Profile for Flufftafem > Reviews

Content by Flufftafem

Flufftafem (North Lincolnshire UK)

Homemade Gifts Vintage Style
Homemade Gifts Vintage Style
by Sarah Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars 'pretending' isn't creating!, 1 Mar 2012
Oh dear. On first coming into contact with this book, you're easily taken in by the wonderful photography and excellent design and layout. Top marks. However, I didn't find anything in this book to actually make! Everything seems to be buy this, get one of those, buy some ribbon and spend 3 minutes assembling them all together. To me, that isn't being creative or producing something homemade....its cheating!
Some of the things are impossible to come by - you either have an old knackered 1950's suitcase or you dont. There are no patterns in the book (probably because there isn't actually anything to make.) I actually snorted out loud when the author suggests buying some shop bought jam, cut out a circle of fabric, put it over the lid and tie a luggage label round it then 'pretend you made it'! You would have to have a seriously low craft IQ to pull such a dirty trick!
If you're the sort of person who buys pre folded card, press out printed decals and gold sticky labels saying 'happy birthday', and who likes to claim you have made your own cards, you may like this book. However, if you have any shred of creative integrity, give it a miss.

Make a Monster: Over 15 Easy-to-make Fleecie Toys You'll Love to Sew
Make a Monster: Over 15 Easy-to-make Fleecie Toys You'll Love to Sew
by Fiona Goble

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Mayhem!, 7 Jun 2011
I have lots of crafting and textile books, but this one is one of my favourites. The monsters are great, and I have several of them strategically placed around the house, peeking out at any visitors I receive. I felt very inspired when I received this book, and although I have only made a few of the items out of it, I have adapted some of the patterns to create my own monstrosities! The pictoral instructions are easy to use, and the fleece is very easy to manipulate and sew. I would definitely recommend this book and have since bought additional copies for my crafting pals.

Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know: Ten principles for spiritual and emotional fulfillment
by Barbara De Angelis

5.0 out of 5 stars A template for coping with life, 17 Jun 2009
I can't enthuse about this book enough, and agree with all the previous comments about how fantastic it is. I bought this book when it was published in 2000. Since then, the lessons I learned from this book have helped me land on a cushion when life dishes out its knocks. I can't promise you that you'll never cry again or that you won't have wretched moments, but Barbaras writing certainly helps to put things into perspective, and to help you back on your feet. The changes to how I now think about things or tackle problems are very subtle but super effective and I now subconciously apply the 10 principles to every area of my life. I'm a much calmer, more understanding person for it. Buy this book for every woman you care about.

Chernobyl Heart
Chernobyl Heart
by Adi Roche

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and weep, 26 May 2008
This review is from: Chernobyl Heart (Paperback)
I ordered this book in at my local library and I'm ashamed to say that I was naieve and unprepared for the images and information contained within its covers. I have to admit that while I was reading it, I had really vivid and disturbing dreams. Many people asked me why the hell I chose to read something so depressing but although the book disturbed me it also motivated and enlightened me in a way I find hard to describe. You can't say that this is a 'nice' book but it will certainly leave you a more compassionate, humble and grateful human being after you've read it.