Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 668

Amazon Customer (Bedfordshire, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nico Less E-Cigarette E-Shisha Starter Kit
Nico Less E-Cigarette E-Shisha Starter Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Truly A Starter Kit, 14 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For what it is the product is acceptable at the advertised price, you can easily pay more for a battery and clearomiser. In my use over a couple of weeks the battery has been OK and the easy-drawing clearomiser has not leaked as they often do. But I wouldn't have called this a starter kit because it lacks any e-liquid, so anyone new to vaping would have to make at least one additional purchase, and to replace a cigarette smoking habit really needs at least two batteries. Using the term 'starter kit' implies it is targeted at the novice, but there are no instructions on how to fill the clearomiser, or indeed on how to use the item as a cigarette substitute. For anyone wishing to giving vaping a try, this is probably not the best product to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design, 10 July 2014
This enclosure works well with standard hard drives, although the latch is hard to close and release. My gripe with it is that SSDs, while being easy enough to insert, are very difficult to remove because the eject claw misses them altogether. Overall I cannot recommend the product.

Lenovo G710 17.3-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7-4702MQ 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, 29 Jun 2014
My G710 has exactly the specification detailed in the product description and represents terrific value for money, and I could hardly be more pleased with it. As a powerful general-purpose laptop it simply cannot be beaten at anything like the price.

The installed OS is Windows 8.1 with no option to downgrade to Windows 7. Don't let that put you off. I'd never even seen Win 8 before receiving the G710, but a couple of hours fairly interesting and intriguing familiarisation have left me with no desire to change back to the older OS. Lenovo have eased the change by pre-installing the start menu application Pokki, look for the white house symbol on the desktop task bar. Pokki provides very convenient access to apps and to things such as Device Manager, Network & Sharing etc that Windows has always kept hidden away in Control Panel, and there is even an option in its Settings menu to boot to the desktop rather than to the infamous Metro start screen. The best tip I can give before you start Windows 8 for the first time is to make sure in advance you have a Microsoft ID, because you will need one. I registered my gmail address as my Microsoft ID, and your email address will be fine for you.

Plus Points:

* General performance is excellent, very zippy, excepting only the hard drive, see below.
* The 1600 x 900 screen is lovely, if maybe not the most punchy.
* Build quality feels fine, and the finish does not make it a fingerprint magnet.
* The keyboard is well up to Lenovo's usual high standards.
* Bloatware is minimal, so you don't have to spend ages removing the likes of McAfee.
* Oh yes, it most definitely has a DVD R/W drive.

Minus Points:

* Only three USB ports, and only one of them USB3.
* The 5400rpm drive is an anchor slowing system performance, and I've replaced it with a 256GB SSD to make things fly.

Petty Points:

* An SD adapter inserted in the memory card slot on the lefthand side of the laptop does not sit flush, as I've seen with other laptops, but protrudes about a cm.
* The system RAM in my example (yours could be different) is 2 x 4GB, so my vague intention of doubling it by adding an 8GB DIMM was thwarted.

Conclusion

Definitely a 5 star buy, get your order in now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 10:34 PM BST

AmazonBasics A100 USB-Powered Computer Speakers - Black
AmazonBasics A100 USB-Powered Computer Speakers - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 25 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At time of writing I don't actually know the pricing of these speakers but as they are from the Amazon Basics range I expect it will be fairly low and the US price of $13.99 is likely to be a fair guide. I was thus not expecting much from them and was pleasantly surprised by the sound they produce. Probably nobody will be listening to their classic rock collection through them, but they are easily good enough to use when, for example, watching a film on a laptop, and are certainly vastly better than any laptop speakers I've ever heard.

Looking neat on a desktop, and stable on their rubber feet, I think they're a purchase you won't regret.

Death-Watch (Dr Gideon Fell Book 5)
Death-Watch (Dr Gideon Fell Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Excellence, 25 Jun 2014
Death-Watch was written when John Dickson Carr was at his youthful best, he was in his twenties, and is a must for his fans. The writing style is very much of the pre-war period, but that's precisely what JDC fans enjoy, that coupled with his somewhat improbable plots and his characters.

TP-Link Archer D7 AC1750 Wireless Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (2.4 GHz 450 Mbps, 5 GHz 1300 Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Facilities and Works Well, 25 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazon UK have lumped reviews for many different TP-Link routers together, and I want to be clear that I write here only of the TP-Link Archer D7 AC1750, an ADSL router mainly intended for connection to BT phone lines.

AC specification ADSL routers are thin on the ground at the moment, and laptop manufacturers other than Apple seem slow to adopt the AC standard, but anyone buying a router now should surely be looking to the near future and invest in the latest WiFi spec.

I've given the D7 five stars because of its facilities and excellent performance. As I write this review on 25th June 2014 it's only been installed for five days, so not long enough for me to comment sensibly on reliability, and I can only say it has not dropped the ADSL connection once and that all my WiFi devices and those of visitors have connected without any issues on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

The router was easy to install and I did not use the supplied CD. After connecting the lead from my broadband splitter I powered the router up, connected a network patch lead from it to my laptop, and entered 192.168.1.1 in my (Chrome) browser's address bar. As is commonplace, admin and admin are the default username and password for the D7's interface. Being a naturally lazy person I used the D7's Quick Setup feature to detect my broadband type, and only had to enter my BT username and password to swiftly establish an internet connection. Enabling and setting up wireless networks on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands is a matter made simple by the very clear interface menus, and I used the same SSID's and passwords as with my previous router so all my WiFi devices would connect as before.

Archer D7 Plus Points

* Simple setup as described above. If you've ever installed a router before this one will be child's play for you.
* Guest network facility on both WiFi bands; these enable you to offer visitors internet access without compromising network security, ie users can surf the net but not look through your files.
* Gigabit network ports - any router maker not offering these is having a laugh.
* USB ports. These provide distinctly slow access to a thumb drive but enable very easy sharing of files between devices.
* EWAN port giving the option of connection to a cable box if perhaps one moves house.

And finally, it works well. I can only test the AC WiFi, which uses both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands simultaneously, with a USB adapter in my laptop, for none of my other devices are AC enabled and thus I'm not fully using the router yet. But this I know, you cannot have too much bandwidth. Even in my pensioner household there are phones, tablets, a printer and TV, all sucking on WiFi, and a router offering the latest spec is a must. The Archer D7 AC1750 fits the bill and I recommend it with confidence.

Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Upgrade, 15 Jun 2014
I bought this drive to give my Lenovo E520 a boost and it's certainly done that, with much faster boot and application loading times.

To ease installation I ordered an Anker® USB 3.0 & eSATA Aluminum Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4 with the SSD. It was then a simple and fairly quick matter to fit the SSD into the enclosure and use Samsung Data Migration software to clone my existing hard drive to it via eSATA and with a USB connection to power the Anker. That operation complete, the SSD was fitted to my E520 and the old HDD became a backup drive in the Anker enclosure.

My computer is now transformed, and I recommend an SSD upgrade to anyone. Why the Samsung 840 Pro over other SSD's? Reliablity, it comes with a 5 year guarantee, and performance. Here are the test figures from Samsung Magician:

Sequential Read: 1183MB/s
Sequential Write: 1141MB/s

That is blistering speed. If you're going to invest in an SSD you might as well get the best, and at time of writing the Samsung 840 Pro series is simply the best.

Sellotape Sticky Fixers Double-Sided 12x25mm 56 Foam Pads Ref 1445423
Sellotape Sticky Fixers Double-Sided 12x25mm 56 Foam Pads Ref 1445423
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Pads And They Stick, 14 Jun 2014
These pads did exactly what I wanted them to do, which was to fasten a bell push to a PVC doorframe. It's easier to position several smaller pads like these than to get a larger one right first time, that's why I prefer them.

JKase DIABLO Series Tough Rugged Dual Layer Protection Case Cover with Build in Stand for Motorola Moto G SmartPhone - Retail Packaging (Black)
Offered by Aplars USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Wanted, 14 Jun 2014
This is a great value case for a terrific value phone. It gives me confidence that if /v/ vv/ c. bvbmy Moto G plummets to the ground I'll (probably) still have a working phone. Smart and not bulky, I reccomend it.

Two Port 2.1A USB Car Charger - Charge 2 USB devices at once, no more arguments over the car charger! Compatible with all Apple iPad iPhone and iPod models, all HTC and Samsung models including Samsung P1000 tablet
Offered by accmart

3.0 out of 5 stars A Short Life Item, 14 Jun 2014
It worked well for one 600 mile trip when it was really essential. After that it conked out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20