Profile for RT > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Rivals for Catan Expansion: Age of Enlightenment
The Rivals for Catan Expansion: Age of Enlightenment

5.0 out of 5 stars Explorers all the way, 18 April 2015
Well I already love catan so expansions make me happy. I played the original Catan for many years and for my birthday last year my mum purchased an expansion- only it was for the "rivals" so i bought the rivals. This sparked my 11 year old to play with me, new and shiny cards, not the dull old game I played. He loved it, loved The Ear of Darkness so we eagerly awaited this. We love this too.

If it only contained the Explorers it would still be worth the money. It adds are really good element to the game. You have 9 "sea" tiles. Some contain pirates- bad, some contain islands, - ok, 2 contain shipwrecks- good easy money. To get to them you need "sail" points, which means more buildings, using your few building spaces is risky, but level up a pirate or an island and hey presto you have VP. So do you explore or build expensive "red" city expansions? It is never an easy choice and can cause very close run games. The person behind can sometimes win 3 VP in one go by using their ships well.

Sages - has some very useful "characters" but i am afraid to say is underused and we tend to go for explorers each time. It works well with gold and merchants. But playing with a little boy- he like fighting.

Prosperity- This has grown on me, not the immediate hit explorers was but the prosperity cards led me to a win the other day so it has gone up in my estimation. The "art work" cards are a tad odd as they take up space in the deck and we dont really go down building the "royalty" to use them. Some of the city expansions are really good and the stars are really useful, so get a star building card down quick and you are sorted. Star building cards are "receive a star each time commerce is rolled" or "plentiful harvest is rolled" etc. Stars can be traded for resources - and they take up no space in your empire.

The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round (Classic Books with Holes)
The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round (Classic Books with Holes)
by Annie Kubler

4.0 out of 5 stars The bus has holey wheels :D, 18 April 2015
Bought as little one will swish and beep already, so thought she would like to be able to instigate the song She likes it a lot, way too much for us!
Running order is
wheels go round
Wipers go Swish
Horn goes beep
Driver says "tickets please"
Parents "chat"
Babies "wah wah"
everyone says "shhh"
Children "party time"/

I've changed driver to door open and shut as that has an action. We sing this a good 20 times a day and book gets poked, prodded and dropped lots during this time. I still looks brand new so very strong. The pictures tell a story as well so all in all very entertaining.

Old Macdonald had a Farm (Classic Books with Holes)
Old Macdonald had a Farm (Classic Books with Holes)
by Pam Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars The animals make strange noises, 18 April 2015
Old Mac is a classic song, I did not read any reviews before i bought this - i genuinely thought there is no way it could be bad- yeah i was wrong.

This is probably a personal thing, but i do think books for this age group should state more contents before purchase. Since baby born we have been teaching her the animal noises, but this book has gone for very "odd" noises.
Dog said Bow Wow - not woof
Horse says "Whinney"- not nay
Pig says "grunt"- not oink
I change the words as she cannot read yet, but the older two want to read it properly, which causes confusion.

Pictures are good, card is strong. Last page has so many holes it is easy to bend, as my little one did as soon as i got it out of envelope! My fault!

Big Bargain 15 x Color Touch Stylus Pen For NDS NINTENDO DS LITE
Big Bargain 15 x Color Touch Stylus Pen For NDS NINTENDO DS LITE
Offered by Viskey(From HK, 15-35 days delivery)

4.0 out of 5 stars value for money, 18 April 2015
Good value for money. Correct size. Only down side (at baby discovered) is that you can pull the nibs out- so watch out for this, if like me you have young children

Child Safety Door Stop Finger Guard Door Jammer Wedge Anti Door Slam Stop NEW
Child Safety Door Stop Finger Guard Door Jammer Wedge Anti Door Slam Stop NEW
Offered by Trade Supplies-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Rubber not foam, 18 April 2015
Good thick durable rubber.

Not had much use yet but has survived a fair few possible door slammings during kids party. Fits our door well (I tend to put it on the top out of sight) so doors are always ajar. Only time and use will tell if it is as good as our 14 year old one. :)

High Quality Yellow Stackable Kids Children Plastic Chair
High Quality Yellow Stackable Kids Children Plastic Chair
Offered by east2eden

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong little chairs, 18 April 2015
Currently a bit too big and light for my 13 month old to get on without getting frustrated, she ends up pushing them around the room while trying to get on (which is rather funny!) . I chose these chairs because they were my classroom chairs for many years (albeit the big size for teenagers). They stand up to a lot of abuse and even these tiddly chairs hold my weight (and sadly i am over the weight limit stated). The teens are happy to sit on them with the toddler so all around happy family. :)

Only downside is that due to colour you can see the thicker bits of the plastic through the seat- which i keep thinking is dirt. I do not think this would be an issue with the blue chairs.

Little Red Riding Hood: Ladybird Touch and Feel Fairy Tales (Ladybird Tales)
Little Red Riding Hood: Ladybird Touch and Feel Fairy Tales (Ladybird Tales)
by Ladybird

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd Story, wrong body parts touchyfied, 18 April 2015
Bought this as "the Gingerbread Man" and " Three Little pigs" are really good. This story has been cutiefied beyond words. Grandma is hiding under the bed and Daddy is walking past so the wolf just runs away. No need for such a change to the story, i grew up on the wolf eating her and the woodcutter cutting the wolf open- I am not irrevocably scarred by this. Aside from this rather strange blunder I also dislike the page of "oh what big eyes you have" and the touchy bit is the wolfs nose. We are currently working on face parts with toddler(13 months) so i think this was a very silly choice of the publishers. Overall I do not choose to read this to her, so for me was a waste of money.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars They fit nicely (size 18), 11 Aug. 2014
Purchased because i am fed up of having a "builders bum" while working in the garden. They fit nicely (size 18), and seem to be good quality. The zip at the front is just decoration, which to me is a bit odd, but i am terribly unfashionable so what do i know! There are buttons at the side to adjust around the tummy which is a good feature. According to the teen the clips are "weird" and not like hers ????

Set of 3 Small Plungers Veined Butterfly Cutters Sugarcraft
Set of 3 Small Plungers Veined Butterfly Cutters Sugarcraft
Offered by Goods-cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 11 Aug. 2014
Well the work. I think they need a fair bit of icing sugar to ensure the pattern does not stick- but I have not used them yet, but the teenagers have and they produced good results. Excellent value for money 75p when I purchased them so you canot go wrong for that price

The Shyamalan Collection: Signs, Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense [5 Disc Collector's Edition] [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, 11 Aug. 2014
Depends if you like his films, they are all fairly slow paced, and the dialog is very important. These films (well the two 12 rated ones) elicited lots of questions from my children and made them think about people and motivations- which I think is really good. As Hitchcock did, Shyamalan appears in all the films, so it is quite fun spotting him.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3