Profile for Eleonora Shilling > Reviews

Beautiful Ruins
by Jess Walter
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars What a drag!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Ruins (Paperback)
I ordered this book after reading a review in the Sunday Times Culture magazine hailing it as the read of the summer (2013). I started it in January 2014 and just finished it now after struggling through it for 3 months. I don't like to give up on a book, so I really had to force myself to read it 'till the end. It was so disappointing that I felt compelled to write a review on amazon for the first time ever.
Although the style of writing could be considered literary, the content of the book is a non-story, an implausible, long-winded tale involving characters we never learn to care about. This is compounded by of the structure of the book which flits from one character or period (1960s) to another (present-day) via pointless other chapters (such as excerpts of a book or screenplay being written, which have no bearing on anything). There is no chance to get into the story or the protagonists. There is no emotional involvement, no suspense, no credibility – no entertainment even. It's possibly the worst book I've ever picked up. I keep all of the books I've read on the bookshelves in my basement, but this one will go straight into the recycling bin outside…