Profile for Whiteside > Reviews

Content by Whiteside

Whiteside "whiteside-x" (London, UK)

Urban Grimshaw and the Shed Crew
Urban Grimshaw and the Shed Crew
by Bernard Hare

3.0 out of 5 stars Great read but he's no saviour, 28 May 2006
There's no denying that this is a very good read. Some of the behaviour defies belief (yet is true) and it is extremely thought provoking to read detailed descriptions of this culture where 10 and 11 year olds lead such wild, and deprived lives.

However, the central premise that the author Bernard Hare is some sort of saviour is wrong. He seems to suggest that the Shed Crew are a success because they've never murdered anyone. I can't really buy that because the violence, vehicle theft, robbery and shoplifting, excessive drug taking, arson, underage sex and pregnancies continue, with the author himself guilty of some of these.

In addition, there is a contradiction in some of the anti-establishment tone. Social workers are 'hated' but if the children need help from the establishment, what sort of support do they need exactly? Protection from the behaviour I've listed above, or the freedom to do it without punishment. Care homes may not be the answer, but can it really be justified to leave them as they are?

The book raises many questions but doesn't provide too many answers.

Kasabian
Kasabian
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless, 20 July 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
I've been buying this album a birthday present for friends, such is my belief that everyone should have a copy of it in their home.
The opening trio of tracks set the tone, and set the standard. This is a superb debut album - 5 quality singles are the standout tracks, and there are very few weaknesses.
These days I find you can find yourself skipping tracks even more easily (with the increased use of MP3 players), and often I'll find myself buying albums and rarely (if ever) listening to much of the album. 'Kasabian' is an exception - a proper 'listen-in-full' album.

Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
by Tim Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars A London Book, 13 Jan 2004
First of all, don't be fooled, this isn't really a book about Monopoly.
To be honest I had resisted buying this book for a while, seeing it in airport bookshops from time to time and thinking that it would be another one of those books that is all about the 'hilarious' situations the writer found themselves in. I relented on the basis that it would be light reading, and would pass some time.
But this book is a bit of a revelation if you have any interest whatsoever in the history of London. It's very well written, very engaging, and yet still is pretty much based on the history of these London locations over the last couple of hundred years.
It will make you laugh in places, and make you despair in others when you recognise quite how badly we as a nation have destroyed some of London's character. Most of all, it will provide you knowledge without you even realising it, which is always the best way to learn.

Hysteria
Hysteria

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Sep 2003
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
Hysteria is the first album I ever bought, and to this day I still believe it's in my top five albums ever.
Now that's not supposed to happen - your first album is supposed to be something dated, something slightly embarrassing, but this is neither.
I could go track by track through the album and pick out the highlights, but there's no need, there's virtually nothing to choose between any of the tracks.
An essential purchase for any music fan.

The Scent of Dried Roses
The Scent of Dried Roses
by Tim Lott

5.0 out of 5 stars An evocative walk around West London, 4 Sep 2003
The book is fantastic.
Granted, Tim Lott's life has thrown up a fair amount of material for such a book, but this surpasses itself with the sheer amount of evocative storytelling.
I find memoirs can be a bit too much sometimes. Sometimes I don't feel as though I really care enough to be truly interested. But from the very beginning, Lott draws you in.
It's true that you would have to be very hard hearted not be moved by his mother's suicide note, but the background Lott builds around his family is wonderful.
I would say I'm slightly biased in that I live in the West London area, and know many of the places Lott talks about, but this is also a true London book. I loved the sections covering life as it was for the Lott family earlier in the century, and it's testament to Lott's writing that I even began to care about this distant relatives.
I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone.