ARRAY(0xadf3d3cc)

Profile for I saw the light > Reviews

Content by I saw the light

I saw the light (Croatia)

Page: 1 | 2
Rock 'N' Roll Man
Rock 'N' Roll Man
Offered by raucous-records
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Lifeless versions of the rock'n'roll classics, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rock 'N' Roll Man (Audio CD)
Compilation of mostly covers of the great rock'n'roll classics by The Wild Angels, rock'n'roll revival band from the late 60's. Almost every song is inferior to the original version, and Mal Gray's voice is average, not recognisable and lifeless. There is a reason why they are forgotten, and why they never had a hit record.
The Wild Angels were back up band for Gene Vincent on his 1969 England tour, and apparently 'his act was exasperated by the Wild Angels, who would take the "mickey" out of him, behind his back'. On this cd there are 2 versions of 'Good Golly Miss Molly'. One from Mal Gray, and one from Gene Vincent, both backed up by Wild Angels. After just one listen, it is obvious that Gene Vincent, only a few years before his death, ruined with alcohol and bad health still has that something that Mal Gray and The Wild Angels never had.

Rock And Roll Dreamer
Rock And Roll Dreamer
Price: 10.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Great albums in average sound quality, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rock And Roll Dreamer (Audio CD)
I bought this double cd from Jasmine Records, and I gave it away because of the average sound quality. The same four Johnny Burnette's albums you can find in the much better sound, remastered from the original tapes on BGO's 'Rock'n'Roll Trio/ Tear It Up' and 'Dreamin'/ Johnny Burnette' cd's.
Jasmine Records, the label who is pickin' up on expired copy rights in Europe, is still better then terrible Hallmark, but miles away from the serious labels like Sepia and Hoodoo Records. Please invest some money in remastering and sources.

Come Softly To Me: All Their Biggest Hits & 4 Complete Albums
Come Softly To Me: All Their Biggest Hits & 4 Complete Albums
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality, 14 Aug 2013
It's a nice idea to put 4 Fleetwoods albums together on 2 cd's, but in 2013, when enyone can remaster audio by using variety of pc remastering programs, it is sad to release a cd with such poor sound quality.
But Jasmine records is well known for using the expired copyrights in Europe, and doing a sad job with the sound on their cd's.
Back to the Fleetwoods, anyway.
If you want to own a high quality compilation with all the hits and rare album tracks (65 tracks) please search for 'Chronicle Through The Years' double cd. The sound is perfect, one would think that the songs were recorded yesterday, not 50 and something years ago.
All in all, I don't think that Jasmine cd will find the way to mu cd player again. Such a shame and vasted oportunitty..

Teen Scene: Gems From The Fontana Vaults (1958-1962)
Teen Scene: Gems From The Fontana Vaults (1958-1962)
Price: 6.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing sound quality, 17 April 2013
One Day Music, the label behind this cd is picking up on the expired copyrights in Europe. The laws have changed now, and 1962 is the last year free of free copyrights. No more, that's it.

The label released a bunch of cd's, pretty good ones, covering the 50's and early 60's popular, rock'n'roll and rockabilly hits and obscurities on Roullete, Dot, Columbia, Rca, Mgm, Mercury, just to name a few. Those cd's had pretty good sound, and despite the source other then master tapes, they've been decently remastered.

Now, in 2013, One Day Music started to release cd's without any effort to remaster or improve the sound. It begun with 'The United Artists Story' (3 cd's) and now it continues with the 'Gems From Fontana Vaults'. The sound on half of the songs is hissy, full of crakles and pops from the old lp's. Some songs sound decent, though.
Anyway, here we have a mixed bag again (on 3 cd's- quantity instead (sound) quality)), some really hard to find artists like The Allisons or Gar Bacon, and some well known big names like Roy Hamilton, Marty Robbins or Aretha Franklin.

All in all, really low price and a dozen obscurities makes this cd a good buy if you are collector, but nothing more then that. Bad sound quality and lack of any remastering is going to keep this cd on the cd shelf instead in my cd player.

Keen Records Story
Keen Records Story
Price: 6.16

4.0 out of 5 stars The first 4 albums, 1957-59, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: Keen Records Story (Audio CD)
On this 3 cd set we have the first 4 Sam Cooke albums for the Keen label (Sam Cooke, Encore, Tribute To The Lady and Hit Kit). The label who released this cd is picking up on the expired copy rights in Europe, so as we would expect, the sound on this cd is not top noch (most likely mastered using the old LP's or some source other then the master tapes) but it is very listenable.
Anyway, your getting 4 out of print Sam Cook albums in a 3 fold digipack for a few pounds and that's more then a good deal. Recommended!

CD 1

1. God Bless The Child
2. She's Funny That Way
3. I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
4. Good Morning, Heartache
5. Ain't Nobody's Bizness (If I Do)
6. Comes Love

Bonus Tracks:

13. Desire Me
14. Almost In Your Arms
15. Stealing Kisses
16. Win Your Love For Me (Alt. Version)

Best of Johnny Tillotson
Best of Johnny Tillotson
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and low price 'best of' from EMI Australia, 20 Oct 2010
This excellent 'Best Of' compilation from EMI Australia (not to be confused with poor sound quality 'Best Of' from Pegasus) identical to Collectables 'Golden Classics', although this cd containes 2 more songs (I Fall To Pieces and Judy Judy Judy) and it's a little bit cheaper. All songs are original, the sound is really good and the cd is enjoyable all the way through. Recommendable!

01. Poetry In Motion
13. Pledging My Love
14. Cutie Pie
15. Well, I'm Your Man
16. I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
17. It Keeps Right On A Hurtin'
18. Talk Back Trembling Lips
19. I Fall To Pieces
20. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Note: NOT to be confused with poor quality 18 tracks 'Best Of' from Pegasus!

Wild One,The: The Very Best Of (Std Edtn) 25 Track
Wild One,The: The Very Best Of (Std Edtn) 25 Track

4.0 out of 5 stars much to be desired.., 19 Oct 2010
I've never owned a cd of Johnny O'Keefe in my collection, so when I saw this particular cd in the local cd shop for only 9,99 $, I gave it a try.

THE FRONT COVER: The gold background reminds me on Elvis nr.1 hits cd, and there is a picture of the man with the microphone in the middle. Poor choice. That person can be anyone..They've probably tried to be modern, but I'd appreciate a real photo of Johnny O'Keefe on the front cover and maybe some more colorful presentation.

THE SOUND: When I put the cd in my cd player I was really disappointed with the sound quality. In the first two songs instruments sound muffled and the bass is way too heavy. Maybe they are just badly recorded, I don't know..
The rest is better, although I have a feeling that the overall sound is messy and dull (lifeless) with again too much low level (bass) tones . I should also add that there is a statement in the booklet from the sound engineer who claims that the songs have been mastered from the original master tapes. I'm not impressed with the result I'm afraid..

THE MUSIC: Although on the cover it says THE VERY BEST the producers didn't include a few significant Johnny O'Keefe's hits: Swanee River/ The Steady Game (# 12), Don't You Know (#1), Ready For You (#4), Shake Baby Shake (# 8), It's Too Late (#1 in New Orleans in 1960), Six O Clock Rock etc.
They've put some covers instead (To Love Somebody, When I Fall In Love, The Twist, You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care)). They don't sound as good as the original versions in my opinion.

THE BOOKLET: The booklet is well presented, with some photos of Johnny O'Keefe and a nice essay about J.O.K. career. The only thing is that they didn't bother to mention the year each track was recorded. It would be nice to mention the chart positions too..

However, despite imperfections, there is lots of good music on this cd, and the casual Johnny O'Keefe fan will be happy to buy it. The wildest rock'n'roll singer in the history of Australian music surely knew how to rock!

NOTICE: This is review of the 1 cd edition of "Johnny O'Keefe - The Wild One - The Very Best"!

Track List:

01. Do You Love Me
02. You Excite Me
03. Move Baby Move
04. She's My Baby
05. The Wild One (Real Wild Child)
06. Shout (Parts 1 & 2)
07. To Love Somebody
08. I'm Counting On You
09. To Love
10. Sing
11. Right Now
12. So Tough
13. Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Parts 1 & 2)
14. Come On And Take My Hand
15. Save The Last Dance For Me
16. She Wears My Ring
17. I Thank You
18. When I Fall In Love
19. I Can't Stop Loving You
20. The Twist
21. Mockingbird (with Margaret McClaren)
22. You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care)
23. Rock'n'Roll Will Stand
24. I Ain't Gonna Do It
25. The Wild One (tribute by Jet & Iggy Pop)

Vol. 2-Hazy Memories
Vol. 2-Hazy Memories

5.0 out of 5 stars The twilight zone of the early 60's, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Vol. 2-Hazy Memories (Audio CD)
A beautiful compilation of the less famous, but really enjoyable, pop hits of the early sixties. Almost all songs charted on the Sydney and Melbourne pop charts and some of them nowhere else in the world.

It's pretty rare to find on one cd such rarities as: Millie-'Sweet William' (follow up of her big hit 'My Boy Lollipop'), Sonny James-'Apache' (a singing' version of the famous Shadows hits), Kyu Sakamoto-'China Nights' (follow up of Sukiyaki), Vic Dana-'Hello Roommate' (a beautiful teen ballad in The Fleetwoods style, not available on the best of Vic Dana compilations), The Glencoves-'Hootenanny' (recorded live in the university's student lounge), Sue Tompson-Willie Can, Jody Miller-He Walks Like A Man (brilliant!) and so on and on.

The sound is generally very well remastered (you can tell that some rare tracks have been taken from the vinyl source, though) and the whole cd is very enjoyable. I gave it at least 10 spins in the first few days after I received it and I can tell you that there is not one weak song on it. The booklet is written in a clever way, it's interesting and it has 16 pages with some nice pictures. Running time of the cd is 75:57.

What else I can say? This great Australian cd instantly became my favorite early 60's compilation. In my opinion the content is sligtly better then the Ace's 'The Golden Age Of American Popular Music' and 'Teenage Crush' series or Eric's 'Teen Time: The Young Years Of Rock'n'Roll'. It's a hidden gem, with so many great songs. Get it while you can, satisfaction is guaranteed.

Highly recommended!

31. Sounds Incorporated - William Tell Overture

One Night Stand!: Live At The Harlem Square Club
One Night Stand!: Live At The Harlem Square Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Ruining the sound away.., 14 Jun 2009
RCA/BMG/Sony is a strange company - they earned billions of dollars on Elvis and they still screwed up almost all Elvis' album reisuess in 90's and in the beginning of this decade with bad mixing and mastering. So, why would Sam Cooke be an exception?
The sound on this cd causes me a headache. A very good and exciting show of one of the greatest singers in popular music history, unfortunately, it is very painfull to listen to.
Bad mix, that's all - there is so many high level tones that I have to put the treble button on my receiver to zero. Up front in the mix are very, very loud cymbals (my god, it's noisy), Sam's voice and flat bass. Audience, sax, guitars? Forget it..
People at RCA/BMG/Sony are without any musical ear or they are completely deaf. Or maybe they just don't care.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have sensation in ACE 'Golden Age' series!, 14 Jun 2009
Before I bought this cd I had some reservations towards the quality of the songs that didn't come into the Billboard's Hot 100 chart between 1959-63. Having all 11 'normal' cd's in the series and a few special editions, I just missed this one.
After I gave it a spin, I can just say: WOW!

On the whole cd there is not one bad or filler song! It's pure magic.
Though all these songs were strong regional/ minor national hits, there are some famous performers here like Ronnie Hawkins, Ral Donner, Del Vikings, Bobby Bare, Freddie Fender etc.

The song selection is excellent, and there is a fistfull of everything, pure rock'n'roll/ doo-wop/ instrumental/ country/ pop/ girl groups/ rhythm'n'blues, just name it.

I should also say that the sound is AWESOME, most likely mastered from original tapes and the booklet has a unbelievable 42 pages.
A simply wonderful cd and one of the best in ACE's 'The Golden Age Of American Rock'n'Roll' series.

Satisfaction garanteed!