Profile for Mr. Steven Webb > Reviews

Content by Mr. Steven Webb

Mr. Steven Webb "webby_99" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
by Benjamin J Evans
Price: 25.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a Java Dev looking to keep up to date, 13 Aug 2013
I'm about a third of the way through this book and so far I'm finding it an ideal way of bring me up to date with the current direction and future direction of Java. The coverage of some of the alternate languages to run on the JVM, the Java 7 features and a discussion on dependency injection will all prove very useful going forward.

MotoGP Technology
MotoGP Technology
by Neil Spalding

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic in-depth look at MotoGP Technology, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: MotoGP Technology (Hardcover)
I only got this book a few days ago so I'm only about 20 pages in to it but it is by far the best text on the subject I've ever read. Neil Spalding really does know his stuff and some of the pictures he has got hold of for the book show so much I wonder how he talked the manufactures in to letting him show them.

Highly recommended.

Seiko Gents Solar Chronograph SSC085P1
Seiko Gents Solar Chronograph SSC085P1
Offered by ACE OF WATCHES
Price: 153.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch, very classy, 12 Feb 2013
I originally spotted this watch in a shop window and thought it looked very smart and expensive. I eventually tracked in down on Amazon and bought it. I haven't regretted it so far. It look expensive, feels expensive and as a long term user of Seiko watches I know it will work without and issue. The only very minor point is that the date is fairly deep in the face so sometimes takes a second glance to read but it is a minor issue.

HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites
HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites
by Jon Duckett
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal way to learn HTML and CSS, 23 Jan 2013
I'm a computer consultant and earn my living developing Java software. Recently I've been doing some development using GWT which is googles technology for writing web front ends in Java. Sometimes you have to get under the hood and tweak the generated HTML and CSS though so I needed some guidance. So far this book has given me all the details I need and in a well thought out maner. It obviously written by someone who doesn't just want to give you what you can find on the web but instead want's to show you what HTML and CSS can do using examples with nice clear designs and useful information. Recommended.

Velocette Motorcycles - MSS to Thruxton
Velocette Motorcycles - MSS to Thruxton
by Rod Burris
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed and high quality and nicely put together, 26 Dec 2012
I bought this book for my father who has a Velocette and who's family worked in the factory and test department. He was really impressed with the book and it's contents. The book contains all the details you could ever wish to find and some great photo's. I had a read through and learnt a lot about the company which was interesting because I'd heard a lot over the years from family member.

The only negative was that the book came in a plastic wrapper and when my father ripped the plastic to get to the book the front cover ripped as he pulled the wrapping off. The plastic must have been stuck to the cover :( It's a shame because it's a really nicely designed cover.

Overall, if you want to find out about Velocette, want some cracking pictures (including old advertisements) and would like a really nice high quality well thought out book, look no further.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 11:18 AM GMT

2010 - The Year We Make Contact [Blu-ray] [1984] [Region Free]
2010 - The Year We Make Contact [Blu-ray] [1984] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Roy Scheider
Offered by DVDMAX-UK
Price: 30.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film and interesting follow on from 2001, 7 Dec 2012
This film is in no way as ground breaking as 2001 (well worth getting in Blu-ray by the way) but is still worth watching and is very entertaining. The story is more typical character based Sci-Fi than 2001 which is more science based.

On another note, Amazon get your act together and pay the tax that you owe, I've spent a fortune with you over the years and my own company has to pay its way and so should you!

2001 - A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
2001 - A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Keir Dullea
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great picture quality, 16 Nov 2012
Well I hadn't watched the film for years but I'd read all the books. I was amazed at the quality of the picture first of all, the opening scenes don't look anything special but as the film progresses in to space, wow stunning.

As for the film, well it's right up there with the greatest of all time. The story is deep, the cinema photography is second to none. You could honestly pause any point in the film and claim it was a great photo.

The extra's are very good, I actually watched them all which is a first, they really do add to the film and well worth watching after you have seen the film.

Ext Gwt 2.0: Beginner's Guide
Ext Gwt 2.0: Beginner's Guide
by Daniel Vaughan
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the basics, 3 Aug 2012
I found this book useful as a basic introduction into GXT but when I started coding my own apps I found that the information in the book was mostly too basic for my needs and instead just searched the GXT forums.

Just Spring
Just Spring
by Madhusudhan Konda
Price: 15.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
I've been programming client side programming for years but recently thought I should train myself up on some backend java. I bought this book so I could understand the basics of Spring. I think overall it is a good book, short and to the point however I think an extra section needs adding to it. I think it needs an overview section about Spring, why would you use it and where it fits in the enterprise architectures.

I think the author assumes that whoever is reading this book already has a background in enterprise. As this book is an introduction I'm not sure this assumption is correct so a little more background info would be very useful.

Overall though I liked the way the book was structured; it was to the point and the examples where well thought out. If only more book were kept as brief as this.

Update: I thought I would add an update about this book now that I have learn't more about Spring as I've used it in anger since my initial review comments.

I still consider this to be required reading by anyone who wishes to gain the basics concepts of Dependancy Injection (DI) and Spring. I have read it twice now and I think it gives a very good explanation of the concepts and how to get up to speed with the fundamentals of Spring.

In future I think the book needs to consider the use of Annotations for wiring and not just XML. In recent times Spring has added support for JSR330 which is the guideline for supporting DI using Annotations and I think in future an understanding of this will be essential for any Spring developer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2012 12:02 PM GMT

TT : Closer to the Edge (2 disc edition) [DVD]
TT : Closer to the Edge (2 disc edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Martin
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a film about the TT, 19 Dec 2011
Wow I saw this film at the cinema when it came out and was blown away. I had been working away from home a lot and was seeing one or two films a week over a 12 month period and this was the best one I saw in that time. It's more than just a film about the TT, it delves into the human spirit, what makes the riders tick and how it effects friends and family. I'd recommend this to anyone, not just bike fans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4