Profile for Jaspar Cadenhead > Reviews

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Price: 9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive from the first listen, 27 Nov 2006
I bought it on a whim, and now I can't stop listening to this album.

I'd heard good things about Clap Your Hands, but like many bands that I hear good things about, I expected to be disappointed. So it was a really pleasant surprise when from the outset, I really enjoyed the album. I'm more of a rock/metal sort of person, and I'd probably describe this as pop, but what excellent pop! Has a great upbeat tempo, that makes you feel happy.

It is one of those sort of bands that you want to liken to something, but you struggle to pin down. It definitely has a Talking Heads vibe in places, it sometimes reminds me of the Cure, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips or Violent Femmes, it often has a similar electronica sound to the Human League, and has a lot of the simplistic brilliance of the Beta Band. The lead singer is a bit nasally for my liking (think Rufus Wainright), but for some reason it seems to work.

Buy it, it's cheap, and it'll make you smile!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 Digital Camera [6MP, 3x Optical Zoom] - Silver
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 Digital Camera [6MP, 3x Optical Zoom] - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera, 27 Nov 2006
I love this camera. It's by no means perfect, but it's a great compromise of form and function. I mostly use it at gigs and on holidays. It's taken me quite alot of experimentation to get good shots at gigs, but I can't imagine there are many better cameras out there for the purpose that you can fit in you jeans pocket!

Good points:

Tiny; Really nice quality shots for the type of camera; Good battery life; Good video; Takes good candid shots, noone notices it, so they don't have a chance to pose; Steady shot very necessary; Build quality

Bad points:

Lens cover flips open quite easily; Focus struggles in low light; Steady shot isn't quite as good as they'd have you believe; 640 iso is quite grainy (but you have to use it in low light, even with steady shot)

Overall, I'd highly recommend it (or its successors). You can pretty much overcome it's limitations by making use of the limited manual settings, and the fact that you can take it anywhere without it being intrusive means you can get fun rather than contrived pictures. So the ultimate happy snapper!