Profile for Mr. C. Day > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Day

Mr. C. Day "christopher-day" (Oxford, UK)

Crystal Castles
Crystal Castles

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite what I was expecting!, 4 Mar 2009
This review is from: Crystal Castles (Audio CD)
I did enjoy this album, but I have to be honest, it wasn't quite what I was expecting! After reading other reviews and some interviews with the band (who seem VERRRY weird and subversive!) I was expecting something a lot edgier, more challenging and difficult. And while there is the occasional strange wig-out and the vocals are often quite harsh and dischordant, large parts of the album are fairly conventional melodic electronica, and really quite gentle at that, you could almost say ambient! In fact, I was sometimes reminded of Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works Volume 1', or of Boards of Canada during their more upbeat, melodic moments - especially because of their similar use of vocal samples. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, just, as I said, not quite what I was expecting!

Daydream Nation
Daydream Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 14 Jun 2007
This review is from: Daydream Nation (Audio CD)
A Masterpiece. Right from the opening chords of 'Teenage Riot' you know you're in for something very special. Is it punk, is it indie, is it art rock, is it shoegaze? It's all these things and more, it's all these things and none of them. A near perfect blend of harmony and noise, experimentation and melody, accesibility and obtuseness...and also supremely, effortlessly cool!

Stars of CCTV
Stars of CCTV
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 1.32

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums Of 2005!, 26 Dec 2005
This review is from: Stars of CCTV (Audio CD)
I love this album! Like all the best bands, they've taken a load of diverse influences, (in their case punk, indie, ska, hip hop, disco & more,) mixed them all together and come up with something really original and cool! There's real depth here too, from the full-on, up tempo floor fillers like 'Hard To Beat' to my favourite track, the achingly beautiful 'Move On Now', a gorgeous ballad about the end of a relationship set in the wider context of having outgrown a dead-end town. The simple piano backing showcases Richard Archer's vocals and shows just what a good singer he is.
My one gripe is that the lyrics are a bit too fixated on 'isn't it terrible living in Blair's facist police state?' but hey, they're angry young men, I expect they'll mellow (slightly) with age!
Anyway, all in all a great debut album - buy it, you won't be disappointed!