Profile for P. Richards > Reviews

Content by P. Richards

P. Richards "Trigger" (GB)

Political Ideologies: An Introduction
Political Ideologies: An Introduction
by Andrew Heywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook, 30 Aug 2014
Excellent textbook. Written for the v bright A Level student/undergraduate but the very best introduction to political ideologies I have come across. Also an excellent resource for teachers of Politics.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Froth, 30 Jun 2008
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
I read this book because I am a Christian and I wanted to challenge my faith and see whether it could stand up to the arguments of one of the most well known advocates of atheism. I did enjoy the sections on science in which Dawkins has a clear expertise, but I was unimpressed by the majority of his arguments against religion. The manner in which he delivers his arguments is so emotive that he lacks the objectivity that characterises serious intellectual argument. He is emotionally involved with the topic to the point of enjoying quoting people insulting religion. At times he comes across as an unpleasant mocking character. He also uses religious extremists to illustrate his points that are far from representative of what most religious people think. His arguments are highly selective of the evidence and hardly approach a systematic or rigorous treatment of the subject. I have the feeling that he is being deliberately sensationalist in order to sell more books that seems to be the primary reason for its publication. I started the book as a believer and finished it as a believer.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2008 8:31 PM BST

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Achievement, 6 Sep 2007
I was unsure about reading this book after having read "The Lost Continent" which had a good first chapter and was otherwise unremittingly dull. A friend recommended this to me and I reluctantly agreed to give Bryson another try as I'm interested in the subject matter. It is a stunning achievement. Unlike "The Lost Continent" he does not have to force the humour and in fact the humour takes a back seat as the subject is all absorbing. He takes you through a journey that starts with the creation of the universe and ends with the ascent of man. There are just so many interesting anecdotes and incredible facts in this book. If only my science teachers had told me about the colourful personalities that pioneered the subject I'm sure I would have been more interested at school. If the wonder of creation interests you I am sure you will like this book. I had to buy my own copy just to have it on the bookshelf for the treasured memories.

Simon Schama's The Power Of Art: The Complete BBC Series [DVD] [2006]
Simon Schama's The Power Of Art: The Complete BBC Series [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Simon Schama

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Powerful, 2 April 2007
I really enjoyed this series. At times Schama tries a bit too hard with quite a lot of modern slang that will quickly date and can become very irritating. I have to say though, that despite this, you do warm to him for the real passion he conveys for the art. I quite like the dramatisations of the artists themselves that helps you to remember them and makes you care about their art. Some of the acting isn't brilliant though. If you're a cultural junkie and want an accessible introduction to some important artists this is a good starting point. I'm told that Kenneth Clark's Civilisation is better though. It's on my list to watch next.

Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World
Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World
by Niall Ferguson

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this!, 1 Nov 2006
I really enjoyed this book. Ferguson is such an interesting writer with countless anecdotes to amuse and appal you. This is such a vast survey and theme that I really think he must be flying by the seat of his pants at times. Surely no one can be an expert on everything he covers? It is not what I would call a disciplined academic history because he indulges himself and is deliberately provocative and controversial, in order to stimulate debate. I don't agree with everything he writes about missionaries either. But buying this book will make your life better. It is one of the most exciting books I've ever read - in my top 2 so far with Orlando Figes' A People's Tragedy.