Profile for William M. Walker > Reviews

Content by William M. Walker

William M. Walker "Govan Lad" (Scotland.)

Braun Oral-B Advanced Power 400 Battery-Operated Toothbrush (Colour Varies)
Braun Oral-B Advanced Power 400 Battery-Operated Toothbrush (Colour Varies)
Offered by Dental Direct UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping our dentist happy., 9 July 2011
My wife and I have used Braun Oral-B electric tooth brushes for well over 20 years. Our early models incorporated charging stands which had to be plugged into an electrical outlet. We have more than enough plug in adaptors for electrical devices and a charging holder sitting on a bathroom shelf became a nuicance. Then there was the inconvenience of including it in our luggage when leaving home so we gave up on these models and switched to the dry battery type. There has been no detectable difference in performance and our dentist continues to compliment us on the low incidence of plaque and the excellent condition of our teeth and gums.

We purchased the latest model a couple of months ago and note a design change. Previously the end cap which is removed to change the batteries depended on a silicone sealant on the main casing to keep the internal parts of the toothbrush waterproof. After two or three battery changes the silicone sealant crumbled and became ineffective causing moisture to penetrate into the battery compartment. The result of this was the motor would slow down or stop and the batteries plus internal contacts had to be dried manually. The new model now incorporates a rubber ring seal so hopefully this will eliminate or reduce moments of exasperation when the motor stops during the teeth cleaning operation. Having said that I must mention that the end cap on one of the tooth brushes is most difficult to remove and replace whereas the second one offers no problem. So far I have been unable to ascertain the reason for this.

As a more trivial comment I must mention that previous models included little coloured plastic rings which could be clipped on to the replacement brush heads. In a household this enables one to identify the user. The new design does not offer this feature although the sales blurb does state that the toothbrushes are available in variable colours. In our instance we received two of the same colour. I would suggest the supplier uses a little imagination when shipping multiple orders and select different colours for each toothbrush.

Finally, battery life. Good quality dry batteries (AA size) last quite a few weeks before the motor slows down but, having a battery charger, I prefer to use the rechargeable type and routinely charge them once a month.

Remington R8150 Dual Track Rotary Shaver
Remington R8150 Dual Track Rotary Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars From 'Philly' to 'Remi', 8 July 2011
Over the past 40 years or so I have purchased and used 5 'Phillips' rotary shavers. With such a long time scale I have obviously been well satisfied overall. However this time around I read negative reviews in respect of the current mid price Phillips models. Only 30 minutes battery capacity compared to 60 minutes on previous models. A resistance type electric cord, a charging stand (who wants to include that in travel luggage?) and what has been described as a skimpy pouch. The 'Remington R8150' secification appeared superior in all these respects so I decided to make the change.

I have now shaved with the R8150 for 36 days without having to recharge the battery. The 60 minute indicator showed zero a week ago but so far no detectable reduction in motor speed. Out of curiosity I will wait to find out how many shaving days I get from the initial charge. Our bathroom fittings include a shaving socket so no need for me to purchase a 3 pin UK adaptor. A charging stand is supplied but these only take up shelf space and a nuicance to pack with luggage so I connect the razor direct to the power plug via the supplied component. Easy to roll up the flexible cord for travel and, at a pinch, it can be squeezed into the generous size pouch. It took a few days to become accustomed to the Remington shaver heads. Being similar in concept to my previous Phillips shavers I was somewhat surprised at this. However I have come to the conclusion this may be related to the fact that the Phillips heads were individually flexible whereas the Remington heads are rigidly mounted on a flexible carrier. This concept may be related to patents. In my opinion the Phillips design is better but, as the days pass by, I find the Remington is providing a close shave subject to a little extra time spent negotiating the contours of my face and neck. Based on this I am somewhat reluctanty reducing my overall rating of a very fine product to 4 stars.

Mastrad F00003 Ice Cube Tray, Translucent Blue
Mastrad F00003 Ice Cube Tray, Translucent Blue
Offered by Bohero

4.0 out of 5 stars Solution for a freezer without an ice tray drawer., 1 Jun 2010
Recently decided to buy a new fridge freezer and found that a lot of the new models no longer incorporate shallow ice cube mould shelves. One has to insert the trays into deeper drawers and the possible tilting creates a water spillage hazard. The Mastrad Ice Cube Blue Trays all but eliminate this problem and to date I have managed to put the trays into the deeper freezer drawers without spilling a drop. A little common sense is necessary and the lid requires a firm grasp to preserve its watertight properties when tilting it into the drawer is necessary. Like most ice trays they should be placed reasonably level for the seals to be effective but after a few hours when the ice has formed the trays can be placed in any position, even upside down if that takes your fancy. However if slight tilting in the drawer is unavoidable before cubes form an option to keep the seals effective meanwhile would be to secure the lid with a couple of rubber bands. The cubes are attractively oval shaped and easy to eject with thumb pressure on the flexible cups after running cold water over the bottom of the unit while holding the sealing lid in place. Altogether a well thought out and designed product.

2 x Ice Cube Bags 2 x 40bags (makes 2240 cubes)
2 x Ice Cube Bags 2 x 40bags (makes 2240 cubes)
Offered by Bargains Hut

1.0 out of 5 stars Ice cubes in a bag., 1 Jun 2010
The idea of producing ice buttons in a disposable bag is quite appealing and could have been a winner. However, apart from a vague diagram showing the insertion of an opening over a standard cold water tap if you have still such a thing the process of filling the bag can be a messy watery business. This experience is nothing compared to trying to get the frozen buttons out of the bag. Not one word of explanation delivered with the product. Made several attempts and eventually resorted to cutting up the bag in strips. Altogether a frustrating experience. The bags didn't cost a lot but no matter how cheap, were just a waste of money.

LG - DRT389H Digital TV DVD Recorder with USB 2.0 Interface (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars LG1 Perfect for creating a Hybrid System., 24 Nov 2009
The Lg1 has proven to be a perfect DVD Recorder to create a hybrid system incorporating my Humax Hard Drive Recorder. It offers the extended facility of recording 2 programmes simultaneously on the Humax plus watching a third programme and, if required, also recording it on to a disc at he same time. For archiving enthusiests even the stored Humax recordings can be transferred to disc on the LG1 at a later time. Where else can one find such comprehensive capabilities, especially at a combined cost for both units of little more than 200 pounds on Amazon.

The LG1 is proving reliable and offers high definion upscaling output on 'Playback'. Even on my standard definition TV a modest improvement in picture quality is noticeable. One minor negative point, the LG1 handset offers codes for controlling TV volume and switching functions etc. Although popular brands are listed my JVC is not included so I still have to use the associated remote handset for volume control. Altogether, the LG1 lives up to the company's insignia 'Life's Good'.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2010 10:09 PM GMT