Profile for Alan J. Young > Reviews

Content by Alan J. Young

Alan J. Young (Somerset United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Hertz Dieci DCX690 6"x9" Coaxial 3 way Car Speakers
Hertz Dieci DCX690 6"x9" Coaxial 3 way Car Speakers
Offered by caraudiosecurityuk
Price: 71.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 15 April 2014
I needed to upgrade my 6 x 9 JBL GTO speakers and the Hertz Dieci seemed to be a good choice with all the positive reviews.

I'm an audio enthusiast with an appreciation of good sound, I've installed many car audio systems and designed and built many of my own hifi speakers. I think I know good sound when I hear it and I didn't hear it with the Hertz speakers. I know everybody has their own perception of quality sound but to me they just didn't perform at any frequency. Lows no better than my JBL in fact a bit worse, weak mid range and bright treble. They are not ear piecing don't get me wrong but they just don't sound natural.

I have a high end Alpine unit which has bags of detail and a sweet treble (unlike the cheaper Alpines that sound a bit clinical and ear piecing), and with such a system their is no need for over bright speakers like the Hertz DCX690. I was expecting a lot more especially at this price point. These compare price wise with the Kenwood Excelon X693 and based on the build alone there is no comparison. The Hertz really do feel cheap with their small magnets and paper cones. To put this in perspective I was driving the rear Hertz speakers off a 60 watt/channel Pioneer amp and the front door speakers straight off the radio. When I fade between front and rear the fronts actually sound deeper and richer than the rears!

Some may love the sound from these speakers but my warning to everyone is don't believe all the hype and what may be bias reviews. Go have a listen and then decide.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick socks, 4 April 2014
Excellent for my CAT boots which would otherwise hurt my ankles. Seem to be good quality and wash well. Bit expensive!

Pioneer AVH-X8500BT 7 inch Mulitmedia Player
Pioneer AVH-X8500BT 7 inch Mulitmedia Player
Offered by CarAudioCentre
Price: 380.00

2.0 out of 5 stars From a Pioneer fan, 4 April 2014
I've been a Pioneer fan for as long as I can remember (+/-27 years). That was until I discovered Blaupunkt! Recently I tried Pioneer again to see if they had improved, what I did find is that their units are more gimmicky than ever!

I first bought a AVIC-F930BT which to be fair is an excellent high end unit. Bought it on eBay new from a private seller however after installing it the radio was faulty (factory fault). Pioneer didn't want to help so I was out of cash...long story. Anyway told myself I would never buy Pioneer again but couldn't resist the AVH-X5600BT which is the non removable version of the X8500BT. Bought it, installed it, removed it and returned it. The unit looks cheap and the performance is below par. Small buttons, small icons, really cheesy graphics especially when compared to the AVIC units. Most of all though the sound quality was disappointing. Before the AVIC unit I had an Alpine installed with the same speakers and the bass was tight and hard hitting. In comparison the AVH-X sounded muddy. The AVIC-F930BT also sounded far better with a cleaner treble.

I'm not recommending Alpine as they have that ear piecing treble and poor stereo separation that I just can't forgive, but in this case the Alpine sounded far superior. Also the Alpine interface on their double dins looks very nice and not out of place in most cars. I bought this unit based on all the reviews so I presume most people are happy with this unit however think twice if audio quality is your main concern.

I'm now going to give JVC a try as you can buy a higher end unit far cheaper than other brands. If you care about music buy a Blaupunkt if you can afford it.

Pioneer AVIC-F40BT GPS Dual Zone Entertainment System with 7 inch Touchscreen
Pioneer AVIC-F40BT GPS Dual Zone Entertainment System with 7 inch Touchscreen
Price: 1,099.99

2.0 out of 5 stars great radio. no support, 31 Mar 2014
Great features and sound, professional looking interface but don't expect Pioneer to help you when it goes wrong. Pioneer's support is extremely poor and repair costs for these radios is ridiculous.
Over priced for what it is

Torch: Energizer LED Keyring
Torch: Energizer LED Keyring
Offered by PoundMax
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little torch, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Torch: Energizer LED Keyring
This torch works well and feels like a quality product. The only problem is you have to hold the button down to keep the light on. However this is also a positive because this stops the battery from draining when left on accidently.

Jabra CRUISER2 Bluetooth In Car Speakerphone
Jabra CRUISER2 Bluetooth In Car Speakerphone
Price: 38.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and works great, 16 Mar 2014
The Jabra range of wireless Bluetooth speakerphones are brilliant. Clear and loud sound and easy to operate. Battery lasts for ages. You can also play music from your phone through the radio by using the FM transmitter.

Great product highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 16 Mar 2014
Good piece of kit, perhaps a bit too heavy, but is does make it feel like a quality product.

My wife loves it so that's all that counts!!

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" Standing Leather Cover, Saddle Tan (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7" [Previous Generation])

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover ridiculously expensive, 16 Mar 2014
I'm sure they use the cost of these covers to supplement the selling cost of the kindle.

Still these are good covers that should last the life of the product.

Little Earthquakes
Little Earthquakes
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best album, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Little Earthquakes (Audio CD)
The more I listen to this album the more I like it. Each song has so much depth that you discover new meanings all the time. This is no one hit wonder! I discovered Tori later in life and I'm glad I spent the time learning to love her music.

TomTom Start 60 6" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries)
TomTom Start 60 6" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant, 16 Mar 2014
Nice large screen but difficult to input data with the unresponsive resistive touch screen. My Pioneer SATNAV system also has a resistive touch screen and it's far more responsive than the 'Start 60'.

Also the directions given on our Start 60 are sometimes different to those on our other Sat Nav (TomTom One). The 'TomTom One' generally chose a better route even with the same settings (fastest route). Not sure what the problem is!

Battery life is also pretty poor and there is no battery indicator!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 2:09 PM GMT