Profile for Riotoo > Reviews

Riotoo (England)

You Raise Me Up
You Raise Me Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Barrowman's best album for years, 1 July 2014
This review is from: You Raise Me Up (Audio CD)
Barrowman has said he had full artistic control over this album, and it shows. This album is so much better than the previous few ones. It's probably the best one he's done since Swings Cole Porter, and certainly the best of his 'pop' albums. Previously , no matter how good he is as a live performer the albums always seemed a little bland, lacking his stage energy. This one is I can play on repeat. The vocals, music arrangement, orchestration, even the choir, are superb. Apparently Barrowman is no longer with a record label, and this album was funded via crowdfunding by his fans. More artists should do that if it produces albums of this quality!

Torchwood: Exodus Code
Torchwood: Exodus Code
by John Barrowman

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Torchwood: Exodus Code (Hardcover)
This is a review of the audio book . I bought this as a fan of Torchwood, but, as I wasn't keen on Miracle Day, and knowing that this is set after that, I was a bit apprehensive. However I was pleasantly surprised, It was much better than I expected. The characterization of the Torchwood cast was spot on, and I really loved the fact that Jack is back to his flirty self, action hero, rather than the depressed sidelined character he was in Miracle Day. The plot (and chapters) move quickly, and frequently back and forth between different times and events (from present day, to years ago, to a few weeks ago), which can be a bit confusing at first but was OK once I got used to it.

The story itself was intriguing enough to maintain my interest throughout. A couple of plot holes (hence I gave it 4 stars instead of 5), but certainly better than some of the other TW novels I have read in the past, and despite what another reviewer said, Rex, thankfully, barely appears in the story, It's primarily Jack, with Gwen, Rhys. Sergeant Andy also makes an appearance. New characters are also introduced, some of which grabbed my attention, others not so much, but they didn't overshadow what is a basically a good Torchwood story.

I enjoyed listening to it. It helped that Daniel Pirrie did an excellent job reading it, making the characters sound believable. His Jack Harkness accent is pretty good!

Animals At Work With John Barrowman [DVD] [2010]
Animals At Work With John Barrowman [DVD] [2010]
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Fun and Educational., 22 April 2011
This is great for animal lovers. It's entertaining and educational, with a mixture of animals involved in very serious work, to animals that just have fun jobs. I like Barrowman as the presenter as well (mostly he just narrates, though some of the funniest bits are when he interacts with animals as well).
Comment Comment | Permalink

John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful momento of a fantastic evening, 19 Nov 2010
This DVD is a wonderful momento of the concert. It was a fantastic evening. He certainly knows how to put on a show. He doesn't just sing (20 songs!) but also tells anacdotes about his career and family. If you don't like Barrowman's sense of humour you might find that off putting, but if, like me, you enjoy the banter (which I think gave the concert more of an intimate feel than others I've been to) then you will really enjoy this DVD. The music is very eclectic, ranging from the upbeat Get this Party Started and Copacabana, through the comedy of Spiderman, and the soft and powerfully emotional Unusual way, to the 'trendy' Fireflies sung to please his nieces. All in all well worth the money

I Am What I Am
I Am What I Am
by John Barrowman

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Barrowman's Books, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: I Am What I Am (Hardcover)
I was intrigued enough by the review/criticism made by 'JB Fan' that I actually physically compared the hardback edition of 'I am What I am' to the hardback of Barrowman's previous book 'Anything Goes'. and guess what, the books basically have the same format; they have the same font sizes, same small chapter lengths (I checked a couple of random chapters in each), and about the same number of total pages in them (exluding end notes). So basically the books are actually the same size!

Conclusion: 'I am What I am' is just as good value for money as the previous book. So if someone reads it quicker then there must be a reason for doing so other that the size of the book!.

Also, regarding the previous reviewer's comments on the 'ballgate' incident. I'm not going to cricise anyone's personal view of this, but, again just to correct a point. In the book Barrowman does not abdicate reponsibility for the incident but takes 'full responsiility' for the 'outrageousness' that 'got out of hand'.

And regarding the other stories in the book, yes I've also heard some of them before, but there were plenty of anactdotes that I'd never heard, some hilarious, some moving.

I agree that the book does read a bit differently from the previous one, it's more a book to 'dip into', and feels more like the reader is sitting down listening to various tales told by around a table or in a living room. It feels much more intimate (perhaps that isn't the right word, maybe 'homely') But from the introduction that seems to be a deliberate intention of the writer. And I think it works very well. Whether it sounds like Carole talking and not John (as the previous reviewer claimed), I have no idea, as I haven't heard enough of Carole to make a judgement!, But I can say that, to me, it definitley reads like it's John's book!

All the above does not mean to say that 'I Am What I Am' is perfect; there is indeed the occassional error, that perhaps should have been rectified by better proof reading prior to publication

But overall I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a fun read. It's not great literature but its certainly entertaining enough for the price (at least for me)

Swings Cole Porter
Swings Cole Porter
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album, 12 Nov 2008
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
I was impressed with this album. The vocals are superb. I think this is Barrowman at his best, and prefer it to his more mainstream pop albums.

The Essential John Barrowman
The Essential John Barrowman
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually like it, 12 Nov 2008
I very rarely buy cast recordings of entire shows, as there are usually only one or two songs on them that I like. So I have been waiting for a compilation album that would have on it the songs I like, and unlike other reviewers I was not dissapointed with this.