Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Old Wives' Tale
The Old Wives' Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars English Literary Realism at its best, 30 Aug. 2013
A masterful insight into the soul of Woman, by way of following through the lives of a mother and her two daughters, almost in real time: it is a very long book, and yet it offers rich rewards for our concentration. Bennett is great at detail, only his detail is never excessive, with a purpose to it, and often very funny. The characters are complex, contradictory, you love them and you hate them, along with those who surround them and who are at the receiving end of their words and actions, and with the author whose discreet judgement of them is always to hand.

Braun razor 199 pro smart control network / ric test. fixed lam. osci
Braun razor 199 pro smart control network / ric test. fixed lam. osci

5.0 out of 5 stars A better shave quicker, 30 Aug. 2013
A great shaver, does a very thorough job in a reasonably short time. I am comparing it with the performance of the Braun Cruzer and Braun Series 1.

Tales of the Five Towns
Tales of the Five Towns

4.0 out of 5 stars A number of good short stories, 30 Aug. 2013
I came to these after Anna of the Five Towns, the Clayhanger Trilogy, The Old Wives Tale, The Card and The Regent. I'd got an appetite for a bennett you see, and a liking for the inhabitants of the Five Towns, for their midland-ness in all its manifestations, even including the not-so-nice ones. After these novels the short story format has disappointed me: even Bennett needs space in which to unfold, lay out, and move the story. For instance, if you compare the short story 'Mary with a High Hand' with his novel 'Helen with a High Hand' you will see my point. But still a good read.

Riceyman Steps
Riceyman Steps

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep disturbing read, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Riceyman Steps (Kindle Edition)
Don't be put off by the fact that this a story about a middle-aged second-hand book-seller. His life and experiences are uniquely beautiful even when they appear to be repellent. We think we know what we like in books but this one expands the boundaries of our appreciation and we end up looking at our reading experience in a new way. Go on, read it and see for youwself! By the way, in 1923 Bennett won a James Tait Black Memorial Prize for this book. No, I never heard of this prize either, but so says my introduction to this Kindle edition!

The Regent
The Regent

5.0 out of 5 stars An even better read than The Card, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Regent (Kindle Edition)
The sequel to The Card is darker, more caustic in its humour, more emotional; Edward Henry (no longer a mere 'Denry'!) is now operating in London, and the tensions, the emotion, the drama are now pretty serious - London is a dangerous place populated by people amoong whom he is out of his depth - or is he? A feel-good story this one, and Bennett doesn't often deliver such a one to his readers.

The Card, a Story of Adventure in the Five Towns
The Card, a Story of Adventure in the Five Towns

5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read, 30 Aug. 2013
It may look a bit simple at first but you will soon change this view as you begin to be intrigued by the 'doings' of Denry Machin, and by his reasoning, or lack of it; the story is full of humour of Midland England, but it also makes you pause and think; Denry sort of gows on you and you end up loving him; (I don't think I'll tell you what the title means - see if you can work it out - without looking it up in the OED!

The Hollow Crown - TV Mini Series [DVD]
The Hollow Crown - TV Mini Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Whishaw
Offered by musicMagpie

3.0 out of 5 stars what might have been, 12 Dec. 2012
I was so looking forward to this release, hoping that the the two documentaries that accompanied the series, Simon Beale's and especially Jeremy Irons's, would have been included - they added so much to the deeper understanding of the plays... It couyld have made such a valuable resource! Alas, BBC decided otherwise. Maybe they'll take note and produce a 'special' edition. I think I'll wait.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2012 3:55 PM GMT

The Paradise [DVD]
The Paradise [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanna Vanderham
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars Film of a book?, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Paradise [DVD] (DVD)
If this is a screen version of Zola's Ladies' Paradise, then it is unworthy of the original. However, as a cultural transplant it works pretty well and the re-worked plot is perfectly suited to English tastes in costume drama. Where the TV series scores highest, it is in the choice of the male lead, but all acting was excellent, the frocks ravishing... When the series started I bought the book thinking that I would read it at the pace of the plot on screen; in the event, I finished the book in a matter of days, but still kept watching, with somewhat reduced enthusiasm. The book has great strengh and depth, and it is so very DIFFERENT! But I think I shall order the DVD all the same.

Mediterraneo
Mediterraneo

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot the difference, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
Spot the difference - alas, I didn't, not entirely my fault, Amazon!
Filling in your advance order form for Milos MEDITERRANEO, I believed this was a new CD the musician had made, following on from his excellent Milos THE GUITAR.
When it (No 2) arrived, I quickly unpacked the cardboard container, had the usual struggle with the cellophane wrapper, finally got it off, only to discover that I had bought EXACTLY THE SAME CD as No 1!
Whose fault is that?
Amazon, I think you should have made it clear that THE GUITAR and MEDITERRANEO was the same CD, only difference being that the latter did not contain the Bonus DVD included in the package of the earlier product.
Me, I should have looked at what I received before taking off the wrapper, then at least I would have been able to return it...
The CD itself gets five stars, Milos's playing is so good as to make each piece a living, breathing creation, passionate or tender, it's as if you too are wandering over the scorched evening landscape, or remembering something magic with a sigh of longing, regret - who knows what... Technically he is superb too, so precise yet sounds entirely effortless.
This CD is so much superior to Summertime that is currently getting all the publicity and hype...
Shame, Amazon, about the naming confusion of Milos, I hope it does not damage his sales too much...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2011 9:07 AM GMT