Profile for Ben Whitworth > Reviews

Worrisome Wilf's Beastly Bedtime
Worrisome Wilf's Beastly Bedtime
by Martin Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read- my daughter loves it, 6 Nov. 2013
I was one of the Kickstarter backers for this book and it doesn't disappoint. Even though on the face of it the book could be scary to really young children, the fantastical nature of what Wilf thinks he hears means it's not. It's beautifully illustrated and has a lovely rythm when read out loud.

My daughter's a big fan- within 3 days of getting the book she was pointing out to me when I accidentally missed pages out. And as far as I'm concerned that's a better review than I could ever hope to give!

Walks Oban and North Argyll (Hallewell Pocket Walking Guides)
Walks Oban and North Argyll (Hallewell Pocket Walking Guides)
by Paul Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series of walking guides for Scotland, 17 April 2012
This review is about this series of guidebooks in general (rather than this particular one- although it does apply).

Having been to various parts of the Higlands over the past few years, one of the first things I now do when I go to a bit that's new to me is get the relevant book from this series.

Whereas glossier walking books on Scotland cover the whole of the country- so probably might only have one or at a push two walks in the area you're going to- these guides cover a much smaller area and so are much more useful. They also have a walks with a wide range of difficulties so can be used when you're not feeling up for a long walk, the weather isn't great or when you want a real challenge.

They're a must for any holiday we go on to Scotland.

Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession
by Richard Askwith

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read about a sport I knew nothing about..., 17 April 2012
It's a sport I knew nothing about, but the description and previous reviews sold it to me and I'm so glad they did. You don't need to have any knowledge or awareness of the sport to enjoy the book (although some sort of appreciation of the type of terrain helps you appreciate just what these guys can do).

The author combines telling tales of the heroes of the sport with the story of his own efforts following in their footsteps.

If you like sport and/or the outddors (and especially both) I'd recommend this wholeheartedly.

Out Along The Wire
Out Along The Wire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Out Along The Wire (Audio CD)
Like a lot of the reviews here I've been waiting for this album for a while since seeing Tristan busking in Leeds (I need to say we got him to play our wedding so I can't be seen as an impartial reviewer!). There are (to my simple ear) hints of Clapton throughout although it's very definitely Tristan's music and Last Love is utterly wonderful. Suffice to say this is a brilliant album and well worth anyone buying.