ARRAY(0xa83eb9f0)

Gerry Marshall: His Authorised Biography
by Jeremy Walton
Price: 29.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jan 2011
I spent many days at British racing circuits over the course of 20 years from the late 1970's and we always knew that if Gerry was down to drive we were in for a treat. Surely there has never been another driver who drove in such an utterly crowd pleasing style and yet who won as many races as Gerry did. As soon as I saw that this book was going to be published it was on my wish list and it finally arrived here in the USA yesterday. I was not disappointed. The photographs are extremely evocative, especially to me those of the various Astons and TVR's, and will bring back memories to many. From a brief glance at the text I know that the book is also going to be a great read, as one would hope given the character of the main protagonist. The recent demise of characters like Gerry and Peter Wheeler has left a huge void that will probably never be filled and it is important that books like this are available. Bravo Mr Walton, perhaps a biography of the saviour of TVR, Peter Wheeler, next?

Spin Doctor's Diary
Spin Doctor's Diary
by Lance Price

2.0 out of 5 stars Flatters to deceive, 27 Dec 2007
This review is from: Spin Doctor's Diary (Hardcover)
I came to these diaries eagerly having just re-read all three superb volumes of the Alan Clark diaries and in the mood for more political insight. Clark was always going to be a hard act to follow and Price failed miserably. Diarists by their very nature are self obsessed, which in Clarks case was a positive as he was a naturally fascinating character. In Prices case it is a major drawback as he is on the evidence of this offering dull and one dimensional.

These diaries are dominated by the diarists homosexuality, a fact we are made aware of immediately and reminded of on nearly every page and which rather quickly begins to grate. We are treated to reams on the outing of Peter Mandelson and section 28, a regular listing of the Twigs and Bradshaws and other gay New Labourites and very little of any political substance. We are told of "wet kisses" from Chris Smith and the endless holidays that Price shares with his partner but of the Ecclestone affair or the Hinduja scandal barely a murmer.

Another aspect that seriously compromises the "readability" of the diairies is the necessity to explain to us who everyone is after each mention. Most people reading these diaries will be in some way "political" and probably won't need to be told who Andrew Marr is or that Byers first name is Stephen or that Al Gore was Vice President of the United States!

All in all a huge disappointment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 5:13 PM GMT