Profile for Nick Graham > Reviews

Eat Up!: Seeking out the Best of British Home Cooking
by Charles Campion
Price: 15.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, entertaining, useful, 15 May 2013
A great book by Charles Campion. Don't be deceived by misplaced reviews. This isn't a recipe book, it's a book about British food and the people who cook it. There are recipes which are from the cooks that Charles visited, but those recipes are a part of the wider scope of the book not the whole of it. It's an excellent and interesting volume and something to be read right through. Although the recipes are great and usable (well, I might not go for the road-kill fare of one of the people in the book, fascinated though I was) they are the bits that you will return to having read the book and find that you have a dinner to prepare where one of the items would be good.

Charles Campion writes with clarity, knowledge, warmth and interest. If you're even vaguely interested in food and its preparation and you like good writing then you'll like this.

His Greatest Performances
His Greatest Performances
Price: 7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Inimitable, delightful, 8 May 2013
Wonderful recordings of Stanley Holloway. Albert and the Lion and many more. It's so tempting to repeat phrases from the monologues but I'll resist. They conjure up a past time, but with wonderful humour and masterly understatement as a part of that. If you've heard 'Albert' or 'Sam' with his musket, do try this to hear more.

Fifty Recipes To Stake Your Life On
Fifty Recipes To Stake Your Life On
by Charles Campion
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 May 2013
Most cookery books have colour photos - I like them to see what the dish should be like - a list of ingredients then a method. They don't include stories and are not read from cover to cover. Except this one! I was interested to read Charles Campion's book after seeing him giving gentle but entirely independent and fair evaluations on the TV programme MasterChef.

On getting the book I was quickly hooked and I did read it cover to cover. It's great that Charles Campion writes as he talks, and it's a delightful read as well as being very informative. Each recipe is preceded by a story of how the dish came to be important to him, and that adds to the interest enormously. The recipes themselves are well explained and easy to follow. Variations are sometimes described, as well as easier ways if you are in a hurry (such as Custard No 2 from a drum if you don't have time to make Custard No 1 from scratch yourself). The stories are carefully balanced to be interesting, but not too long so as to delay you unduly from getting to the main content of the recipe.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book right the way through, filing away the recipes in the back of my head to be aware of them as the occasion arises. It was a bit disappointing to reach the end of the book :)

I commend this book to you enthusiastically and without reservation. I have a number of books on my kitchen shelf, some quite expensive given by kind relatives as gifts. Many reside there for a while but, despite the expense, get removed and sent off the to second hand shop because I never use them. A few are 'keepers'. This one for sure is a 'keeper' and I'm genuinely delighted to have it.

LATER - Just done the 'Cup of Tea Cake'. I thought at first that there may be slightly too much spice in it, but when it was baked and tasted there wasn't! It was really excellent and appreciated by a guest ("delicious") as well as myself and my wife. Having enjoyed the book, I am now enjoying exploring the recipes - so the hearty commendation is renewed :)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD + Digital Copy)
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 Aug 2012
Everything about this film is good with the filming matching the superb acting from a wonderful cast. To my surprise this turned out to be one of the best films I have ever seen.

Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Suchet
Offered by BIG Bargains
Price: 119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How sad, 7 April 2012
How sad that any future attempt at Poirot is up against David Suchet. An astonishingly accomplished performance that has made him Poirot and for me at least, an impossible act to follow. A hugely entertaining and enthralling set and so brilliantly supported by Hugh Fraser as a very cleverly portrayed Captain Hastings, Philip Jackson as an awesome Inspector Japp and Pauline Moran as an absolutely wonderful Miss Lemon. Now, if only there could be an equivalent for Miss Marple but as yet, despite many attempts, nothing to match Poirot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2012 7:46 PM BST

Fellowes Powertrim A3 Electric Trimmer
Fellowes Powertrim A3 Electric Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm seriously impressed, 25 Mar 2012
This guillotine isn't cheap, and unlike manual guillotines has running costs as pointed out by previous reviewers. BUT, and it's a very big but, it works! We have a small business and a track record of wasted materials from poor cuts that often tore the paper and made it unsuitable for giving to customers. When that paper is colour laser printed, that's expensive. This guillotine is incredibly good. I must admit that I thought that the comments about the lights were a bit irrelevant, but now I've seen it, do you know ... I like them! I now agree with the point that office equipment should look good!

On storage, yes the footprint is big in one sense, but the unit can be stored on its side when not in use. We have it propped up against the wall behind a printer, so it really takes no space at all. It's light enough to pull out and put away afterwards with ease.

Oh yes, one final point about running costs. I despaired of poor cutting on previous A3 guillotines and sent for a huge professional one that cost around 200. It was a dangerous looking beast and had a huge footprint as well as being awesomely heavy. After a few months of fairly light use, rivets popped out and the thing wouldn't cut properly. In addition to paper waste, the writing off of previous guillotines also puts the running costs of the Powertrim into perspective. Not to mention taking out the hassle factor by being very easy to use and giving excellent cuts which to me is worth a lot when we are trying to focus on getting papers prepared not on overcoming problems with poor equipment.

I am seriously impressed with this machine. It is well designed, stylish and above all, it works ... beautifully. It is excellent value for money.

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Conical Sieve, 17.5cm
Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Conical Sieve, 17.5cm
Price: 16.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality - above expectations, 2 Dec 2011
This sieve is solidly made and looks like it will last indefinitely. It has a flat tip for easy cleaning, and a hook on the side opposite the handle for bridging it across a pan. What I didn't appreciate from the photo is that there is also a hook device under the handle so that the sieve will hook onto a bigger pan where it doesn't reach right across. Excellent, well thought through design. Delivery was very fast indeed so I am more than pleased with every aspect of this purchase.

Breathable Smart Black Suit Garment Clothes Covers Bags - 100cm - Suit size
Breathable Smart Black Suit Garment Clothes Covers Bags - 100cm - Suit size
Offered by Hangerworld
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and practical, 2 Sep 2011
I was a little wary of buying these as I have had garment bags before that just disintegrated, being badly made and with cheap materials. Not so these bags. I have had two for over six months and have used them a lot. They are light but robust and I am very pleased with them. As an added benefit they have a reinforced eye at the bottom of the bag so you can put that over the hanger to fold the bag and make it half height for easy carrying. Good design.

Olive Wood Carving Board Size: 45cm
Olive Wood Carving Board Size: 45cm
Offered by ECommerce Bouhlel International
Price: 26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and practical, 2 Sep 2011
I bought this board with some birthday money as I wanted a wooden carving board and this looked so beautiful with the wood grain. In reality it is even better looking than the picture and I am so very pleased with it. After washing it I rub a little grape oil into it and after six months use it looks as good as ever adding practicality to its benefits. The wood is so much better than stainless steel (the carving tray it replaced) when resting meat before carving because it helps retain the temperature.

Iomega eGo 500GB FW400/FW800/USB2.0 Portable Hard Drive Mac Edition - Silver
Iomega eGo 500GB FW400/FW800/USB2.0 Portable Hard Drive Mac Edition - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Ongoing reliability, 2 Sep 2011
A previous reviewer noted that perhaps they should wait a year before commenting on this drive. Well, that comment prompted my review because I've had mine for over two years. This drive has performed faultlessly throughout that time and I remain delighted with it. I carry it with me in my briefcase most of the time, so it's not that it has had a sheltered existence. It's had one or two knocks in that time - including when I accidentally pushed it off a table about six weeks ago - but it continues to perform completely reliably. I thoroughly recommend the drive and yes, as a bonus, it does look very good indeed alongside a MacBook Air :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2011 12:43 PM BST