Profile for Keith Trangmar > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
REWIRE SECURITY TK102 NANO MAGNETIC VEHICLE & PERSONAL GPS TRACKER TK102B
REWIRE SECURITY TK102 NANO MAGNETIC VEHICLE & PERSONAL GPS TRACKER TK102B

4.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 20 Nov. 2014
There are quite a few similar products to this available on Amazon and certain other, ahem, "marketplace"-type sites, but apparently the quality varies widely. The "TK102" part number appears to be common to many of them, and perhaps they are indeed all the same item just repackaged slightly differently, but either way Rewire Security do appear to have done a good job of it in this instance. There are cheaper ones, but often you get what you pay for, and this one doesn't exactly break the bank. Most importantly, it works.

The unit is tiny, about 5cm x 3cm x 1cm and comes supplied with 2 batteries, a charging unit and a USB-connector-type charging cable. It also has 2 interchangeable back-plates, one of which is magnetic. The Amazon blurb for this unit focuses on it's use in vehicles but I bought this to help keep track of my aging father, who is now in the habit of wandering off into town and forgetting that he didn't tell us, and not noticing that his phone was going off. It does also come with a clear plastic water-proof wallet with belt loop which is good for attaching to his clothing so that he doesn't take it out of a pocket and put it down somewhere. There's also a mini CD in the box but I've not investigated it's contents yet.

I can't testify as to the battery life, but in terms of functionality I'm pleased to say it does the job well for which I bought it. The manual is in English, not a dreadful translation, although it's very small and a bit sparse - written by a techie person I suspect. I work in IT myself so I didn't have any problem with it but I know my mum would have done, for example, and it's worth reading through the whole thing to get an understanding of it all before trying to use it for the first time, as tempting as that may be. There's quite a lot of clever stuff which it's capable of if you care to experiment - geo-fence, speed warning, "shock" warning (i.e. falling over), automatic redirect of text messages from certain numbers etc., and I'll probably get around to trying these at some point, but our main objective was simply "Where's Dad?" and this was relatively painless to get up and running.

Once it's all set up you have a choice of requesting a single location notification or a finite series of them at set intervals, all of which is achieved by sending SMS command messages to the unit, to which it replies. Each command engenders a response, which of course costs you one text message each time, so be prepared to spend a couple of quid on the first day getting it all set up and testing it out. A free SIM is supplied in the box but I've no doubt the rates would not be competitive so I picked up a PAYG one in Asda (also free) which costs 8p per text and is hosted by the EE network. You'll need to put it in an unlocked phone to begin with in order to top it up, then transfer it into the GPS unit.

I've seen complaints in other reviews that the responses to location requests include a Google Maps link which doesn't work but that's *not* the case with this model - we did have a couple of false starts where the unit apparently hadn't achieved a satellite connection and hence didn't have a latitude-and-longitude to use but most of the time it worked fine and the link which it serves up takes you straight to the unit's location. Obviously you need to be using a "smart phone" for this to work i.e. an iPhone, Android or Windows Phone device - something that can run a Google Maps app anyway, so your trusty 10-year-old Nokia will not be up to the job. Although it's theoretically possible to type the lat-and-long manually into Google or Bing on a PC, in practice this would be a chore and the slightest mistake could result in the map position being 5 miles out, so I don't believe that's a viable option. You would also only be able to use it from home, unless you plan to carry a laptop around with you and hunt for WiFi hotspots while you're out...

As I say the manual could be better but overall we're very happy with it.

Pasos 2 CD Complete Pack an Intermediate Course in Spanish: Complete Course Pack
by Martyn Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars some of which sound like they were made whilst seated inside an oil drum, 20 Oct. 2014
Using this in my 3rd year of Spanish, as suggested by the tutor. This version includes the CDs and a couple of booklets of (I think) audio transcripts, which I've not actually looked at, but does NOT include the "Activity book" - not that I wanted it anyway. Don't make the mistake of ordering the Activity book instead of this one - one of my fellow students did - they're not the same thing, and you'll just end up returning it. As with the previous Pasos book, my only criticism would be the quality of the audio recordings on the CD, some of which sound like they were made whilst seated inside an oil drum, or with the microphone at the other side of the room - disappointingly amateurish - which doesn't make it any easier to recognise & understand what the participants are saying.

Deathless
Deathless

3.0 out of 5 stars Russian folk tale, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Deathless (Kindle Edition)
It's a complete mystery to me why Amazon suggested this book to me in the first place, as it's nothing like anything I've read previously - and actually I wonder why I bought it, I think the "deal of the day" 99p price tag was probably a big factor.

Okay if you like this sort of thing I suppose but really not to my taste, I only finished it because I'm loathe to put down any book once I've started it, *just* in case it gets more interesting later on. Unfortunately, for me at least, this didn't.

The Sirens of Titan
The Sirens of Titan

3.0 out of 5 stars B-movie sci-fi, 18 Mar. 2014
A Hugo winner it may be, but if you're a fan of the more recent generations of authors then don't be tempted by this just because it's a bargain - it's well written and relatively engaging but having been written in the late fifties before there had been *any* attempts at space flight, it's overly simplistic, doesn't assume any tech-savvyness of it's audience, and it akin to the classic sci-fi movie of the same era, "Forbidden Planet". Actually I love that particular movie despite having grown up with Star Wars, but The Sirens Of Titan just isn't quite that good, in my humble opinion; Philip K Dick was probably at his most prolific around the same time (or maybe a few years later) but his work is much more visionary than this, so if you fancy trying something "retro", try him instead.

Shift: (Wool Trilogy 2) (Wool Trilogy Series)
Shift: (Wool Trilogy 2) (Wool Trilogy Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 Dec. 2013
Un-put-downable, as are the two other books in the series, but be sure to read them in the correct order - do NOT start with this one, even though it's billed as a Prequel, as it will ruin the whole series for you; make sure you have read "Wool" before you start on this one, and leave "Dust" for last.

Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)
Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected delight, 17 Dec. 2013
I'd never heard of this before it was suggested to me automatically by Amazon, and oh what a treat it was. Don't let the title put you off, it's merely a reference to a minor plot element. Un-put-downable, as are the two other books in the series, but be sure to read them in the correct order - don't start with Shift, even though it's billed as a Prequel, as it will ruin the whole series for you.

Anansi Boys
Anansi Boys

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but great fun, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Anansi Boys (Kindle Edition)
Not entirely unpredictable once you've established where it's going, but a thoroughly enjoyable ride all the same. Surely this is crying out to be made into a movie script...?

The Long War (Long Earth 2)
The Long War (Long Earth 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 6 Sept. 2013
Having thoroughly enjoyed "The Long Earth", this was for me, as so many other reviewers, rather disappointing; it takes nearly a quarter of the book before it really gets going, and then never quite gets fully up-to-speed before petering out again at the end somewhat quickly. The final plot device leaves it looking very likely that there will be a 3rd book in the same series at some point, but I won't be awaiting it anywhere near as eagerly as I was this one.

The Enemy of My Enemy (Brainrush series Book 2)
The Enemy of My Enemy (Brainrush series Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one, 31 May 2013
The original "Brainrush" was awash with clichés, but having finished it (and already purchased this one in advance) I must admit to feeling compelled, in spite of myself, to discover the fates of the characters from the first book, and sure enough the author does provide. The plot of this one is equally as fast-paced, and with less new superhero-esque characters being introduced this time around, credibility isn't stretched quite so far.

The ending is rather abrupt, and the "taster" first chapter of Brainrush 3 gives a clue as to why, but I personally feel it's likely to be a bit samey and my appetite was not sufficiently whetted to tempt me to shell out for that one too. Perhaps when I've finished reading "Inferno"...

The Long Earth
The Long Earth
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite your usual Pratchett, 15 May 2013
This review is from: The Long Earth (Hardcover)
Don't expect any comparisons to the superb Disc World and it's ilk, this is more obviously a Stephen Baxter novel with a healthy dose of Sir Terry's humour mixed in, but very good all the same. Upon completely it I did feel rather like it had just run out of steam all of a sudden in the last chapter or two, and concluded (hoped) that this meant there would be more to come in a follow-up novel. Sure enough one has indeed subsequently been released and is now on my wish list...

Page: 1 | 2