Profile for Mr. G. Charlesworth > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Charles...

Mr. G. Charlesworth "gary20312"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Rockferry
Rockferry
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut!!!!!, 24 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Now I'll be honest and admit that I normally buy/listen to nothing but rock and punk albums since I was 16 (I'm now 33) but every so often I will come across some pop/soul acts that are brilliant. This is the case with this album.

After hearing Mercy when it reached number one in the charts I wasn't exactly blown away but I thought it was a good record. After hearing Warwick Avenue though I took the plunge and bought the album and I must say it is the best album I have bought so far this year.

If you are looking for an album to chill out to in the summer (with any luck!!!) months then this is the one. Ok so the songs are sad about heartbreak but I downloaded this onto my I-Pod before I went away and was listening to it constantly.

As well as the singles which I am sure you've heard the remainder of the album is excellent my favourite song being 'I'm Scared' which stuck in my head as soon as I heard it and was one of those songs I played over and over again. It's a very sad song but her voice is brilliant. Other highlights are 'Serious' and 'Stepping Stone'.

If you're a fan of stuff like Dusty Springfield and old '60s soul I would heavily recommend.

Hope for more of the same when she releases her next album!!!!

Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Offered by EVERGAME

3.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT, 14 May 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Right so after been a fan of the series since gta iii arrived on ps2 i can't believe how let down i feel by this game. Ok so the graphics and gameplay are ok but for a series making its debut on a next gen console I feel that so much more could be done with game. Whereas GTA San Andreas was overflowing with ideas this seems half-hearted and another example where developers have rushed out a game for PS3 (Pro Evo, FIFA 08) where as a little more effort could have made it so much better.

Whats happened to all the stuff you used to go around collecting in the previous series; why does so such a large city in this game feel so confined and claustrophobic. I hope that Rockstar haven't been holding some content back that they would ordinarily have put in so that it can't be sold at stupid prices on the playstation store which in itself is a ripoff.

Hopefully the next installment of GTA will be an improvement but this is a big disappointment for me.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game of the Year 2009 Edition  (PS3)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game of the Year 2009 Edition (PS3)
Offered by MICRO LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PS3 game out there, 22 Jan. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Finally after owning a PS3 for 5 months a game comes out that makes paying the console's hefty price tag. Put simply this game is nothing short of brilliant!!

Firstly if you have played a call of duty game before you will be in for a treat if you buy this game. Moving away from the previous World War II setting the game is now set in the present and is all the better for it. The graphics are brilliant but the selling point for this game and the reason you should buy it is the incredible online mode.

I have been playing online solidly for over a month now and I can't get enough of it. When you first go online you will be asked to complete certain challenges such as kill so many enemies with a certain weapon ie a shotgun or sniper rifle. For this you will gain experience points, the more you gain the more challenges you will unlock plus weapons and completing challenges improves your rank (general, leuitenant, colonel etc). Winning matches online is hard when you are a beginner but very rewarding. You can also use airstrikes and call in a chopper if you get enough kills in an online game.

To be honest the game has a single player but I have been pretty much ignoring it because the online mode is so incredible.

If like me you have had a PS3 for a while and have been waiting for a decent game to come along this is it. I have bought other games since I bought this but this has been taking up all my time.

If your PS3 is online BUY IT NOW!!!

Glam Greats 2: 20 SEVENTIES SENSATIONS
Glam Greats 2: 20 SEVENTIES SENSATIONS

4.0 out of 5 stars GLAMTASTIC, 18 Jan. 2008
Recently picked this up just for Teenage Rampage by the Sweet as I think it is the greatest song of all time. There is a lot of good stuff on here most of it from before I was even born but if you are looking for a glam rock album you can't really go wrong especially as I picked it up for next to nothing.

Enjoy

St. Anger [CD + DVD]
St. Anger [CD + DVD]
Offered by rbmbooks

1.0 out of 5 stars For gods sake knock it on the head now, 18 Jan. 2008
This review is from: St. Anger [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
After becoming a metallica fan after hearing the black album in the early 90s I immediately became hooked on the band and subsequently bought the entire back catalogue.

Now whenever a new metallica album is on the horizon I give a shudder because I know it is not going to live up to the bands early incendiary work and St Anger was no exception. This has got to be the lamest metal album to come out in recent memory devoid of one single decent song and it leaves no lasting impression whatsoever. Saying that the band is getting to old is not good enough seeing as bands of a similar age such as Iron Maiden, Slayer and Judas Priest can still come up with the goods.

Ignore this album and buy Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning instead because this is terrible. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2008 12:13 AM BST

Guitar Hero 1 Bundle  (PS2)
Guitar Hero 1 Bundle (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 18 Sept. 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't played this just how much of a GOD this game makes you feel. From the second you strap on the guitar and start playing along to your first song this game becomes instantly addictive and is also easy to pick (doesn't make for an easy game though).

I've only been playing for a while and already my hands aching from playing but I can't stop.

Basically this game contains some great songs and four difficulty levels (I am currently trying to get to grips with level 2) plus you can earn money from level 2 onwards to unlock new songs, guitars and so on so there is plenty to do and master.

Brilliant in every way and Amazon had it at the cheapest price I could find.

Buy and enjoy!!!!

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2): 1/7
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2): 1/7
by Paul McCusker

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the best childrens books ever, 5 April 2006
I recently bought this book and read it again some 20 years after I first read it. I'm now 30 years old and I have to say for a children's book this is still magical to read even as an adult.
Reading through it again I remembered how it made me feel as a child when Lucy stepped through the wardrobe into Narnia right to the end with great characters such as Aslan, the four children and Mr Tumnus.
Definitely worth buying if you have young children who love to read.

Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix (PS2)
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix (PS2)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent exciting racing!!!, 23 Mar. 2006
I must admit I was a bit unsure about buying this game even after all the favourable reviews I had read in magazines. I've got Gran Turismo, the Burnout games, TOCA etc, did I really need another racing game.
Anyway when I saw this going cheap I decided to take a chance and bought a copy. I wasn't disappointed!!!!
I have been playing this for a couple of weeks now and I have still only just made it to the second of the three cities.
There are many race types including tournaments and face-offs to win newer cars or upgrades for current vehicles. The gameplay is excellent and you will be hooked from the start with plenty of races and cars, bikes, SUVs to unlock.
Definitely my favourite racing game on PS2 after the Burnout games.

Grievous Acoustic Behaviour: Live At 12 Bar
Grievous Acoustic Behaviour: Live At 12 Bar
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocks best songwriter in fine form, 11 Mar. 2006
I must admit I am not a huge fan of live albums, Thin Lizzy's Live and dangerous and AC/DC's If You want blood aside but i was pleasantly surprised by this double CD.
The Wildhearts have been my favourite band for a long time and this collection serves as a reminder of just what a great songwriter Ginger is and his between song banter is warm and funny.
You can feel that the audience greatly enjoyed this show and I wish I'd been there but this album is second best thing to that.

Master Of Puppets
Master Of Puppets
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The ULTIMATE metal albums, 11 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Master Of Puppets (Audio CD)
This is without a doubt one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time and is arguably Metallica's finest.
Unrelenting is the best word to describe this album from the opening brutality of Battery, through the title track to the last note of Damage Inc this is a metal masterclass in great songwriting, heavy riffs and some brilliant guitar solos.
If you are just discovering this band I recommend this above all there other albums (stay away from anything done after the black album in 1991, they are awful) and it is a collection of songs that don't seem to have aged to much with time.
Buy now!!!