Profile for Olly > Reviews

Olly

Jyu-Oh-Sei - Planet Of The Beast King Complete Series (eps 1-12) [DVD]
Jyu-Oh-Sei - Planet Of The Beast King Complete Series (eps 1-12) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hiroshi Nishikiori

3.0 out of 5 stars Jyu-Oh-Sei. From a good story pace, to a flat rushed ending..., 11 Oct. 2012
Before I start off, can I just say despite the 3/5 stars I have marked Jyu-Oh-sei, this series is in no means rubbish or poor! There are plenty of things to offer here! It's just unfortunate that there are a fair few bad points too...

The main let down with Planet of the Beast Kings is the pace in which the story folds. As another reviewer had already described, the storyline was a little jumpy (especially in the last 2 episodes) and this sadly made for little to no character developement, as there simply was no room for any. When I finished watching the end I couldn't help but feel this was a series that should of been at least 13 episodes, but was cut back to 11. The story begins rather flat at first and then picks up from episode 2 and really get's going at episode 6, followed by 3 much slower episodes which result in a tight and rushed episode 10 and 11. Personally I found the ending rather bizarre in places... enemies suddenly becoming friends and unexplained sacrifices being made (as mentioned in another review) and completely out of character occurances which really just felt like quick conclusions to close the story faster. In short, the ending felt really flat and uninspiring. Also I should point out that some of the dialogue in Jyu-Oh-Sei is really bad, and in some cases didn't even make sense. Leaving you sat there thinking- "...What?? LOL!".

It's not all bad though. The animation itself in Jyu-Oh-Sei was very well done and very colourful and easy to watch. I especially liked some of the nature scenes picturing the plantlife. The music for Jyu-Oh-Sei wasn't bad either, both the intro and outro themes I enjoyed. As for voice acting... well... some were good, some annoying and some fitted perfectly to their character. Thor's was especially suitable in the later (grown up) episodes.

All in all, I enjoyed watching Planet of the Beast King. Though I was disappointed in it's ending. If you like anime, Jyu-Oh-Sei might be something you'd like to add to your collection.

My rating: 6/10

The Devil Inside [DVD]
The Devil Inside [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fernanda Andrade
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Why can't I put no stars..., 18 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Devil Inside [DVD] (DVD)
I got together with some of the family to see this in the cinema. I want my £9 back... Worst horror film ever for all the wrong reasons, the only horror here is just how badly written, directed, filmed and acted this quick and easy money grabber was!! AVOID!!

Trine (PC DVD)
Trine (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but far from great..., 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Trine (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I really wanted to try this game after looking at several clips and trailers. I loved the look of the old school fantasy style with the pointy hats and sorcery. However once I actually played the game I was increasingly disappointed the more I progress...

With what I expected to be dramatic and well thought out and designed boss fights, turning out to be nothing more but several copy'n'pasted (large creatures) randomly placed throughout the levels. There are only two (yes TWO) of these creatures, one giant skeleton and a bull-like beast, as far from what I counted the skeleton boss appears 2 times and the bull boss 4 or 5 times! There was no boss music or anything to indicate any significance to these creatures. Also even more disapponting is how these bosses are killed by simply switching to the Knight and slashing and jumping till they die, there are no fancy clever methods to winning these battles appart from simply mashing a key... and all the boss fights are exactly the same.

Then we move on to the final boss, which as it turns out isn't a boss at all... but a short level in which the player must climb to the top as quickly as possible as lava floods. And then upon completion expect a very abrupt ending which neglects to fill in of any background to the story at all!

All in all, I enjoyed some of the puzzles, even though 65% of Trine was incredibly repeatitive and the level designers hardly bothered...

I'd say to those looking for a thorough platformer to go try something safe (something else), but if you are looking for a pretty game favouring charm over content you might just like Trine. Though if you are looking for a masterpiece, this is NOT it!

3 out of 5!

Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Offered by Digitalville UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice new touches for Final Fantasy., 30 July 2011
Final Fantasy XII may not have the typical battle systems commonly used and known throughout the older FF titles, but the new and well thought out battle system, new and improved (less linear) exploration, and the less (over the top) epic but more realistic and grown up storyline are huge signs of progression!

The story stays true by previous Final Fantasies, in telling the story of many (unimportant and unknown) individuals banding together as the game progresses, fighting in a rebellion against an oppressive imperial force (the bad guys :P).

Even though I personally felt the lead character (Vaan) was somewhat boring, irritating and had virtually no individuality compared to previous FF leads (Cloud, Squall). Plus the absence of any major or surprising plot twists was disappointing... the story basicly finishes where it started (no surprise villian hiding behind the scenes awaiting introduction)!

In any case, if you like huge gaming worlds with plenty to do on the side and explore. Lush graphics with nicely done and fitting music. A simple yet well laid out storyline (if not a little slow and unsurprising). And a new and reinvented battle system. Then try Final Fantasy XII and make your own conclusions on what was and already is a game for the archives.