Profile for Mr. C. Day > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Day

Mr. C. Day "christopher-day" (Oxford, UK)

Under a Triumphant Sky: A Bike Across America Story
Under a Triumphant Sky: A Bike Across America Story
by Steve Garufi

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic book! Steve is an amazing guy who has ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This is a fantastic book! Steve is an amazing guy who has been a real inspiration to me in my life. A couple of years ago, I decided that my life had been stuck in a bit of a rut and was lacking direction. I decided to shake things up in the most dramatic way possible, by undertaking a crazy dream - to cycle across the USA! Naturally, my first action was to do a lot of research on the internet, which is where I found Steve's blogs about his two solo bike rides across America. I was immediately struck by his positive attitude, talent for dealing with adversity and knack for relating a story in a humourous and relatable way. Also, we seemed to have things in common, e.g. similar age and family set-up. I immediately started thinking 'If he can do it, then so can I!'. Well, to cut a long story short, between March and May 2013 I fulfilled my dream and cycled solo across the USA from San Diego to Washington DC! It truly was a life changing experience and has made me a different and better person in so many ways!

So, when I heard that Steve had written a book about his first solo trip across the USA, naturally I had to buy it! And it's just as good as I had been expecting! There's so much here that I can relate to from my own experiences - the lows from the petty frustrations of problems with the bike and occasional dodgy road surfaces, the regular bouts of monotony and pain, the periods of loneliness and isolation, but all balanced by immense highs - the thrill of crossing another state boundary, the kindness of strangers in times of adversity, the amusing encounters with colourful characters, the joy of cresting a large hill and that effort being rewarded with a stunning view...
But even if you have little or no interest in cycling, I can strongly recommend this book, as a wonderful account of the highs and lows of striving towards and ultimately achieving a dream!

Crystal Castles
Crystal Castles
Offered by rbmbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite what I was expecting!, 4 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Crystal Castles (Audio CD)
I did enjoy this album, but I have to be honest, it wasn't quite what I was expecting! After reading other reviews and some interviews with the band (who seem VERRRY weird and subversive!) I was expecting something a lot edgier, more challenging and difficult. And while there is the occasional strange wig-out and the vocals are often quite harsh and dischordant, large parts of the album are fairly conventional melodic electronica, and really quite gentle at that, you could almost say ambient! In fact, I was sometimes reminded of Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works Volume 1', or of Boards of Canada during their more upbeat, melodic moments - especially because of their similar use of vocal samples. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, just, as I said, not quite what I was expecting!

Daydream Nation
Daydream Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 14 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Daydream Nation (Audio CD)
A Masterpiece. Right from the opening chords of 'Teenage Riot' you know you're in for something very special. Is it punk, is it indie, is it art rock, is it shoegaze? It's all these things and more, it's all these things and none of them. A near perfect blend of harmony and noise, experimentation and melody, accesibility and obtuseness...and also supremely, effortlessly cool!

Stars of CCTV
Stars of CCTV
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums Of 2005!, 26 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Stars of CCTV (Audio CD)
I love this album! Like all the best bands, they've taken a load of diverse influences, (in their case punk, indie, ska, hip hop, disco & more,) mixed them all together and come up with something really original and cool! There's real depth here too, from the full-on, up tempo floor fillers like 'Hard To Beat' to my favourite track, the achingly beautiful 'Move On Now', a gorgeous ballad about the end of a relationship set in the wider context of having outgrown a dead-end town. The simple piano backing showcases Richard Archer's vocals and shows just what a good singer he is.
My one gripe is that the lyrics are a bit too fixated on 'isn't it terrible living in Blair's facist police state?' but hey, they're angry young men, I expect they'll mellow (slightly) with age!
Anyway, all in all a great debut album - buy it, you won't be disappointed!