Profile for Andrew J. Carter > Reviews

Clarke Sweetone C Tin Penny Whistle In Black
Offered by 1to1music
Price: 5.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 29 May 2013
Sweet and clear, good upper register, robust ly made. Recommended for anyone who wants to play for not much money at all!

Charlie & Lola 48 piece Puzzle
Charlie & Lola 48 piece Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Good puzzle for smaller kids, 10 Nov 2011
This is a puzzle that my 2 1/2 year old can just about do on her own. It's Charlie and Lola so she dosen't lose the pieces and I have to say, I think I can leave her for up to half an hour at a time focused on the task at hand.

Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit
Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit
Offered by Just Childsplay
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just waht my son needed!, 10 Nov 2011
This is a good, well thought out, logical educational toy. The instructions take you through all the basic steps of electrical theory with switches, diodes, circuit layouts etc. A few things though, that were plain annoying.

Firstly My son argued with me over whether some of the circuits would work. It turned out to be a connector that was badly manufactured and had no conductive strip in it! Too much pfaff to send it back, so I fixed it. Next we have never got enough power and traction for the fan to take off as shown in the instructions. This was dissapointing for him as this is the hilight of the experiments. Finally, the fuse thing is really annoying. It's a safety feature to prevent parts getting hot - bear in mind we're talking of up to 6v from 4 x AA batteries. Because my boy likes to experiment I got through the spare fuse wire very fast and then the bulbs began popping. I've replaced the bulbs with higher rated ones (that pop less often) and stuck in a higher rated fuse.

He has, however had loads of fun and it is a toy that makes for excellent quality time together. Despite the short comings I would recommend it.

Draper 37442 Compression Tester (14X18mm)
Draper 37442 Compression Tester (14X18mm)
Price: 18.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 4 Nov 2011
This is a low priced, well made useful tool that fits pretty much all petrol engines. I got it for my 1968 Triumph and saved myself a lot of expense. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Projector
Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost indestructible, 20 Sep 2011
This is a robust toy with minimal battery consumption. They've been left outside, dropped down the stairs,dropped in the bath etc. The only thing I resign myself to is that the little discs with the image slides always get lost - and turn up in the sofa, the teabags, under beds,in my slippers etc. Otherwise they've been thoroughly enjoyed (we have two).

Logitech Squeezebox Boom
Logitech Squeezebox Boom

5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine!, 2 April 2011
I got this as we live in rural France and the radio reception around here is awful. I went for this machine based on reviews both here and on other sites as well as the spec and appearance.

I must say it has made life wonderfully pleasant just when I thought our situation couldn't be improved much. I can now listen to BBC Radio 4 news in the morning and compare it with the France Inter version and for that matter anyone else's. I have had internet access for years but only now do I feel like I get a ballanced view on world events.

The kids can get Cbeebees radio before school and I can finally hear the local radio. Not to mention re-discovering all that mp3 music I'd forgotten with it lost on a hard drive somewhere.

I like the modest understated look of the squeezebox over the competition. I like the base response that allows me to hear good quality sound at low volumes when the kids are asleep. I like the way it's easy to understand and set up.

Ok, It's not a perfect system we have here. I don't think that's much to do with the squeezebox as the SFR internet connection here and the way our home network isn't set up. The net result is the annoying cut out for rebuffering that gets mystically stuck on 28% when it sticks. Also annoying but a must have is the firmware updates - Murphy's law states that they come when I don't want to have to wait. The final gripe? The buffer. I used to have a Roberts DAB in the Uk and there was half an hour wind back available. By contrast the squeeze box seems to have about 5 mins.

Overall though I highly recommend this wonder. If you haven't tried these wifi radio things then you can fall either into a dark pit of black magic or you can take a quantum leap forwards. The Squeezebox Boom is most deinately the latter!

Revell Easykit GR7 Harrier
Revell Easykit GR7 Harrier

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good kit, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Revell Easykit GR7 Harrier (Toy)
I got this kit to build with my 5 year old son and it's been a hoot!

1. no glue required.
2. the parts are already painted and finished.
3. very easy to assemble.

OK not so durable (in 5 year old's terms), but he's so proud that he's put the finished Harrier in our "cool cabinet" so durability isn't an issue.

70" x 28" Big Paisley Jacquard Double Layer Woven Viscose Pashmina Shawl / Wrap / Stole - Red
Offered by Sakka's
Price: 89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 28 Feb 2011
I sent this to my elderly Mum for her birthday as I live abroad. She was delighted and my sisters both tell me that it's very good quality and the colours are lovely. I would recommend this shawl.

Yellowstone Foot Pump - 5 Litre
Yellowstone Foot Pump - 5 Litre
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great foot pump!, 30 Aug 2010
I have bought pumps to blow up air matresses in the past and generally they have been expensive rubbish so when the last one broke just before a family camping holiday I just ordered this cheapie. For [...] this not only pumps air, but it does so efficiently and quickly. It's robust enough for my 20 month old daughter to throw around and my 5 year old son to jump up and down on to make the whistling sound.

Well designed, well made, well packed, delivered on time and looks like it will last a good long time.

Haynes 4 Cylinder Combustion Engine
Haynes 4 Cylinder Combustion Engine
Price: 19.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good model, really good experience, 30 Mar 2010
This is an excellent model. It is obvious how it goes together, the instructions are simple to follow, the parts were crisp and we had none of the "timing belt" problems some people have mentioned. Quite the reverse, in fact it worked perfectly first time. "We" are my son - not yet 5 and me. He got such a buzz out of us completing each stage it has made me start looking for a similar project. No, at his age he cannot fully understand how a combustion engine works and he has the attention span of a gnat at times, but who cares? He does understand the mechanisms of cams, belts, cranks etc and is trying to use some of these ideas on his own with his lego, so what he did learn stuck. Most of all though we had fun together building it -what more can a parent ask of a kit like this?

The biggest drawback? It's loud. He often wakes his little sister by firing it up after bed time!

Page: 1 | 2