ARRAY(0xa50b7c24)

Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture" Marche slave etc
Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture" Marche slave etc
Price: 11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars ASJ Glos, 7 Nov 2012
Absolutely brilliant disc. One previous reviewer was fairly dismissive of the recording quality but I must say that this wasn't an issue for me. The dynamic range is huge, so if you have high quality equipment this is not a problem, only for your neighbours! The performances are first class and very exciting. It's difficult to compare this 1812 with the classic Mercury recording by Antal Dorati Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture etc, as it's a different era and recording technique - I am happy to live with both. The disc is worth having for the other pieces alone - 1812 is not a piece you want to listen to very often, with or without chorus!

Schumann: Symphonies Nos. 1-4
Schumann: Symphonies Nos. 1-4
Price: 10.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Schumann - Complete Symphonies by Sawallisch, 2 Mar 2012
I bought the original LPs in the seventies and was bowled over then by both the playing and interpretation of these evergreen symphonies by Schumann. I have heard and listened to many performances since and have heard none to equal the Dresdeners in their freshness and vitality. The unique sound of the Dresden Staatskapelle adds greatly to the transparency and energy of Sawallisch's interpretations. I currently own the earlier CD releases but was slightly disappointed by the sound compared to how I remember it on the LPs - some of the warmth seemed to have disappeared, so I am hoping that the Great Recordings release will correct the error of the first remastering. The only gripe I had with the first release and this one is that the very fine account of the Manfred overture, originally included in the LP set, has been lost in transfer to the CDs.