Profile for connie cymru > Reviews

Jazz & Improvised Piano
Jazz & Improvised Piano
by James Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars James Taylor's Jazz & Improvised Piano, 12 Jun 2013
This is the book I have been waiting for - and now it's here. I cannot believe it. A book
I can understand because it's written in plain English, is informative and quite frankly -
a joy to read.
Learning to play the piano was a chore - I was not naturally gifted - but
I knew all those years ago that I wanted to play jazz - and now I am making progress -
and it is all thanks to James. Here is a music expert who clearly has a way with words and
knows what would-be jazz musicians want. A big THANK YOU to James Taylor.

Somewhere to Lay My Head
Somewhere to Lay My Head
by Robert Douglas
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars somewhere to lay my head, 19 Mar 2010
This is the second book in the trilogy and Robert Douglas's second masterpiece. I read 'Night song of the last tram' by chance from a recommendation. I certainly wouldn't have chosen it myself as mistakenly assumed from the title and cover that the book was all about trams and transport. Not my cup of tea. How wrong can you be! And look what I would have missed.
I was then hooked, following the memoir of his childhood with 'Somewhere to lay my head' - the story when he left Glasgow for Cosford Air Base, and I have just finished 'At Her Majesty's Pleasure.'
Robert Douglas has a simple, beautiful style of writing that makes the reader feel comfortable. I immediately think of the phrase, 'settling down with a good book.' His sense of humour comes through as well, as does his strong sense of injustice. I particularly like the detailed way he writes and learned so much about the workings of ordinary everyday life in the forces, down the coal mine and the dockside. And there's the prison service. Enlightening.
For someone whose early life was blighted by an unkind father, he bears no ill-will. That, I believe, is testament to the way he was loved and cherished by his caring mother.

A Different Kind of Courage: Gretel's Story
A Different Kind of Courage: Gretel's Story
by Claudia Strachan

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of courage, Gretel's story, 17 Mar 2010
It was good to read a war story about a far from ordinary German citizen who actively fought against the Nazi regime in her own small way. Gretel believed that even the smallest act of sabotage or smallest contribution (in her case, her involvement in the black market) could help in the fight against the Nazis. Anything she could do to throw a spanner in the works of an evil system gave her immense satisfaction. You can only marvel at her courageous acts of defiance and bravery as she went about her daily life, never sure who could be trusted and always mindful not to draw attention to herself and those she sought to help. She lived a life fraught with danger and it's good that her story has been told.
A compelling, wonderful story.

From a Clear Blue Sky: Surviving the Mountbatten Bomb
From a Clear Blue Sky: Surviving the Mountbatten Bomb
by Timothy Knatchbull
Price: 17.51

5.0 out of 5 stars From a clear blue sky by Timothy Knatchbull, 17 Mar 2010
A book which shares personal, intimate feelings about a truly appalling time in the author's life. It's his way of endeavouring to come to terms with the tragedy which devastated his family as well as others in the small fishing village and beyond. A warm-hearted, intelligently-written acccount. It was a privilege to be drawn into the way the author dealt with his sorrow, and an insight into a family which also suffered from the troubles.
A humbling book and one that should be read. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Speaking For Myself: The Autobiography
Speaking For Myself: The Autobiography
by Cherie Blair
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaking for myself by Cherie Blair, 16 Mar 2010
There always seemed to be such negativity in the press when it came to Cherie Blair so I was curious to learn for myself what made her tick. I read the book with an open mind and found it enlightening and enjoyable, dotted here and there with an obvious keen sense of humour.
She is clearly an intelligent woman with nous but there's also a sense of innocence which has perhaps led her to being a much-maligned individual. It's a generous account of what has turned out to be a privileged life - even though her beginnings were fraught with problems. She has a story to tell and she tells it well and in so doing, comes across as a thoroughly down-to-earth, decent person. I was impressed.
Don't search for principles and ideology, just read, learn and see what you think. As I did. And I ended up with nothing but admiration for the woman.

Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy
Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy
by Peter Canellos
Price: 16.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Lion - Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy, 15 Mar 2010
An insight into Ted Kennedy's life. If you're a reader of Kennedy books, then one not to be missed, and if you're not, then do read it as it's enlightening. A revealing, easy-to-read account of the youngest son's life and his place in a remarkable family. The tragedies and set-backs he endured, personally and professionally, and how over time he became transformed into a statesman and came to be seen as the voice of liberalism by a forgiving nation. In spite of well-documented mistakes over the years, Ted Kennedy made amends against all the odds.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars i want what they've got by james taylor, 12 Nov 2009
What a useful book.I now know where I've been going wrong BUT thanks to James Taylor, know how to improve things. Easy to read. Compact enough to be carried in a pocket or handbag. Everyone should have a copy and if not, a perfect stocking-filler.

Raindrops in the Sun: A Personal Memoir
Raindrops in the Sun: A Personal Memoir
by Marged Llewelyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Raindrops in the Sun: a personal memoir by Marged Llewelyn, 10 Nov 2009
A sensitively written account of an unsettled upbringing in South Wales in the 1950s, owing to her parents' divorce. An eye-opener as to how life could be so distressing for a young child - all because of the stigma attached to divorce back then, making her instantly different to other children. Bullying followed and she had to draw on an in-built determination to somehow survive. Working hard at school was her way forward and her way out of the narrow-minded atmosphere of village life which enveloped her. By reaching back into the past in a humourous way, the writer's childhood is finally confronted with surprising results. An insight into 1950s life and education.