Profile for alexczaj > Reviews

Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
by Harry Beckwith

5.0 out of 5 stars Now there's no excuse, 8 Feb 2001
Didn't want to fork out the big dosh on the hardback of this "service" industry masterpiece? Here's the paperback version, but be forewarned: you might as well order a copy for everyone in your office, and your clients, now, before it too sells out.
And don't let that "service" perspective put you off: who's not selling intangibles? You compete--and win--on intangibles. This book (despite its US origins--or perhaps because of them) quickly and easily cuts to the chase in small snippets of insight. Great tube/train/bog reading and a fantastic, invigorating call to action.

Soul Mining
Soul Mining
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My desert island disk, 22 Jan 2001
This review is from: Soul Mining (Audio CD)
Sorry, but if I had only ONE cd, this would be it. Bar none. Matt Johnson sonically echoes the emptiness of his soul (or so he thinks--not empty at all) musically as well as lyrically. You can't do better than this CD.

The The: Infected [VHS]
The The: Infected [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars A visually-stunning interpretation of Matt Johnson's work, 18 Jan 2001
This review is from: The The: Infected [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Infected--the single and album sold well in the UK in the mid-80's--but this old VHS is a real triumph in the face of 80's music videos, or, hell, even today's music videos. In fact, make that ESPECIALLY in face of today's.... The video interpretation of "Slow train to dawn" alone is worth it, but Matt's clever (okay, been done before, notably Springsteen's Pink Cadillac album) but subtle repetition of catch-phrases gives the album a thematic point of view not seen since the Pink Floyds et al of the seventies. But the sound is definitively Matt Johnson, extending the solitary despair of Soul Mining and Burning Blue Soul into more of a cumulative culture growl at the moon: "I sold my soul to pay for my dinner, my body grew fatter as my heart grew thinner," "I asked the angels for inspiration but the devil bought us all drinks--he's been buying them ever since," and "if I acted like someone else I'd be more comfortable with myself..." Wow. I at least lived it at the time--and then some. Maybe you are now... an eye-opener.

TV Dot Com
TV Dot Com
by Phillip Swann

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, concise, succinct and articuolate review of iTV, 17 Jan 2001
This review is from: TV Dot Com (Hardcover)
As a big fan of iTV (interactive TV IS the future of the internet--at least here in the UK and Europe), I was intrigued to see the US perspective on the subject.... Swann's short-term vision is clear--and spot-on. From time-shifting to EPGs he accurately prognosticates a TV-centric future that's achievable despite our constantly delayed ADSL rollouts and expensive narrow-band access. Takes about an hour to read (great for the tube or the bog as each chapter is easily digestible) and is well worth the tenner. So why only 4/5 crowns? Too damn americanocentric, as usual. Hello: the future of iTV is HERE and ASIA--but that news doesn't help sell the title in the States....