Profile for Old Timer > Reviews

Content by Old Timer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 458

Old Timer (Bedfordshire, England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lenovo G50-30 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Pentium N3530 2.16 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Integrated Graphics, DVDRW, HDMI, Camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Windows 8.1)
Offered by urboturbo25

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Family Laptop, 13 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To begin with my conclusion, I like the Lenovo G50-30, and think it's very fair value for the asking price. There are a couple of things I quibble about, as you'll see if you read on, but that is true of any laptop, especially in this price range, so I don't hesitate to recommend it.

Build and Appearance

As I've come to expect of Lenovo, the G50-30 feels solid enough, with remarkably little flexing of the palm rest. The hinges seem sound, although I would not pick it up by the lid, and overall I cannot find fault with it. In appearance it's totally Lenovo; black plastic so plain it could be called somber, those guys don't do flashy. That's something I like because it's a serious tool, not an ornament. It is slim, very slim, although I can't really see the advantage of that, I've never heard anyone complaining their laptop was too thick. The finish is good, and not glossy so you won't be forever wiping fingerprints off it.

Starting Out

When you power the laptop up for the first time you're taken through a Windows registration process that requires you to have a Microsoft Account ID. It's very easy to create one beforehand by going to https://signup.live.com just to make the process a little slicker. You can use any valid email address as your ID and I used my gmail address. You'll also be asked to select the browser you want to use, with Microsoft's preferred option being Internet Explorer, but mine is Chrome. When you're all set up with your location, language, etc it's more than likely Windows will update itself and may require a restart. Let it do that so you at least know the OS security is up to date.

Performance

The days when processor names and numbers had any real meaning are long gone. The Pentium (old name, new processor) version of the G50-30 I was supplied with is not targetted at those who see themselves as power users, and definitely it lacks the graphics muscle to be a hardcore gaming machine. But for the routine everyday IT tasks of the modern world it is probably all the computer you need, and 8GB memory is generous.

Out of the box the laptop is not set to give of its best; it appears dull-screened and sluggish. Lenovo have seemingly assumed it will be used on battery power as a portable office, perhaps working on high finance (ie swindling millions of people) while flying over the pole to Tokyo, but in the experience of myself and my family that's not how laptops are used. They may occasionally be moved from one room to another, never to Tokyo, and invariably they're close enough to a power socket that battery life is simply not relevant. So dive into Control Panel/Power Options and set the power plan to High Performance, you'll be so glad you did. You'll also get a speed boost by deleting as much as possible of the bloatware, by which I mean the 'free' and trial software. None of which is to suggest that the laptop isn't zippy enough, it is.

Windows 8.1

Windows 8 has proved to be about as popular as toothache, and produces much the same pained grimaces on many faces. Nice one, Microsoft. However, Lenovo install a start menu application named Pokki on Windows 8 machines, and this allows you to use the laptop very much as if it had Windows 7 or Vista installed. Pokki appears as a white house symbol on the taskbar across the bottom of the screen, and once you click on it you'll start feeling at home. Pokki also lets you set the computer to boot to the desktop, like a Windows 7 or Vista machine, instead of to the hated Metro screen, and that makes things even more familiar. It is getting very hard to find a new laptop with Windows 7, but don't be worried about unfamiliarity with Windows 8. With Pokki available you'll be sound as a pound.

Display

For me the display panel lacks a certain amount of punch, I could do with more contrast, but that is also true of Lenovo laptops costing more than twice as much. Viewing angle are fine; my wife can stand to one side of me as I show her something on screen and see it as well as I can.

Connectivity

Here I have to be a little critical. WiFi range I find to be good, but it's not dual-band and nor is it especially fast. I am astonished by the lack of gigabit ethernet, 100Mb is laughable in 2014, and can only conclude Lenovo are using up stocks of old components. In view of the pricepoint I suppose a meagre three USB ports, only one of them USB3, is understandable, but still unimpressive.

In Use

When it comes to surfing the web, working with Office documents, emails etc, I think you'll find the G50-30 is more than adequate, in fact I expect you'll be very pleased with your choice. The keyboard is an absolute joy to type on, a 1TB drive is ample, and there's really nothing to seriously complain about. When you've placed your order, look at the prices of Apple laptops. And have a good laugh.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 7:13 PM GMT

RCR Crystal Orchidea 30 cm Vase
RCR Crystal Orchidea 30 cm Vase
Offered by Cheerful Bargains Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Excellent, 12 Sept. 2014
A lovely vase, it looks superb and has the weight to be stable when containing long stems with large blooms. Wifey is delighted with it.

Scalextric 1:32 Scale GT Lightning Slot Car (Purple)
Scalextric 1:32 Scale GT Lightning Slot Car (Purple)
Offered by Hawkin's Bazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Drifting, 6 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I was offered this car I knew my grandson had a Scalextric set so did not hesitate to order it. It's from the maker's low-cost Super Resistant range that have no interior detail and lack transparent windows but by recompense are said to suffer impacts better than the more expensive models.

Grandson's report is favourable, he says it's 'awesome' because it has a 'drifitng' feature that apparently simulates a power slide. After happily applying the supplied decals he has tested it on track and is well pleased with its performance. So that's it, approved by a 10 year old makes it more than good enough for me to recommend.

Fisher-Price Little People City Skyway Toy
Fisher-Price Little People City Skyway Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Toy, 5 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great toy. It's big - kids like big - colourful, and with an old-fashioned simplicity because really it's just a matter of cars rolling down ramps. No batteries are needed, blessings be upon us, so there are none of the sound effects and flashing lights beloved of many toy makers. Fisher Price obviously know that kids will make their own sound effects when engrossed by a toy, and this type of design works its magic as well as it did more than sixty years ago when I had a similar one made of metal.

The box contains what I must describe as a kit of parts, so it's not a good idea for an excited toddler to rip wrapping paper off it because they'll be confronted with an assembly challenge far beyond their capabilities. It needs an adult armed with a philips/posidrive screwdriver to construct the toy, and that takes about 20 minutes. The instructions are good, and I cannot imagine anyone will be baffled. When finished it is a sturdy toy, although I would never dare say toddler-proof, and I expect it to last well. My only slight whinge is that I would like to have seen more than 2 cars, but that cannot detract from my overall impression of quality.

For age range I would say 2+, walking and talking pre-school. But I could well imagine older children taking an interest because it is such a good concept. Buy it for a little person in your life, it'll give them and you a lot of pleasure.

Bright Starts Hide and Spin Monkey
Bright Starts Hide and Spin Monkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun With An American Accent, 3 Sept. 2014
Plus points:

* It's bright
* It's colourful
* It plays tunes
* It's got flashing lights

WIth the above it's sure to grab baby's attention, and I suppose it's very slightly educational in that it speaks the colour of pressed buttons, alas in an American little girl voice that is sure to grate.

Minus points:

* Assembly required, which is perhaps to be expected. But why the barrel has to screw on is quite beyond me, it really should clip together.
* Possibly the operation of it is over-complex. Monkey won't hide in the barrel until all five balls have been inserted, but if the child doesn't do that quickly enough a release button has to be pressed to get them out again. So definitely I would say it's an older toddler toy, not for younger babies.

Overall it's an amusing distraction for a kiddie, and there are certainly times when distraction is more than welcome, so I do recommend it.

Kanger Protank-2 2.8ML 2.5 Ohm BCC (Bottom Coil Changeable) Glass Clearomizer
Kanger Protank-2 2.8ML 2.5 Ohm BCC (Bottom Coil Changeable) Glass Clearomizer
Offered by SNS Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tank, 31 Aug. 2014
A quality tank, no doubt of that. Vaping is ridden with the snobbery of the latest thing, so many sneer at the Protank2, but it is still a sound design. Easy to clean and maintain, with heads widely available at low cost, it's a good buy. Match it with a Kanger Airflow Control Valve and you're set for a good Vaping experience.

Genuine HCIGAR Bent Stainless Steel Drip Tip
Genuine HCIGAR Bent Stainless Steel Drip Tip

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool In More Ways Than One, 31 Aug. 2014
This tip is push-fit and fits (for example) the Kanger Protank range but not the iClear 30 series which have screw-in tips. I find it has a cooling effect on the vapour, which is not surprising, and I need to have my mods turned up at least a couple of watts to get the same hit.

Well made, elegant, it does make a tube mod look like a dental tool. I bought it to use with my VTR box mod to position it further from my face without using the ugly extension adapter. Job done, happy customer, put out more flags.

Kanger Airflow control valve for Protank-2, Protank-3, Aerotank
Kanger Airflow control valve for Protank-2, Protank-3, Aerotank

5.0 out of 5 stars Product as described, no probs. Because it replaces ..., 27 Aug. 2014
Product as described, no probs. Because it replaces the bottom plate on a Kanger, ie the part the coil and wick assembly screws into, it cannot be used with other tanks. An added benefit for me is that it raises the tank a few millimeters, so the drip tip pokes further out of the top ring of my I taste VTR.

TRESemmé Moisture Rich Luxurious Moisture Conditioner - 900 ml
TRESemmé Moisture Rich Luxurious Moisture Conditioner - 900 ml
Offered by Net Outlet Center UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Conditioner In Big Bottle Bargain, 27 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one heck of a large bottle of conditioner, and my wife says it's good stuff. Has it given her movie star hair? I dare not say. Checking Amazon's price, it does seem an absolute bargain, so order forthwith.

Ultranatura 20010000055B Floating Tub or Pool Thermometer with Animal Figure - Shark
Offered by Ultra24Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Shark To Share Water With, 27 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't have a pool or even a tub (sob) but I thought it would be a fun way to check bathwater is safe for a baby, in the range 37C - 38C. My mistake, because actually it's too long for that purpose. However, the product is as described, so I can't mark it down for my error. A jolly item, everyone likes a grinning shark, it would be tethered in my tub right now, if only I had one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20