ARRAY(0xa3494edc)

Profile for Mr. G. Charlesworth > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Charles...

Mr. G. Charlesworth "gary20312"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Bayonetta (PS3)
Bayonetta (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz
Price: 10.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all Devil May Cry fans, 9 Jan 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bayonetta (PS3) (Video Game)
Firstly I would recommend to all potential buyers of this game that there is a free demo to check out on the PSN Store which should give a general idea of how this game plays. As far as I am concerned I think it is one the first essential titles for the PS3 in 2010!!!

As the title above suggests if you are a fan of the Devil May Cry series you will feel right at home with this game. Combat is very similar as are the movements of the main character and visually it is one of the most stunning games ever released.

The game main attraction for me was the mighty boss battles. I have only completed the prologue and chapters 1 & 2 but it has been tough. When I started the game I went for the normal difficulty setting and it has been really tough to play the harder points of the game, dying and not changing the difficulty to something easier but with perserverance I have managed to overcome the harder parts of the game. Anyone looking for a challenge will find it within this game.

To be honest though the game can become just a matter of mashing buttons frantically but there are challenges throughout the levels to help you learn the devastating combos that bayonetta can perform. One such challenge was to defeat a demon but you are only allowed to kick or punch a certain number of times. I tried my hardest but gave up in frustration.

Another thing that may be of-putting is the lengthy cutscenes and at this point I do seem to have been watching more than playing but these are still entertaining viewing.

Upgrades can be unlocked in 'The Gates Of Hell' which can be purchased at the beginning of every level. These include buying healing items, new moves for Bayonetta and new weapons.

At the end of every level you will be rewarded for how well you did. The rewards start at Stone (bad), bronze, silver, gold and platinum (highest). I replayed the prologue level this morning to raise my rating from Stone to Gold which resulted in more credit to spend in the Gates Of Hell store so there is replay value.

Overall a brilliant game and well recommended if you're looking for a challenge!!!

Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael McIntyre
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 2.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Not that funny!!!, 18 Nov 2009
I'm sorry but I have to admit to agreeing with the other negative reviews for this DVD and say that Michael McIntyre just isn't that funny. I picked this up recently hoping for an hilarious show but after watching over an hour of his performance his brand of observational comedy raised barely more than a chuckle and I found him annoying and can't see what others see in him. He's hardly a comedy genius and he's more like someone a child would appreciate rather than comedy for adults.

Sold the DVD on Amazon next day!!!!!!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2010 10:49 PM GMT

Guitar Hero 5 - Game Only (PS3)
Guitar Hero 5 - Game Only (PS3)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!
Price: 9.05

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the rock songs?, 7 Sep 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
They must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel now!!!! One look at the tracklist for this new Guitar Hero game has put me off buying it already. Do you really want to play along to Stevie Wonder (Yeah rock star!!!).

There are some good songs on here but is it really worth forking out nearly 40 for. I'll wait for the Van Halen GH when it comes out.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2009 12:41 AM BST

Let The Dominoes Fall
Let The Dominoes Fall
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars What the hell happened!!!, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: Let The Dominoes Fall (Audio CD)
It's really hard to slag off a band you love but I'm so gutted with how bad this album is I really had to publish this review!!! If you are a Rancid fan you will know that over the years they have released some of the best rabble-rousing, punch the air with your fist, jump for joy punk albums ever recorded. You wouldn't think so listening to this half-hearted limp-wristed excuse for an album.

It's been six years since the incredible 'Indestructible' album and I was really looking forward to this release but it seems that after this lengthy break Rancid haven't blasted back with another classic but instead decided to release this half-hearted, at times embarrasing collection and I even found that half-way through the album I was getting bored. BORING ISN'T A WORD I WOULD EVER THOUGHT I WOULD USE TO DESCRIBE THIS BAND!!!!!

If you are new to Rancid I urge you to buy any of their other albums but this (I recommend the aforementioned 'Indestructible' and the equally awesome '...And Out Come The Wolves') and avoid this as your first purchase because you'll never bother with them again and would miss out on some classic music.

Gutted I was really looking forward to this.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2010 8:07 PM BST

The Only One
The Only One

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special!, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Only One (MP3 Download)
Firtsly The Wildhearts are my favourite band in the whole world and though I'm not exactly a fan of paying for and downloading my music off the internet I went ahead and downloaded this song anyway as I can't wait too hear the new album!!!!

I must say I'm a little disappointed!!!! To me the appeal of The Wildhearts is that they are a incredible rock n roll band and one of the best this country's ever produced but on the strength of this song my anticipation for the new album has been lessened a bit. For a start its not very exciting, the vocals aren't that great and I hope this is not an indication of what the rest of the album will sound like!!! Also with the band now releasing singles digitally I'm going to miss the incredible b-sides (as they used to be known). If you bought previous wildhearts singles in the past u will know that the other tracks on single releases were some of the best songs ever written (Action Panzer, 29 x The Pain and so on).

Wheelman (PS3)
Wheelman (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad effort., 21 May 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wheelman (PS3) (Video Game)
Ok so I bought this game about a week ago after looking for something new to play and seeing this on the cheap I thought I'd give it a go.

Once I got home I inserted the game into the PS3 and came across the first bad point of the game in that it takes about 30-40 minutes to install and quite a sizeable chunk out of my hard drive disk space but with that done I picked up my pad and settled into the game.

The first thing to note is that as soon as the game is underway you're not really given a decent introduction as to who ur character is and how he came to be in Barcelona where the game is set. Within a few seconds you are launched into the first driving mission (You don't even here Vin Diesel speak until the cut scene after the mission).

The structure of the game is really nothing new with missions dotted around much like Grand Theft Auto and you have the option of either driving to these missions or instantly click onto them via your PDA. Most of these missions are either meet such-and-such somewhere or a high speed chase whilst ramming the enemies vehicle until it is too damaged to drive further. Pretty standard GTA style missions.

As your progress through the game you will unlock side missions which vary from time trials, rampage missions (cause as much damage within a certain time limit), Contract missions (take out their vehicle but repeatedly ramming it), Stealing and delivering certain vehicles before a timer runs out, Street races and so on with more available as you progress.

A couple of great features of the game are in vehicle Focus Attacks where u can blow up any pursuing vehicles with a cyclone attack or any vehicles ahead of you with Aim Shot where the action slows down Matrix style and you will be able to shoot an enemy driver through the windshield of his car. Another is the ability to change vehicle by leaping from the one your driving to another if it is within range (sounds daft but is actually quite fun).

Also dotted around Barcelona are statues that you destroy but colliding with them (bit like finding hidden packages in GTA), stunt jumps and some of the missions require you to get out on foot which involves some shoot-outs.

All in all not a bad game even if it does rob from others like GTA and Burnout but you'll soon forgive its lack of a decent story and be stuck into it in no time.

Good effort.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button [DVD] [2009]
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 18 April 2009
This is one of the worst and most boring films I have ever seen. Went to the cinema to see this when it was released with my girlfriend thinking that it would be an interesting film but once you fully realise where the plot is heading it becomes very dull and little did I realise at the time but this film is really long. It took quite a bit of effort not to walk out of the cinema before the end.

Worst film I've seen at the flicks since Guy Ritchies 'Revolver'

AVOID!!!

Spirit - The Deluxe Edition [CD+DVD]
Spirit - The Deluxe Edition [CD+DVD]
Price: 6.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Given up and finally bought it!!!!, 9 Dec 2008
To be perfectly honest 12 months ago I wouldn't have been seen dead buying anything that was a result of a TV show. Even when I heard her debut single and grudgingly had to admit it wasn't bad I couldn't see myself forking out for the album.

This all changed last week!!! When I first heard new single 'Run' on the radio at work it sent shivers down my spine but I had no idea it was Leona until I asked a colleague and was jaw droppingly amazed so as soon as payday arrived I rushed out to buy it.

Since then I have been listening to this album non-stop and I finally have to concede that a true star has been found due to the X Factor.

If you are thinking of purchasing this album I highly recommend it. It reminds me of how Mariah Carey used to sound when she first started out and even draws comparisons to Whitney Houston and other great female singers. Truly unbelievable voice.

I really hope she has a long career and is not another here today gone tomorrow act as on the strength of this album she can only get better and better.

Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)
Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 16.08

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same really!, 14 Nov 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok so I received my copy through the post today and have been playing this game for a good 5 or 6 hours now so I thought I would give you a quick idea of my first impressions.

As soon as I had inserted the disc there was a brief hold-up whilst update data was installed which took about a minute and a half and then I launched straight into the multiplayer.

Now to be honest from what I have seen of the multiplayer from about 10 team deathmatches is that not much has changed from COD4 Modern Warfare. The menus are exactly the same and the gameplay (though now set in WWII) is basically identical to that of its predecessor. Of course the weapons are slightly different as they represent that era but again not much has changed.

One notable change is that when you kill 5 enemies in a row online you can release attack dogs rather than an airstrike. Also this time round you can use vehicles such as tanks which is a nice touch (even though I haven't been able to get hold of one yet). Also as before as your rank progresses you can unlock new weapons and perks as well as new challenges but these are almost identical to COD4. All in all though the online aspect of this game is pretty solid. Another new feature though is 4 player co-op games where you can invite players from your friends list to compete in online game.

Now to the single player game which is again very solid looks impressive and the few missions I have played so far have been exciting with good voice acting (which includes 24's Keifer Sutherland) and graphically looks superb. This version also supports Trophies which was sadly never added to Call Of Duty 4 and give you the chance to show off your gaming skills to your friends online.

So all-in-all this is another great Call Of Duty game which I'm sure will have you glued to the TV until the early hours of the morning with its brilliant online and well worth forking out for even if it does feel a little bit like just an update of the previous COD4.

100 Hits: Rock
100 Hits: Rock
Price: 8.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money compilation, 8 Sep 2008
This review is from: 100 Hits: Rock (Audio CD)
This is a surprising collection in that with most rock collections you get the usual songs but with this collection the tracklist is surprising and very varied and rather than rely on the standard rock song's (Ace Of Spades, All Right Now and so on) this offers an array of bands from Glam (The Sweet), Classic Rock (ZZ Top, Alice Cooper), Metal (Judas Priest, Pantera) Alt-Rock (Screaming Trees), Grunge (Alice In Chains).

Add to that the fact that you may own some of these songs (as I do) I was quite surprised to find the bulk of this collection was new to me. Add to that the fact that it is 100 songs over five discs at such a great price and you can't go wrong.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5