Profile for Churchmouse > Reviews

Content by Churchmouse

Churchmouse (Birmingham United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tubular Bells
Tubular Bells

2.0 out of 5 stars New does not necessarily mean better, 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
I have no 5.1 system, so I limit my observations solely to the remastered stereo version on this boxed set.

I write having again listened to a side by side comparison of my copy of the 1973 orginal against the remastered 2009 and I do not feel I will bother listening to the 2009 version ever again. For me the sound is simply so "tidied up" that it sounds dull - I mean the frequency extremes just don't seem to be there, nor do the more dynamic sections get at all dynamic.

The remastering also has changed the emphasis on the instruments, with the bass far more prominent in many places and, at times, an apparent attempt to simply the sound has meant some instruments disappearing. Since I love the orginal, I admit that it is difficult for me to accept these revisions as in any way an improvement.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2011 10:09 AM BST

Dyson DC16 Animal Handheld Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Owners
Dyson DC16 Animal Handheld Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Owners

1.0 out of 5 stars Great suction, but boy does it suck!, 12 Mar. 2009
I have owned mine for 2 years.

It has never broken down. It is really easy to use. It is solidly made.

However, I have never got more than 6 minutes from the battery at the best of times. So, whereas I had bought it to use when cleaning the car, I have ended up just using it around the house for the odd spillage. It is just not fit for anything else because the battery dies so quickly.

Now, after two years of sporadic use, the battery will hold a charge for no more than 30 seconds. I am buying another handheld and it WILL NOT be a Dyson.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but can you find the book you want?, 10 Feb. 2009
2 months of use and these are my impressions:

The good - very light; no eye strain from the screen; I get about 2 books use between charges; I take it everywhere and am back to reading at every opportunity.

The ok - the software which comes with the unit, which you can use to organise your books; it only has three font sizes.

The bad - it doesn't seem possible to read whilst it is charging; the availability of e-books is very limited (I am averaging about a 30% success rate i.e. just under 1 book in 3 that I want to read is actually available as an e-book); I have found a better availability of e-books in the USA but often they cannot sell to UK addresses due to publication restrictions.

Pure Move, Portable Rechargeable Palm-sized DAB/FM Radio
Pure Move, Portable Rechargeable Palm-sized DAB/FM Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a perfect Pure., 21 Nov. 2008
I bought this for use in the bathroom, where there is no power supply.

The good points are that it has no problem pulling in a strong DAB signal and, using it for about an hour a day, I have been getting about 6 weeks of life out of each battery charge.

The bad points are: a below average speaker performance - whether it is the metal casing vibrating I cannot tell, but at mid-high volumes the unit frequently produces a slightly rattlely sound, even on spoken word (this is something I can live with for bathroom listening, but not if this was my main radio.); a strange design function that one must hold down the on/off button for several seconds to get the unit to switch off.

If the sound was better, then this would be a dream of a radio.

Denon AH-C551 Earphones - Black
Denon AH-C551 Earphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitting is the key., 21 Nov. 2008
Got these to replace a pair of Shure Se210s which seemed to produce music which lost some top end and sounded rather "boxed in". The Se210s themselves replacing a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3s which were wonderfully detailed but lacked bottom end and never fitted comfortably for extended use.

What I have found is that the Denons sound wonderful once you get them soundly secured in your ears. I just wish they came with the foam type ear fittings which come on the Shures, because they are the best noise-isolating fit I have yet come across - they immediately fit and never move.

The Denons use the more usual rubbery gels (3 different sizes provided) and I have really struggled to find a position which keeps them securely, and deeply fitted. I have ended up putting them in turned upside down, even though this makes it harder to trail the cable behind the ears and out of the way.

Without a secure fitting the Denons sound thin and unpleasant, whilst following any bass lines can be quite a struggle. Once properly secured they are transformed, with a solid, extended bass which avoids booming, and a terrific mid and top end (they may round off a bit at the very top, but this seems to avoid them becoming harsh). They are far more open, detailed and rythmically "fast" than the Shures.

So, get a good fit and your music listening can be a delight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2008 11:34 PM GMT

Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black
Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a large music collection, 12 Nov. 2008
I have resisted the i-Pod todate because I do not like i-Tunes. So I have already mp3 players by others (a 40gb Creative Zen Touch - which only really works on mains after 3.5 years, a 32gb Zen for the car, an Archos 605 for video and internet). However, my music collection is too large for the Zens to cope with (The SD card expansion on the Creative Zen is not the answer because that does not integrate with the flash-drive's music library) and the Archos is simply not good enough at sound reproduction for music, in my opinion. So, against this background here is what I think:

1. You do not have to use i-Tunes. My media organiser of choice (after trying so many) is Media Jukebox and it had absolutely no problem recognising my new i-Pod and copying across my music library and cover art. (I should qualify this by saying that most of my music is ripped and what I do buy is in mp3 format from 7digital, so I have never used the one stop shop does it all "benefits" of i-Tunes).

2. The click-wheel navigation of the i-Pod is good for basic navigation but the Creative Zen system, I think, is actually a better method overall.

3. The screen display of the i-Pod is great and, to me, better than that on the Creative Zen. However, on neither will I be watching video, so we are only talking about cover art and navigation display here.

4. The headphones are rubbish (as were the ones with each of my previous players).

5. As others have noted, volume is limited but it goes loud enough for me with a pair of decent headphones.

6. It is very well built compared to all my other players.

7. Sound quality is very good, if not stunning. On direct comparison, I think my 32gb Creative Zen is better (a tighter bass and more openess), but both are really enjoyable to listen to.

8. I have bought a crystal case and wallet to help protect it from knocks, but be warned that cases for the 80gb and 160gb previous generation do not necessarily fit the new 120gb perfectly.

9. If you have a large music collection, and want a quality mp3 player, then this now represents excellent value for money. If the i-Pod is as well built and reliable as my Apple Macbook then it ought to keep me happy for some years.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2009 10:16 PM BST

Eco Cordless Jug Kettle, White 3000W
Eco Cordless Jug Kettle, White 3000W

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was just lucky but..., 23 Feb. 2008
I am really surprised by the poor reviews for this kettle on this site. I have owned mine for nearly two years now and I cannot fault it. What is even more important is that it has taught me to just boil enough water for what I want.
In operation it is very simple - you fill one chamber with water, you press a plunger to transfer to the second chamber the exact amount of water you want to boil and then press on. There are level guides on the side (going up in 1 cup levels) to help you fill it to the level you need and, I must say, that I have found these really quite accurate - the 2 cup marking is two decent teacups or 1 mugful.
To cater for the inevitable learning experience of where you forget to transfer any water in to the heating chamber, it has a cut off so that it does not boil dry or burn out.
In practice, you find you get boiling water so much quicker because you are just boiling what you need - I have found 2 cups of water (1 mug full) takes well under a minute.
I have had none of the problems with hot water spurting out, or leaks that others seem to complain of. I cannot comment on the filter aspect because I am not in a high limescale area.

Logitech Harmony 885 Advanced Universal Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 885 Advanced Universal Remote Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, if you spend a little time on it, 23 Feb. 2008
I have had this unit for just a week, so I cannot comment on longevity, just functionality.
I suspected before I bought it, and have been proved correct, that I would not find the activity features useful - for instance the "watch a dvd" activity requires my devices to be in a certain default state in the first place, which they simply never are.
However, purely as a multifunction remote, it is tremendous. I now have it replacing 7 remotes.
I must admit that to get all the necessary functions these various remotes have, and to re-organise them on the Harmony so that they are easy to find and in the most useful order has taken a few hours, but it has been worth it.
If this all sounds too complicated, I can assure you it is not. Most of the remotes are already in Logitech's database, so you just need the model number for each item you want the remote to control and it automatically loads in most of the functions. However, should you not have the model number, or it not be in their database, you can easily teach the Harmony to recognise your original remote's commands by simply connecting the Harmony to your pc, typing in what you want to call the command, pointing the old remote at the new and pressing the relevant button on the old remote.
The icing on the cake is the ability to remove some of the commands you never use and re-arrange the ones you do so that the ones you use most are most easily found.
In use, you just select which device you want to control and press the relevant command in the colour display.
I have also found that the control buttons are actually slicker and more positive in function than those on many of the remotes it has replaced.
A massive word of warning, this remote cannot be setup if you do not have a computer and internet connection.

Plantronics Voyager 510 - Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics Voyager 510 - Bluetooth Headset

2.0 out of 5 stars A flawed design?, 15 Feb. 2007
Owned this for about 6 months and in day to day use it was great. Very light, good battery life.

However, because I used it daily, I was in the habit of alternating which ear I used it in to keep aural balance. This necessitates rotating the extended microphone arm. Over time this has resulted in the wiring, which I have discovered is all packed in around the swivel joint, from becoming snagged and sheared by the arm, rendering the unit useless.

So, a decent unit providing you don't swivel the microphone arm.

Just Beyond The River
Just Beyond The River

5.0 out of 5 stars Never too old to be blown away!, 16 April 2005
This review is from: Just Beyond The River (Audio CD)
I have never before felt like writing a review, but this album is so beautiful it makes you want tell everyone.
The genre? Sort of folk/country, I guess. Guitar, violin, banjo all feature prominently. If that worries you, don't let it. I am not a country music lover - much of my collection features synths and samples only - but this album is something special.
Wonderful, warm, uplifting songs of love. I admit there are some here which raised the hairs on my neck and genuinely brought me to tears.
Why not give it a go?