Profile for SairahRose > Reviews

SairahRose (Sheffield, UK)

Storm Of Arranon
Storm Of Arranon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read., 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Storm Of Arranon (Kindle Edition)
This book simply was amazing. The way the characters revolved round each other, and the set up towards the end made for a great read.
There was 'just enough' of each element without glossing over events, or forcing the reader to trudge through long paragraphs of topics that took the plot off course. The messages that were apparent in the story were clear, and I could empathise with Erryn, and to an extent Jaer, as they had to trust in each other in order to come together.
The connection to the land and the animals within that place brought home the notion that we are not alone, and we do have to care for the area we live in, just as those around us will care too. But again, all this was done in a subtle way without bombarding us.
In all, I'd read this again, and recommend it to many others.

I received a copy of this book for review.

The Foulks Rebellion
The Foulks Rebellion

4.0 out of 5 stars Thriller... not so much.., 6 Jun. 2012
This is an extremely good political conspiracy novel. It is believable in several areas, especially in our own corporate nation where greed and corruption are right at the top of an over-developed media world.
With government/media mind control, and governments rigging the voting using the system that is guaranteed to dissuade voters from allowing a "decent" party in, this book has a good set of characters that captures the elements of the game almost perfectly.
I had a few issues though. For a thriller, I didn't feel any emotions that conveyed fear on any character, nor in myself. I felt that at times the pace was a little too fast to allow for any further developments into the backgrounds.
I loved the story, and would probably read it again, but the negative issues really stood out to me.
I received a copy of this book.

And If Thine Eye Offend Thee (The Mysteries of MacArthur Donne Book 1)
And If Thine Eye Offend Thee (The Mysteries of MacArthur Donne Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not enough, 6 Jun. 2012
Upon reading this book I found it to be a decent medical journal, and I was interested in the link between CJD and BSE. I loved the rural settings and some of the descriptions of the areas the characters visited.
However, I found the storyline somewhat disjointed, and didn't seem to connect as it could have done had this not been fiction. The characters were often vague and unemotional, and the background information was definitely not enough for me to empathise with any of them.
If there was a sequel, or indeed a prequel, I may still be inclined to read it, but on the whole, I was a little disappointed that there wasn't enough of a story to read.
I received a copy for review on my Kindle app.

Millions for the Beast
Millions for the Beast

3.0 out of 5 stars When fiction mirrors reality..., 6 Jun. 2012
This book was incredible. A fast paced suspense novel that follows Marcus through his life as he escapes from one set of bad choices and moves right into the middle of another. The distinct topics raised that are prevalent in our world today; the police and political corruption, the bribery, and the harassment, are all too close. I felt that a lot of the characters could have been fleshed out a little more, and could have done with reading more about how they feel rather than just a listing of events that happened to them, but overall, the story was a good read.
I received a copy of this book for the Kindle.

Frozen: A Thriller
Frozen: A Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read, 9 May 2012
I enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to a fair few people.
This is a decent thriller, set at a fast pace that clearly outlines the short length of time that was set out by Vivian. Daniel Powell has set this story in an amazing world that is detailed and amazing.
However, I felt that at times there were sections of the plot that were seemingly pointless, such as the wolf scene - to me, there was no need to include this, as all it served to do was tie up a loose end in a decent way.
The fast pace, while I found it clever in a literary manner, could have been less 'glossed over' in areas so that the character's feelings could have been included a little more instead of just with dialogue.
Overall, I enjoyed the plot as it developed, and as a mother, I understood what Terri must have been going through as she braved many elements and dangers in order to reach her children.
I received a copy for my Kindle.

Perfect Copy
Perfect Copy

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't perfection meant to be good?, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Perfect Copy (Kindle Edition)
I read Perfect Copy, and couldn't put it down.
I found myself drawn to Roman, a seemingly 'normal' four year old boy, and his carer, Brina right from the beginning. Roman had a slight learning difficulty, but throughout the story he progressed enough to become the man he was always meant to be, even though he was still only 5. Each and every twist in the plot had me hoping that Roman would be okay. I could genuinely empathise with the main character (who was never actually present throughout the story)and his wish for perfection in the form of DNA enhancement.
Sadly, I could not get the genre to be felt. There were many moments of suspense, especially with the deaths and the confrontations with each character, but it certainly was not a thriller. The start of the story was a little too confusing, and there were very few aspects of the cloning process that were explained fully for me to truly appreciate where the story was leading to. In addition, the ending was perhaps a little too open (unless of course there will be more forthcoming).
That being said, I felt that they did not detract from the positives this story brings, and I would happily recommend this book to all.
I received a courtesy copy of this book for review purposes.

JVC Gumy In Ear Headphones for iPod / iPhone / MP3 Devices - Yellow
JVC Gumy In Ear Headphones for iPod / iPhone / MP3 Devices - Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Mar. 2010
A perfect fit, and a great sound to boot. Comfortable in the ear, although the wire may be a little too long.

Astrology for Today
Astrology for Today
by Joanna Watters

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this, 7 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Astrology for Today (Paperback)
very informative, and extremely useful - I have found I can complete birthcharts properly without having to resort to books for explanations anymore.

Koudelka
Koudelka

5.0 out of 5 stars A little different..., 7 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Koudelka (Video Game)
...to other RPG's. I've never played anything like this before. I completed 'Final Fantasy', and 'Shadow Hearts' and was actually looking for 'SH Covenant'. I still havent bought Covenant yet, as I'm still playing through Koudelka!
It was a little difficult to get used to the controls, and the gameplay is a little off at times, but other than there being a few too many random battles I saw no other problems that I can tell of.
I love the storyline, and the events that unfold from doing each action. The realistic cut-scenes just add to the whole effect of the game, and I'd highly recommend this game to anyone who was looking for a difficult and yet easy game to play.