Profile for Ian S. J. Jones > Reviews

Content by Ian S. J. Jones

Ian S. J. Jones (Reading, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Drones
Drones
Offered by WaldieEnterprisesLTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid rock, 10 July 2015
This review is from: Drones (Audio CD)
Bellamy said Drones might be their best album ever, and whilst I wouldn't quite go that far, it is certainly up their with the best. I'm a huge Muse fan, and love virtually everything they've ever done. The stand-out tracks for me are The Handler and Defector, although there isn't really a bad track, the falsetto on The Handler really sends a shiver down my spine! I suppose if I had to pick a worst track it would probably be Psycho, as the sergeant's voiceover gives the record a tinge of novelty about it. The album certainly is a grower though and continues to get better with every listen (and let's face it, all the best albums ARE those that seem to grow on you over time). The Globalist is a good example of this, at first I wasn't overly struck but the more I listen to it the better it gets. Overall this is a solid album, much heavier and more rock-oriented than their previous 2 albums - I definitely recommend that old and new fans to pick this one up!

Mathematics for Engineers: A Modern Interactive Approach
Mathematics for Engineers: A Modern Interactive Approach
by Tony Croft

5.0 out of 5 stars ) edition - fantastic book; was absolutely crucial in helping me get ..., 3 Mar. 2015
I own the 2004 (2nd?) edition - fantastic book; was absolutely crucial in helping me get through the Mathematics module in my Computer Science degree. It starts off with some seriously basic concepts (fractions, addition, multiplication) and quickly builds upon these, through intermediate topics such as calculus and trigonometry, into ever-more advanced topics, for instance laplace transforms, advanced matrix operations, etc. Furthermore, each chapter is packed full of examples and questions in the form of miniature-tests throughout - there's no shortage of questions to work through!

I found the best use of this book was to work from cover to cover (no matter how easy the material might seem to begin with) as every concept builds upon earlier chapters. I would advise the reviewers who found the book too thin on explanation to follow this approach as it's possible the information they found to be lacking was simply down to skipping over earlier material. I definitely found the material to have enough detail to satisfactorily explain each and every concept.

Dr Who Ceramic 3D Mug - Joe Pertwee (3rd)
Dr Who Ceramic 3D Mug - Joe Pertwee (3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift, 10 Dec. 2014
Definitely the best gift I have purchased this Christmas - we have a long running joke in our family that my Uncle looks like Jon Pertwee (it's the chin that does it) so I already know this will crack a lot of laughs come Christmas Day. Great service and arrived quicker than expected - item is well protected inside box by polystyrene. Thank you!

Syma 2nd Edition S107 S107G New Version Indoor Helicopter (Red)
Syma 2nd Edition S107 S107G New Version Indoor Helicopter (Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy little thing, 29 Mar. 2014
This helicopter is great fun. Was bought as a Christmas present, it takes a bit of getting used to the controls but is stunningly well made. The number of crashes this thing has endured and lived to tell the tale is a testament to the build quality. Even with this in mind, I believe a couple of spare parts are provided should they be required. Very good value for money!

Churchill's Winter Wonderland Biscuit Assortment 400 g
Churchill's Winter Wonderland Biscuit Assortment 400 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it just for the tin, 29 Mar. 2014
Bought this as a Christmas present and recipient was very taken with the design of the tin - I didn't get to the sample the biscuits inside but heard they were very good too! Have had another family member as if they can be bought one next year so they can keep and repurpose the tin as a permanent home for all their biscuits!

Body Sculpture BR1900 Twin Hydraulic Rower
Body Sculpture BR1900 Twin Hydraulic Rower

4.0 out of 5 stars A good upper body workout, 29 Mar. 2014
As others have mentioned, this isn't really a traditional rowing machine. But it is great for working out your upper body (back, shoulders, arms, etc.) - the hydraulic arms are quite stiff even on the lowest setting but nothing unmanageable really. I think it will take me a while to get up to the hardest resistance level though. For the price it feels surprisingly sturdy and well made, and has the added bonus of being very quiet - great for me as I live in a first floor apartment.

Unfortunately the downside is that the machine doesn't provide really any workout at all for the legs like a traditional rower would because all of the resistance is confined to the arms. I've taken to just sitting still on this machine to perform an arms-only workout and use a stationary bike for toning my legs instead. The problem with this is that the computer is triggered by the movement of the seat, and is completely unaffected by the movement of the hydraulic arms, effectively making it useless if you use the machine in this way. But on the balance of things, a good buy.

Ultrasport F-Bike Exercise Bike
Ultrasport F-Bike Exercise Bike

4.0 out of 5 stars A few small niggles but overall a good product, 29 Mar. 2014
I bought this because I finally wanted to be proactive about turning my sedentary lifestyle around. It was really easy to put together (less than 30 minutes) and is very sturdy. The saddle is fairly comfortable, but I'd still suggest investing in one of the gel covers if you suffer from discomfort when cycling for long periods as I do. So far I've had it for a week and clocked up 100km over 5 separate sessions, and hope to keep this level of activity up!

My one gripe is with the computer - although it provides a decent amount of information, it seems to be a bit temperamental. Sometimes the digits in each metric will "freeze" mid-cycle, and I need to re-insert the battery to force it to start working again - thus losing any progress you had made so far. Other times the heart-rate monitor only seems to work on one side of the handlebars, effectively measuring half my pulse so I have to mentally double it to work out what my actual heart-rate is, etc. Nothing major and generally I'm very happy with this purchase, for the price paid it's great value for money.

To Whom It May Concern
To Whom It May Concern
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent second album, 5 Jun. 2011
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
Personally I find Splender to be one of the most underappreciated bands to come out of the late 90's. This is soft melodic rock at heart, although some of the lyrics do cause me to question whether it might be appropriate to also use the Christian rock label. The lyrics are emotive and sung with passion by Boone. I found this album to be slightly more downbeat than their first and the album doesn't seem to flow quite as well as Halfway Down the Sky. Personal favourite tracks are the opener, Happier This Way - heavy (comparitively speaking or course) and powerful, But Anyway - another powerful song, The Loneliest Person I Know - an emotional track and Splender at their best, and Save It For Later. Unfortunately I find the album finishes a little weaker than it starts. I am not particularly fond of Good Evening.

But this is a great soft rock album I would thoroughly recommend to anyone who is partial to that genre. It's emotive, melodic and easy listening. I still prefer Halfway Down The Sky, but it would be nice to add a third Splender album to my shelf sometime soon. There have been rumours of a reunion now for the past 4 or 5 years. Their new album was supposed to be out last year, and they were supposed to have gone on tour, but I've not heard anything. Either nothing is happening and these rumous are unfounded lies, or the band's marketing team aren't doing a very good job.

Introduction to Evolutionary Computing (Natural Computing Series)
Introduction to Evolutionary Computing (Natural Computing Series)
by Agoston E. Eiben

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction to a Fascinating Subject, 5 Jun. 2011
I bought this as a student, after developing a fascination in the field of genetic algorithms. This book provides a solid introduction to the subject, although the latter two-thirds of the book does get slightly more mathematical. Nonetheless you will find a thorough guide to all aspects of evolutionary computing. A great all round book on a highly interesting topic, and it inspired me to purchase further books from the series. Definitely a required item if you have any kind of interest in genetic algorithms.

Kung Fu Chaos (Xbox)
Kung Fu Chaos (Xbox)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable party game, 5 Jun. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kung Fu Chaos (Xbox) (Video Game)
This is a great little game to bring out at partys. It's wild, wacky and fun and there's nothing else quite like it. Although the game isn't particularly long, the challenges and replayability will keep you coming back for more. The controls can be a bit difficult to master, but there is a nice variety of combos to get to grips with. The character-unique special attacks add a nice touch, although once you become good at learning how to quickly charge up and release these, you will demolish any player who hasn't. There is a lot of variety in the maps and games. My personal favourite levels are the ones where you play through a scene. Memorable levels include running through a forest to escape dinosaurs, scrambling across the sinking Titanic, all the while trying to better the other players and avoid the map's obstacles. Once again, experience will give you a huge advantage which can unfortunately make for some one-sided gameplay. The music track can get a little tedious and repetitive, and there doesn't seem to be much variety in the sound effect department either.

All in all a good party game, and unique enough to warrant a place on my game shelf.

Page: 1 | 2