Profile for Green Star > Reviews

Content by Green Star

Green Star "SD" (Bucks, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Beyondfashion Ladies Wool Mix French Beret Hat Warm Winter Hat Ladies Girls Beret Hat (Black)
Offered by Home Decoam

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality, 23 Feb. 2014
Very thin and uneven material. Sadly will only be using as a spare - clearly won't last long and it doesn't look good.

Peppa Pig George Dino Umbrella
Peppa Pig George Dino Umbrella
Offered by A CHARACTER SHOP LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice umbrella, 23 Feb. 2014
Great umbrella, lovely colour, so far very functional - my 2 year old has used it several times and it feels both strong and safe for him to use.

Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women
Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women
by Mrs Moneypenny

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and engaging, 23 Feb. 2014
I really enjoyed this book, despite working in the NGO sector where the culture is somewhat different to the mainstream corporate world which Mrs Moneypenny is most familiar with. Lots of perceptive points and interesting ideas which ring true for someone like me who is combining parenthood and career progression. Worthwhile for any woman - just wish I could have read it 10 years ago!

Pirate Ships (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
Pirate Ships (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
by Rob Lloyd Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Sept. 2012
I love the Usbourne series and their design and illustrations - but this book is just way more violent than is necessary. The level of violence and references to death are surprising given how well Usbourne books explore other areas of history (which are also violent!) and the age groups who are likely to be looking at this.
Why not include a tiny bit of geography, basic information about what was traded, stories of one or two particular pirates, or how they navigated, or what you might do if you were stuck on an island? That would be the level of interest I'd expect from Usbourne, rather than repetitive nastiness. It's not that my 4 yr old doesn't enjoy it, but I have to avoid reading out quite a lot of the text which is a shame.

Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth
Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth
by Juju Sundin

5.0 out of 5 stars so grateful I heard about this book - better than NCT classes, 26 April 2012
I heard about this book from a friend, and will be eternally grateful to it for a very positive second birth experience. I've since lent my copy to two other friends who also found it immensely helpful.
Juju Sundarin explains really clearly what happens in birth, why we get scared and tense on experiencing pain, and what sorts of things we might find helpful to do to cope with the pain, both physically and psychologically.
It is realistic that labour usually hurts for most people, and it is realistic that you might still want to choose medical pain relief if it gets too much. But what she sets out are a range of different simple things you can do to 'match the pain' and get through each contraction. Importantly she points out that the pain is usually only around your tummy, and that you are pain free between contractions.
As someone whose labours were both fairly long but with very frequent contractions, which made me tired, scared and tense, I just wish I'd read this before my first labour as it might just have helped me feel more in control.
Thank you Juju - if only the NHS or the NCT was providing this sort of basic skill set to mums to be!

Pilates In Pregnancy [DVD]
Pilates In Pregnancy [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - gentle but effective, 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Pilates In Pregnancy [DVD] (DVD)
I have used this for two pregnancies and would highly recommend it. I had done a little pilates before, and while I have to say I find pilates a little dull at times, I do think it's one of the best ways to look after your body when a baby is putting your ligaments and back under so much change and strain (I'd rather go jogging, but not a good idea in pregnancy!).
This dvd is very gentle and very clear. My only tiny criticism is that it pauses rather unnecessarily in between each exercise, so I used the skip forward button on my remote to move things along.

Alex Toys Amazing Paper magic wands
Alex Toys Amazing Paper magic wands

5.0 out of 5 stars no mess fun, 26 Feb. 2011
My son was given a pad of this for his 2nd birthday and he loves it. So do I, as the colourless ink means I don't have to worry about him using the pens on any other surface. Will definitely get some more.

Race of a Lifetime: How Obama Won the White House
Race of a Lifetime: How Obama Won the White House
by John Heilemann

5.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating account, 22 Feb. 2011
Really enjoyed this. It gallops along, and is hard to put down. It's by journalists who seem to have had an enormous amount of access to the various campaigns and candidates. A great read I'd thoroughly recommend for anyone interested in how political campaigns can grow or falter, collapse or reboot.

If You're Happy And You Know It!
If You're Happy And You Know It!
by Jan Ormerod

5.0 out of 5 stars enormous fun, 5 Mar. 2010
Exuberant illustrations and brilliant rhymes - this is great fun to read with a child. We've been reading this book at bedtimes on and off for about 9 months and my son shows no sign of boring of it. A riotously fun book.

You Choose!: Sticker Frieze
You Choose!: Sticker Frieze
by Pippa Goodhart

5.0 out of 5 stars worth its weight in gold, 10 Jan. 2010
An outstanding book - a must-buy for any child. We found a copy in our library and just had to buy our own when we realised how much our 18 month old enjoyed the fabulous pictures and scenes. Every page is packed with details to enjoy. It's not aimed at toddlers but for my son it's a great way to introduce him to new words, and when he's older I suspect it will while away many rainy days as it sparks him imagination. A brilliant concept and lots to make you and your child smile.

Page: 1 | 2