Profile for Sabrina > Reviews

Life's a Pitch
Life's a Pitch
by Stephen Bayley
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Half of the book is OK to fairly good. Half is really bad., 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life's a Pitch (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book. The first half of the book was fairly readable and had a few good stories in it and perhaps a few ideas that I took away that I can apply to my own life. However, the second half of the book was terrible; in fact it was one of the worst pieces of writing I've encountered in years.

There are far better books about selling out there.

Body Language: It's What You Don't Say That Matters
Body Language: It's What You Don't Say That Matters
by Robert Phipps
Price: 9.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 5 Jan 2014
I'm sorry but I felt compelled to write a review of this book after having read it. I found the content to either be obvious or at times ridiculous. The author makes claims that just don't seem to be backed up by any kind of evidence.

I'm sure this book sells well because people love body language. But I found this book to be so so much better What Every Body Is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-reading People.

Answering Tough Interview Questions For Dummies
Answering Tough Interview Questions For Dummies
Price: 8.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reminder of what to say (and what not to say), 29 Dec 2013
Having not had a job interview for a while I wanted a refresher of how to prepare. This book provides advice and sample answers to just about every question you can think of. You have to think about how YOU would answer each question (you can't just parrot-learn the answers in the book), but the advice is good for every question.

There is also advice on how to prepare answers to ask the interviewers too so you don't have that awkward pause when the interviewer asks "Do you have any questions for me?"

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
by Stephen R. Covey
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas weighed down by too many pages, 3 Oct 2010
If you're reading this review, you MUST have seen this book on book shelves in book shops all over the place. It's a classic. I've been avoiding reading it for about 10 years because it's such as massive book and not very commuter friendly! Eventually I read it and there are some good ideas in it. I think that other authors have perhaps borrowed or stolen Covey's ideas since this book originally came out, so the content doesn't seem so fresh. But I read it with the perspective of seeing this as a progenitor or forerunner to so many of the other advice books that are out there these days.

Summary: read this book but flick through it quite quickly to glean the best tips. You don't need to plod through every single page to get the benefit.

CVs for Dummies UK Edition
CVs for Dummies UK Edition
by Steve Shipside

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value reminder of how to create a CV, 29 Jun 2010
Bought this book from a non-amazon seller--really good value. Excellent reminder of what to include in a CV and what to ditch. Plenty of example CV formats for you to pick and choose from and adapt to your own needs. REcommended.

Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realise Your Potential for Lasting Fulfilment
by Martin E. P. Seligman
Price: 10.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Learned, sensible advice on finding the right path in life, 29 April 2010
Professor Seligman has many qualifications and is an active researcher in the field of happiness. Look him up on any search engine and you will find dozens of articles written by him and written about him and his work. Right away then, you know that you're in good hands when you pick up this book.

The book makes eminently sensible suggestions backed up by scientific research on what helps some people to be happier than others. Seligman isn't just some self-help guru who has decided on his own list of things that we should do. This is all backed up by research studies, so we know we can trust him.

The recommendations in this book aren't particularly earth-shattering, but they are profound. The writing style can be quite challenging (this is a book that you have to concentrate to read at times), but very very much worthwhile. Recommended.

The Mind Coach: Be the person you really want to be
The Mind Coach: Be the person you really want to be
by Jamil Qureshi
Price: 10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Mar 2010
Qureshi says that he is a performance coach to many high profile people including sports people, but I'm sorry to say that this book doesn't translate what he may do with his clients to what we can do on our own.

The book is frustrating because there are some good ideas within it. Unfortunately, the advice sections don't quite give us enough information to apply the ideas he suggests. Also, the case studies are meandering: they don't seem to go anywhere and I sometimes wondered why he had included them in the book!

The Psychology of Success: Secrets of Serial Achievement
The Psychology of Success: Secrets of Serial Achievement
by Judith Leary-Joyce
Price: 9.69

1.0 out of 5 stars A rambling mess, 1 Mar 2010
Pearson Prentice Hall Life books are generally quite good, but this one lets the series down. The book promises to reveal the 'secrets of serial achievement' and is based on interviews with successful people in a variety of fields such as music, landscape gardening, business, broadcasting, and so on.

There are exercises and techniques contained within the book and I tried a few of these (actually, some of these were quite good). Unfortunately, the book rambles on and on and doesn't get to the point much of the time, so I felt bored while flicking through this overly long book.

For a better book on success, I recommend How To Be Brilliant by Michael Heppell (and no I am not related to him or work for him in any way).

Small is the New Big: And 183 Other Riffs, Rants and Remarkable Business Ideas
Small is the New Big: And 183 Other Riffs, Rants and Remarkable Business Ideas
by Seth Godin
Price: 7.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp writing but ultimately not very revelatory, 15 Feb 2010
A book that tries to pass comment on recent trends and take a stab at the ways in which the world is moving. Godin writes well and has some good ideas. I must say, howeve,r that I was a little disappointed. The book has many ideas and a few compelling ideas, but not as many as I had expected.

I recommend Daniel H. Pink's A Whole New Mind for a better example of this future-focused writing.

The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
by Ken Robinson
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Long, drawn out book based on a single (weak) premise, 5 Feb 2010
Here's the basic premise: Find whatever you are good at and enjoy in life and you shall succeed. End of book. At least that's where I wish the book had ended; that's how I felt by the time I got to about page 150 (about halfway through). The book goes on and on about finding your passion and provides lots and lots and lots of examples about it. But it goes on for too long and doesn't really contribute anything that we can apply in practice. Disappointing.

Page: 1 | 2