ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)

Profile for P. Haydon > Reviews

Content by P. Haydon
Top Reviewer Ranking: 892

P. Haydon (Moray, Scotland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Iams Dry Cat Food Senior and Mature Chicken 2.55 kg (Pack of 3)
Iams Dry Cat Food Senior and Mature Chicken 2.55 kg (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cat Likes Them, 27 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The only possible way to assess any pet food is to see if your pet accepts it, and our cat seems to eat Iams Dry Cat Food Senior and Mature Chicken with gusto. The cat is probably about 10 years old, maybe more, but we don't really know because he came to us as a semi-feral stray about 7 years ago, and a vet at that time guessed him to be 3 or 4. We don't and have never used any dry food as the cat's sole diet, he also has a moist food from pouches and is very partial to peeled prawns, so for us the IAMS is a well-formulated supplement.

Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader
Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader
Price: 26.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Android Users Beware, 20 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a most interesting gadget offering Apple or Android phone/pad users the facility to access media and other files stored on an SD card or USB stick. The SD card or USB stick is inserted into Mobilelite Wireless Reader, which creates a wireless hotspot for mobile devices to connect to. This means that phones/pads without an SD card slot can still have access to additional memory, and also makes it easy to share a movie (for example) between up to three devices. Further, the unit can be used to top-up the charge of a mobile phone or pad from its reasonably muscular battery.

So far, so intriguing.

There turns out to be a big juicy fly in the ointment, however. Obtaining full functionality from the Wireless Reader requires a Kingston app unsurprisingly named Mobilelite to be installed on the mobile device, and that app will not work with Android builds earlier than 2.3.3, which is the second level of Gingerbread. So those of us stumbling through the world with lower Android versions are not catered for.

There is a Kingston app named Wi-Drive, which was produced for an earlier Kingston device with internal storage,that will install on Froyo (for yes, that is my shamefully old version of Android) but could I get it to work? Nope, it crashes on start-up every single time.

Because there is no facility to use the Mobilelite Wireless Reader as NAS I am, for the moment, at an impasse with it. But onwards and upwards, one will persist and update this review with any new discoveries.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2013 12:35 PM BST

AmazonBasics AAA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries 12 Pack 800 mAh
AmazonBasics AAA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries 12 Pack 800 mAh
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Buy, 20 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's not an awful lot to be said about a pack of batteries, so I will confine myself to pointing out that these cells are NiMH, so can be expected to have a longer and more consistent life that the NiCAD types they're replacing for me. As I've only just received them, I can't really confirm their charge-holding prowess, but I have no reason to doubt the claim they will still hold 80% charge after a year.

Really at Amazon's current price point you just can't go wrong, because just 4 dry cells can easily cost four quid.

Alexander the Great (Oxford World's Classics)
Alexander the Great (Oxford World's Classics)
by Arrian
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Readable Account Of Alexander the Great, 13 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You will already know that this book is a translation of a 2000 year old (almost) text by the Greco-Roman writer Arrian of Nicomedia. I am always interested in contemporary accounts of the ancient world, and also interested in military history, so I snapped this up.

I liked:

The translation by Martin Hammond conveys a sense of immediacy, and reads as an account of current events.
The explanatory notes are excellent, truly superb, and show Mr Hammond's scholarly diligence almost more than the translation.
The maps (of course not by Arrian) which allow the reader to place ancient place names in the familiar world.
The descriptions of military tactics.

I didn't like:

Nope, I have no complaints.

If you're reading reviews of this book then you have the required interests to enjoy it, so go ahead and place your order. Even if you've some familiarity with the achievements of Alexander, the narrative is a pleasure in itself, and there is much here to learn about the ancient world.

5L Pump Action Pressure Sprayer - use with water, fertilizer or pesticides
5L Pump Action Pressure Sprayer - use with water, fertilizer or pesticides
Offered by Vinsani
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Cheap And It Works, 2 May 2013
If you're in the market for a garden sprayer I recommend Hozelock as being excellent, unless you're a cheapskate like me. The materials from which this Kingfisher sprayer are made have a cheap look and feel, and I suspect it won't last long enough to become a family heirloom. But at the price, you just can't knock it, because it does the job of delivering weedkiller etc just as effectively as pricier sprayers. My only real complaint is that the spray lance is rather short, but then I remember the price, and I quit moaning.

TP-Link TL-WN8200ND 300 Mbps High Power Wireless USB Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN8200ND 300 Mbps High Power Wireless USB Adapter
Price: 18.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective For Problem WiFi Situations, 21 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Because the transmit power of all WiFi devices is limited to a level set by the IEEE, the governing body, I believe the extra range this device certainly delivers results from its twin-antenna configuration. In my entirely unscientific tests there was very clear advantage over other wifi adaptors in my possession.

My laptop runs Windows 7 Pro x64, and with most peripherals I find no need to install the supplied software, I just plug them in and let Windows find the right drivers. That approach didn't work with the TL-WN8200ND and I had to run the mini CD to get it working. The way I tested it was to connect to a neighbour about 100 yards from my house who has BTWiFi enabled on his BT Home Hub. I was prompted to pop in my BT username and password, and bingo, I had a solid internet connection. That is not piracy or hacking, BTW, it's part of the deal when you accept a Home Hub that unless you disable the feature anyone with a BT ID will be able to log onto the internet (not your computer) via your WiFi, that's how BT can say they offer 5,000,000+ hotspots. Advantages? Well, if my router dies or my broadband service fails I'll still be able to piggy-back onto the internet using this High Power Adapter.

If you have an older laptop that does not have n-spec WiFi, and you know you are looking for extreme range, then this would be a very good buy. Other than that, an adaptor hanging on a USB lead is just too inconvenient.

Scholl Instant Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Instant Hard Skin Remover
Price: 6.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe And Effective, 21 April 2013
This tool does what the product description claims. Because the "blades" are actually just holes punched in a small piece of metal sheet, there seems to be zero risk of cuts if used sensibly. Moved gently across the affected area, hard skin is removed quite quickly, although trying to do it all in one session would be asking for soreness.

It does what I bought it for and I can find no drawbacks, so I rate it 5 star.

Fellowes ImageLast A4 80 Micron Laminating Pouch - (Pack of 25)
Fellowes ImageLast A4 80 Micron Laminating Pouch - (Pack of 25)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, 21 April 2013
These 80 micron pouches are ideal for low-cost laminators such as the Fellowes Lunar machine I use. The half-dozen or so I have used so far have produced flawless results, wrinkle-free and very transparent. For the few pounds I paid I consider them excellent value and a good buy.

Reflective Dog Collar Skulls Large-XL 45-65cm x 25mm
Reflective Dog Collar Skulls Large-XL 45-65cm x 25mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Jolly Novelty Collar, 20 April 2013
Of good quality and with reliable bayonet-type fastening, this collar's feature is the luminous skulls. They are actually quite bright, but as with all luminous things the brightness fades quite rapidly after dark.

Russell Hobbs 13899 4-Slice Compact Toaster in White and Chrome
Russell Hobbs 13899 4-Slice Compact Toaster in White and Chrome
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job At A Bargain Price, 20 April 2013
For:

Wide slots take crumpets etc.
Looks pretty good on the worktop, not the cheap plasticky appearance I was expecting.
Casing stays cool to the touch
Effectively it's two 2-slice toasters, so very versatile.

Against:

Heating elements seem unusually feeble, so toast takes longer than expected.
Will not take a full-size slice, but we use Warburtons medium bread so no problem.

Conclusion:

It works, it's cheap as chips, and I rate it a top buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20