Profile for JSAL > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Easy On the Eyes - Eye make-up looks in 5, 15 and 30 minutes
Easy On the Eyes - Eye make-up looks in 5, 15 and 30 minutes
by Lisa Potter-Dixon

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book ...if you have just landed from Mars and never heard of eyeliner., 17 Jan. 2016
I am currently studying a make-up module on a Beauty Therapy course and when I saw the brilliant reviews for this book I just had to get it. Despite being a daily make up wearer for longer than I can remember, I have always avoided smokey eyed looks but now I need to master them and so this book seemed ideal. I was wrong.
The book is very basic, with lots of large images of bits of makeup or final results, but with very little written content. After an introductory section which discusses aspects such as applying foundation and mascara, what blusher is and applying false eyelashes we get to the nitty gritty-the different looks. These are split into 2 categories, smokey eyes and eyeliner. I did not hold out much hope for the smokey eye section when the model on the opening page to the chapter is wearing eye makeup that looks like it has been applied by a five year old. Blindfolded. Fortunately we are not given instructions for that look. We are then shown a few 'classic' smokey eye looks all which look very similar and are very basic, understated day looks. We then have a colourful smokey eye look including matching mascara and does not look particularly smokey, just garishly colourful.
Then there are a few more intense evening looks which are more interesting, but to be honest nothing special.
Next is the eyeliner section, which covers flicks and graphic liner. I just feel that anyone with a small amount of makeup knowledge would have already experimented with eyeliner flicks. Some of these looks in this section are just plain weird...pink eyeshadow used to line beneath inner corner to middle of eye (what?) and also dotting eyeshadow under the eye instead of having a line. The caption to the photo sums it up "If you want to stand out from the crowd, try this unique, quick, graphic liner". You will definately stand out if you do this, but for all the wrong reasons.
My final reason for disliking this book is that the author is linked to Benefit and the products are promoted in the book. Benefit is not a cruelty free brand and I have no desire to buy into their brand because of this.
On the plus side, this book contains models of different ethnicities and different age ranges. It's great that it is recognised that makeup wearers are not all white and nineteen years old. However the information is either too basic, too samey or too amateurish, which is far too disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 10:34 PM GMT

Bath Grip/ Suction Shower Grip Removeable Safety Handle
Bath Grip/ Suction Shower Grip Removeable Safety Handle
Offered by Vortex ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but effective quilting ruler handle., 21 Nov. 2014
I have no idea how this item functions as a shower grip as that was not my intention of use. I purchased it as a handle for a 24 inch quilting ruler after seeing a very similar item marketed at quilters under the brand Gypsy Quilter for £££££'s more. It clamps on to my ruler beautifully and allows me to hold it in place firmly to cut fabric without slippage. If you're a quilter, get one and save yourself money and cutting error hassle!

Blue 100% Cotton Fabric with Under The Sea Print (Per Metre)
Blue 100% Cotton Fabric with Under The Sea Print (Per Metre)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and vibrant, 19 Nov. 2014
This is a cute fabric with lots of vibrant colours. It is a good quality 100% cotton and contains the colours royal blue, dark red, aqua, orange and a dark lime green. I purchased it as the backing for a patchwork baby quilt that has similar colours and a sea creature theme. I was a bit worried that the colours would be different to how it appears on my monitor, but it was exactly how I imagined it to be. Perfect.

Curvy Kate Desire Multiway Plunge Women's Bra
Curvy Kate Desire Multiway Plunge Women's Bra
Price: £10.92 - £19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing out and uncomfortable straps., 28 May 2014
This is a relatively plain, lightly padded multiway bra and so I thought it would be a good basic bra. Despite being well endowed, I prefer a padded bra as I think they improve my shape and avoided the dreaded nipple issues associated with non padded varieties.
I purchased it in a couple of sizes when on sale as I saw so many reviews that stated the sizing was out. The most common size I wear is 34H. Contrary to most reviews that thought that the back sizes were too small, I thought the back was bigger and had to go down to a 32. I bulged in a 32H and so went up to a HH. The cup was very slightly too big at the top, but preferable to the four boob look of the H cup. However, I agree with another reviewer who said that the bra gives a slightly weird shape. Some reviews have stated that the straps have a tendency to slip, but I have not found this to be the case.
The main reason for purchasing the bra was to be able to wear it halter style. However I have to say that when worn in this way I find the strap very uncomfortable and the point where the strap hooks to the bra at the front. It is so bad that I have had to put padding underneath to stop it digging in. Hopefully it will soften up with washing.
I had this for £6 in the sale so I can't complain, but would I pay the full price of £30? Definitely not.

Feather refill - 3 Pack - Fits PurrSuit, Da Bird & Frenzy Cat Toys
Feather refill - 3 Pack - Fits PurrSuit, Da Bird & Frenzy Cat Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare for a frenzy, 28 May 2014
I purchased these refills for the frenzy toy when I realised that the one that came with the stick would probably not last long. Quality issues? No, the quality is good and the feathers look like a bird in flight The problem is that my 5 cats love it so much that they cannot be left alone with it. If the toy is left on a chair or stood upright in the corner of a room, they drag it around and chew on the feathers. When they jump and catch the feathers, they refuse to let go resulting in a soggy mess when I eventually prise it out of their mouths. It is so popular that we now have to lock it in a bolted cupboard when not in use. The cats have now taken to climbing on the back of a chair to get to the cupboard and are now trying by various methods to forcibly open the cupboard either putting their paws in the gap or trying to move the bolt!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2015 10:03 AM GMT

20 Domestic Sewing Machine Bobbins WILL FIT, BROTHER,TOYOTA, JANOME CLEAR
20 Domestic Sewing Machine Bobbins WILL FIT, BROTHER,TOYOTA, JANOME CLEAR
Offered by ukhugepower

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and value, 28 May 2014
These bobbins work great on my Janome machine and are very good value for money. Will definitely purchase again when required.

Simplicity Battery Operated Sidewinder Portable Bobbin Winder
Simplicity Battery Operated Sidewinder Portable Bobbin Winder
Offered by TECHONCLICK

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for sewers, 28 May 2014
I purchased thus as a gift for a sewing enthusiast and it went down a treat. It saves a lot of downtime in winding new bobbins leaving more time for sewing. I have recently started some sewing projects which require lots of satin stitch in different colours. This gadget would be a godsend as I have been winding new bobbins with different colour threads. Alas I don't have one of these (yet) and so had to dethread my machine and retread for spooling each time - very annoying when you just want to sew. Hopefully a family member will take the many hints I have dropped and get me one for my birthday. If not, I will get one myself.

Hemline Point Turner/Button and Sewing Gauge
Hemline Point Turner/Button and Sewing Gauge
Offered by Amberskies Gifts

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 28 May 2014
This is a handy item for taking measurements such as hems during sewing. However I find that it is not so good as a point turner as it tends to bend when pressure is exerted on a stubborn corner. Very annoying.

Janome Computer Power Lead
Janome Computer Power Lead
Offered by Couling Sewing Machines

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement, 28 May 2014
I foolishly left the lead for my Janome sewing machine at my evening class and surprise surprise when I realised a few days later it wasn't still there. This is a Janome branded lead and works perfectly. It is expensive for what us essentially a kettle lead, but my thinking is when you pay a lot of money for a computerised sewing machine, you don't want to take risks with inferior leads. Now I just need to check that I pack my sewing equipment away properly before leaving the class!

Premium Quilting / Patchwork Presser Foot Package Janome Top Loading/Drop in Bobbin Modles with One Craft Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 11 May 2014
I purchased these feet as the standard feet that came with my Janome sewing machine were not adequate when I developed an interest in quilting and applique. This bundle of feet work perfectly well with my machine and have saved me a small fortune (the cheapest foot in this bundle would cost £15 if you purchased the Janome branded equivalent). The only problem is that if you have never used the feet before, or do not use them regularly, it can be difficult to identify them as they are not stamped with a letter like the Janome ones. However, the set does come with a photocopied set of sheets to help you identify them. Personally, I go the Janome website and look at the feet on there when I need to identify one. Great value for money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4