Profile for Elaine > Reviews

Content by Elaine

Elaine

A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman (DVD)
A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman (DVD)
Dvd ~ Graham Chapman
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderfully Quirky Film, 7 Feb. 2013
I was lucky enough to catch the premiere screening of A LIAR'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY at the Empire Leicester Square when the film screened during the London Film Festival. The premiere was attended by none other than Terry Jones and Michael Palin, plus a whole team of other python characters wondering around the red carpet!

This really set the tone for this wonderfully quirky film, which I really do recommend!

I love the Pythons and I was so excited to hear that Michael Palin, Terry Jones, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam AND Graham Chapman were once again reunited to work on the film, and I wasn't disappointed - A LIAR'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY really does capture the Python spirit. There are some truly hilarious bits when I was laughing out loud during the screening, as well as some really moving parts such as a beautifully animated sequence on Graham going through alcohol detox, which succeeded in getting a few tears out of me (much to the distress of the person next to me).

And the animation is amazing. Before seeing the film I didn't know whether I'd enjoy watching 17 different animation styles (!), but it really does work and I think it makes the film really unique. Fourteen independent, British animation studios worked on the film - I think just that already makes this quite an incredible piece of filmmaking that shouldn't be missed!

It also takes you on what I think can be best described as a roller coaster ride - while that seems to very much reflect the life of the more elusive of the Pythons, it also ensure there's never a dull moment, quite contrary!

I think it's a must-see for all Python fans out there, anyone who enjoys good animation and generally British humour at its best!