81stgeneration Vintage Rose Flower Brass Pocket Watch Necklace
Offered by 81STGENERATION

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Vintage watch, 6 Dec. 2014
Very nice item, bought to be part of a Victorian costume and fills the part well. Like the way the case is engraved also on the back with a different design.
Would have had five stars if the watch face had been upside down like a fob watch. Looks worth more than I paid, although it was on sale. Very pleased.

The Last Legion
The Last Legion

3.0 out of 5 stars Roman Britain in decline., 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Last Legion (Kindle Edition)
A couple of issues prevented me from giving this a higher rating - the translation is very clunky in parts, the spirit and atmosphere of a book is more important than a word for word translation I think. Sometimes it appears to be written in schoolboy English and in other places it is quite high flown and over elaborate, almost as if two different people were involved. Given that it's fairly obvious who the old man and the boy are, we actually know they must survive and this removes a fair bit of suspense from the story. It needs a chunk editing out of the middle which drags for what purports to be an adventure,although it does try to be something more. All in all it's a fair enough read.

Lionheart
Lionheart

3.0 out of 5 stars No new take on Richard, 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Lionheart (Kindle Edition)
I am halfway through this book and am enjoying it in a slightly muted way, there is a wealth of detail about Richard's campaign in Outremer and his rivalry with Phillipe of France, familiar names abound, Berengaria,Joanna, Eleanor,Ibelin, Lusignan etc. On the whole it is well written with the exception of a few glaring anachronisms , he "didn't want to go down that road" ? The problem I have is that none of the characters come alive, for me anyway, I was hoping for a bit more insight into the character of Richard and the women in his life but what I am getting is a pretty bog standard war obsessed member of the Devils Brood. It's a bit like the playground bully being given the resources of a kingdom to go off and find some bigger boys to bully. It's maybe unfair to judge before finishing the book but if I see a change I will post another review.

Sarah Thornhill
Sarah Thornhill

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuing the story of the Thornhills, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Sarah Thornhill (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed "The Secret River" very much and this sequel is the story of the youngest daughter of William Thornhill, following her journey into womanhood and the resolution of the tragedy held over from the first book. I am not normally a fan of books written in the first person but Ms Greville has managed to give Sarah an authentic sounding voice. I would say it is neccessary to read the first book to fully appreciate the nuances of the story but would recommend both.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9