Profile for Laura > Reviews

Crash
Crash
Price: 2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, dark and satisfying, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crash (Kindle Edition)
I adored this book, and a huge reason why it worked so well for me was because I found it unpredictable, so I won't give any spoilers in this review.

As far as themes go, loss is a big one. Loss of a child even bigger. While I don't have any kids myself, the main character's - Tom's - pain felt hauntingly real. I know some people don't like it, but this is the main reason I enjoy the first person POV - the reader gets to be in someone's head and experience things as the characters do. When done well, it gives amazing results: this book is definitely a good example of that.

I felt the book was honest, a serious insight into what would be every parent's worst fear, which indeed makes it extremely dark. The intrigue of how Tom can't remember what exactly happened, and the strange events that occur while he tries to piece it together kept me reading not just while I burnt dinner in the evening (the hubby was not amused), but also on my desk at work the next morning (I imagine the boss wasn't amused either). I couldn't put it down until the end, which is a significant feat because I often can get distracted by the slightest thing. This is a book that will stay with you which again isn't easy to achieve.

As becomes obvious from the Author's note, this was a tough book to write, and even tougher to release but IMHO, those works tend to be the ones most worthwhile. If it's difficult to put down on paper, perhaps even painful, that's a clear indicator it's meaningful as well. So if you enjoy some depth in your reading, and don't shy away from depressing subject matter, you should definitely give this one a try.

FYI: I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Better You, Better Me: Personal Development for a Happy Life
Better You, Better Me: Personal Development for a Happy Life
Price: 2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 26 Jun 2014
I enjoyed this book and believe it's a title I'll return to again and again for guidance. The author explains practically how he managed to turn himself around and become a better version of himself by improving specific behaviours and attitudes. It's only human to get bogged down with the minutia of daily life, and lose track of the bigger picture, I certainly have a tendency towards that kind of behaviour which can often make me feel low and negative about everything. That's not helpful at all though, which is where the information in this book comes in.
What I liked about Better You, Better Me is the very down-to-earth advice the author gives, without ever coming across as preachy and the anecdotes and stories that help illustrate the various concepts.

I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 2 Jan 2014
I've been listening to the self publishing podcast for a while now, which of course meant that as soon as Sean & Johnny announced they would write a self publishing book, I knew I must get a copy. Not only do these guys clearly know what they're talking about, listening to them every week is like a much needed kick in the ass and reminder that no matter how impossible things seem, and how far away success might be, hard work must pay off in the end. I'm not quite there yet, but I feel like I owe these guys (and Dave) a lot already.

So anyway, enough rambling about podcasts, back to the book. I didn't expect I'd get as much out of the book as I did. Because after all, I figured a lot of this knowledge had been passed around "on air" before. But I was wrong. It's an extremely valuable resource to me to get all the information in writing. I have a bit of a collection of writing and self publishing books by now, and generally find it hard to read all the way through. It takes me a while to finish a non fiction book because generally they tend to be dry and factual and difficult to digest. This one's different because it's like having a good friend coach you and explain things in a way that's easy to understand and remember. It goes without saying that I raced through and read it all in record time. And I'll probably re-read to try and retain more of it. Personally I think the sections on marketing were most valuable to me, both to firm up some things I'm already doing correctly and learning where to improve.

As soon as it came out I recommended this book to all my writer friends and I hope for their sake, they've looked beyond the gushing fangirling I did and actually paid attention to the book itself. If you're not sure, just read the sample and make up your own mind.

The Secret World of Juniper Grace - A New Man for Juniper Episode One
The Secret World of Juniper Grace - A New Man for Juniper Episode One

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked :), 2 Jan 2014
I was lucky enough to get to read this early and omg I am totally hooked. Livia Ellis is back with a brand new serial and I already know I am going to have to read every part as soon as it comes out.

Her characters are witty, funny, relatable. I could easily imagine hanging out with them. Loved the back and forth between "reality" and "fiction" in the story. Despite having a ton of stuff to do before Christmas, I raced through the book and was unable to put it down. It left me begging for more by the end, like a good serial ought to. Get writing Livia, the world needs more of Juniper Grace.

The Sisterhood: Breakfast Meeting
The Sisterhood: Breakfast Meeting

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely, 14 May 2013
This is my first taste of M.J. Carey's work and wow am I glad I gave it a go.

Genevieve has a strong connection to Mark, her boss, which goes way beyond an ordinary working relationship. While he continues to be in charge of her at work, she wants the tables to be turned in private and takes a massive gamble in order to make it so. I could imagine myself there, watching the scene unfold, heart pounding with nerves before she has the chance to find out how he will react to her unorthodox proposal. In short, M.J. Carey had me rooting for Genevieve to get exactly what she craves.

The story is beautifully written, the sex oh so very hot and I'm extremely pleased that there are more "Sisterhood" books for me to explore.

The Secret Life of Girls - full length erotic novel (Xcite Erotic Romance Novels Book 7)
Price: 1.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing Bella already, 22 April 2013
Let me start by saying I LOVED this book! Bella, who is completely believable as the headstrong teenage main character with the looks and lifestyle everyone wants (or wants to get their hands on), experiences a sexual awakening at the hands of the gardener. This is only the beginning of her erotic adventures though because once she realises how much pleasure is to be had as long as you're willing, there's no stopping her. She isn't limited by repressed morals, she's just a girl and wants to have fun. With this attitude she wields a whole lot of power over the men and even some women she comes across and she knows it!

As I've come to expect after reading more of her work, Chloe Thurlow's writing is again fresh, completely true to Bella's character and simply beautiful. I also adored the setting of the story, most of it at boarding school because it brings back memories of the sort of books I used to read growing up. Of course this one is a grown up version in which the sex (of which there is a lot!) blends effortlessly with the story in a most appealing way. It's an uncensored and so very entertaining coming of age tale which I must admit I was sad to finish and let go.

In my mind, there are two types of good books; those you read and enjoy and those you read, enjoy and read again. This one is the latter; I'll be keeping it on my Kindle for future re-reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 7:17 PM BST

Beauty Touched the Beast
Beauty Touched the Beast
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more, 10 April 2013
This story for me has tons of potential; the attraction between the two characters and how they find each other. I love how Erin doesn't care what Blake looks like or about their age difference; it doesn't matter because she enjoys his company and is clearly attracted to him anyway. And I do also have a massive soft spot for men who show some vulnerability or other.

I would've loved to see more detail though, a slower build up showing the backstory of how Erin and Blake interact and find friendship before she walks in to find him at his most intimate; the story only mentions these things in passing. Making it a bit longer for me would've strengthened my connection to the two characters and made me enjoyed their encounters even more.

Still I quite enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from the same author.

LICK THIS PUSSY!!!
LICK THIS PUSSY!!!
Price: 0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely entertaining!, 10 April 2013
This short little read was absolutely hilarious. The very moment the name 'Leroy' was mentioned, I nearly died.
If this is a good indicator of what else one can expect from this author, I'm definitely going to check out the rest of his works ;)

Flight 69: The Mile High Club (Hot Sex with a Handsome Stranger)
Flight 69: The Mile High Club (Hot Sex with a Handsome Stranger)
Price: 1.02

5.0 out of 5 stars My perception of Marzipan will never be the same, 5 April 2013
My second taste of Chloe Thurlow's writing, Flight 69 does not disappoint despite its shorter length.

Kelly Conway is on a journey in more ways than one; not only is she moving up in her career and boarding Flight 69 to take her to a new city, a handsome stranger - James Swanson - will also take her on a journey of self discovery. After a little small talk, some flirting and of course Champagne & chocolate-covered Marzipan, the two of them end up living out their most primal desires in the Business class wash room. James shows Kelly that there is more to sex than the quickies she's accustomed to from her now ex-boyfriend; you truly have to give yourself in order to receive pleasure.

Flight 69 is well written - as I've come to expect from Chloe's work - including plenty of clever dialogue and wonderfully described, tantalising sex.

Short stories and erotica truly go hand in hand and as such I'm always on the lookout for little gems to load onto my Kindle for a little bit of fun before bedtime, or to be enjoyed during my lunch hour at work. This book is definitely one of those gems which I'll keep to enjoy again another time.

Teaching Her, Pleasing Them
Teaching Her, Pleasing Them

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing indeed, 28 Mar 2013
This is the first work by Chase Boehner that I've read and I am already certain it will not be the last.
The story is fast paced, well written and entertaining. It's also (obviously) quite a turn on.

The dialogue and frustration found on the first few pages had me hooked; I understood the characters almost immediately and started to care about what would happen next. And once I got there I was certainly not disappointed. I loved the language used, by how many different words one can refer to someone's man-parts ;) On the whole a light-hearted yet sizzling read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3