Profile for Sandcastle24 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Instructions for a Heatwave
Instructions for a Heatwave

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read for our book group, 6 Sep 2014
Great characterisation, just didn't want it to end...

The News: A User's Manual
The News: A User's Manual

5.0 out of 5 stars before you check the news headlines again, read this, 22 Feb 2014
Some years ago, on the advice of a motivational guru, I was advised to stop watching the news as it would only depress me. By and large I have followed his advice, finding that if news is necessary to me it will somehow find me. I heard Alain de Boton being interviewed about this book on the radio, and thought it sounded very interesting. I don't think I've highlighted so many excerpts on my Kindle app for any book before. So many insights which I agreed with. I shall enjoy dipping into The Philosopher's Mail for interpretation of news stories in future.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting read, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
This was a book group set text for me, which I would probably not have chosen to read otherwise. It was perfectly paced and written with a really delicate and genuine treatment of a very difficult subject.

Panasonic Panasonic 52mm Lumix G Protective Filter
Panasonic Panasonic 52mm Lumix G Protective Filter
Offered by magicdiscounts

5.0 out of 5 stars Lens protection for Panasonic Lumix, 19 July 2013
I bought this filter for my new Panasonic Lumix camera. I do tend to be a bit rough with my cameras, so always make sure the lens is protected before first use. This product does just that.

Panasonic Lumix FZ200 Bridge Camera - Black (12MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD
Offered by Smart Electricals Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Very excited by this camera, 19 July 2013
Bought this camera to replace a Canon D350 which I like, but was having problems with.

Have absolutely loved the transition to always having a fabulous zoom capability without having to change lenses. The camera is easy to use for basic functions, and there are lots of video tutorials on YouTube which I'm planning to watch to learn more about how to use the more advanced features.

This camera has re-awakened my interest in photography, and has me looking to learn more and accept new challenges. Great buy.

Only downside I've noticed is that there are some colours which don't render very 'true' to my eye. May have to fiddle a bit with settings to fix.

The lens hood supplied is very brittle plastic and a bit cumbersome, so I haven't used it much. But a tiny niggle, and only really mentioned to balance the review.

Sightlines
Sightlines

5.0 out of 5 stars read this in the Year of Natural Scotland, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Sightlines (Kindle Edition)
As a keen amateur photographer, I marvel at the way Kathleen Jamie is able to conjour up pictures with words.

Life After Life
Life After Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read all the way to the end, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
The twists and turns of this tale as a life is lived over and over, keep you guessing right to the end and beyond.

Apple iPod touch 32GB 5th Generation - Blue  (Latest Model - Launched Sept 2012)
Offered by London Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with this product, 7 Jan 2013
Bought as a gift for daughter's Christmas. She loves it! Camera and Instagram combination seems to be proving most fun at present, although she's downloaded quite a few apps. Blue colour was very chic.

Build Your Own Robot Arm
Build Your Own Robot Arm
Offered by Smart Games Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too tricky, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Build Your Own Robot Arm (Toy)
We found this difficult to get started with (son is 10 and product is rated for a 14-year old, so not product's fault). However, even with parental assistance it proved very difficult to get the very first nuts into place to start building, so it's been put away until a more mechanically-minded friend comes to assist. Need tools like long-nosed pliers for the assembly, which we didn't have, and once we did have them they proved inadequate for doing the job. Probably not the fault of the kit. Probably the fault of us just being ham-fisted.

Collins School World Atlas (Collins School Atlas)
Collins School World Atlas (Collins School Atlas)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a school atlas, 7 Jan 2013
Bought for son's school text book. It seems to be ideal for the needs of a 10-year old learning geography.

Page: 1 | 2