Profile for Honest Andy > Reviews

Content by Honest Andy

Honest Andy

Cycling the Canal Du Midi: Across Southern France from Toulouse to Syte: Across Southern France from Toulouse to Sète (Cicerone Guides)
by Declan Lyons

5.0 out of 5 stars Declan certainly knows his stuff, 18 Dec 2011
I am a real Francophile and manage to visit at least 3 times a year. This canal is another lovely part of a lovely country. So far I have only walked a small section of it in June this year, which kindled my interest in this guide. So I have not yet used it proper (next year hopefully). The guide is very detailed, describing changes in the path surface and its suitability for mountain or road bikes. It pinpoints all sorts of facilities from supermarkets, bed & breakfast stops, cafes & restaurants, even taps to replenish the bidon! This guide is not required to avoid getting lost (even I could follow the watery clues) so why buy a guide you may well ask? Well Watson, the guide is so detailed you can plan stopovers. It tells you where best to cross to the other bank for ease of passage. It also highlights nearby places of interest which you may choose to visit if you are not racing from A to B. And it keeps the interest kindled on long winter nights, away from soap operas and towards balmy summer days enjoying fresh air, sunshine, exercise, food, wine... Nurse! Quick, the medication! He's gone again!

My only complaint is petty and refers to the publisher. Cicerone guides have small pages, being designed to fit the pocket. However around 25-30% of each page is given over to blank margin so the print is forced to be quite small, not crumbly-friendly to those of us fighting the inevitable submission to spectacles!

Camp Fire: Sounds of Nature
Camp Fire: Sounds of Nature

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know you could get such a thing..., 18 Dec 2011
I didn't know such things were available until my daughter's boyfriend showed me this. We needed the sound of a fire blazing and cracking for my wife's Baby Sensory work so downloaded this sound effect. Easy, did exactly what it said on the tin! Another satisfied customer - we must have him stuffed as Basil Fawlty would say.

Avenir ACB932 Triple Pannier Deluxe - Black
Avenir ACB932 Triple Pannier Deluxe - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust and well made, 23 Sep 2011
If you need panniers to be removeable these may not be for you. They are a bit faffy to get on and off, but that suits me because mine stay put. I find Avenir stuff to be well made and reliable. They do what they are supposed to. The concept here is the two side panniers stay put on the bike while the top one unzips and doubles as a rucksack. I haven't needed to use it like that but the flexibility is great. Mine must be three months old and I can't fault them. I would buy them again - if these ever wear out!

Avenir ACB922 Quick Release Saddle Bag - Black
Avenir ACB922 Quick Release Saddle Bag - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, practical and user friendly, 23 Sep 2011
Nice size bag and very handy. Fitting was easy even for me! A two-piece plastic bracket screws to the underside of the seat frame. The bag then slides on and clips into place. A velcro strap hooks round the seat post as a second fixing. I use mine daily - sandwiches, mobile phone, credit cards etc fit in. Even expands via a zip to accommodate the fruit course. A short velcro strap within bag holds your keys to avoid rummaging at either end of journey. Good quality and well made, strong zips etc. One very small hitch - there is a self-tapping screw which holds the plastic sliding bracket onto the top of the bag. This worked loose and came undone but I didn't notice till I got home. Bag was still in place thanks to velcro strap, bracket and screw retrieved and refitted, no problem. Mind you, I had just completed a two-day charity ride from Leicester to Brighton, 160 miles - Good Vibrations! A good buy.

Tenn-Outdoors Men's 8 Panel Professional Moulded Pad Cycling Shorts - Black, Medium/32-34 Inch
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for cyclists - great for ballerinas too!, 23 Sep 2011
Having read reviews warning to buy a size up I bought a size up. Two sizes up would have been better! The shorts are well made and good quality, it's just a shame I look like a sawn-off Rudolph Nureyev! Still, they've not split yet and I've put them through their paces. Highly recommended, durable, comfortable - but you have been warned on sizing! Had I got it right it would have been five stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 2:12 PM BST