Profile for DiCanioRemembers > Reviews

Content by DiCanioRemembers

DiCanioRemembers

March Or Die
March Or Die

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mid-career outing with some pleasant surprises, 14 May 2014
This review is from: March Or Die (Audio CD)
I’m a latecomer to this 1992 album. I grew up in the Overkill era, drifting away from metal in young adulthood, only to return in my 40s when Kiss of Death re-ignited a dormant love affair with the warpig. But first, the anorak stuff. This album saw the departure of Phil Taylor and the arrival of Mikki Dee as drummer (great hair!). It also has a cover that divides opinion; some fans love it, others find it formulaic, a Motörhead-by-numbers cover that, much like the music, somewhat lacks cohesion.

But how does March ör Die rate muscially? It’s an important album, and a very good one too. But it is not a classic. To my ears, it sounds like they were pitching for the American market with Slash and Ozzy guest spots, a great Ted Nugent cover (Cat Scratch Fever), a pulsing FM-friendly Hellraiser, and the power ballad I Aint No Nice Guy (more of which later). Elsewhere there are high points aplenty in a more traditional vein. Bad Religion and Jack the Ripper cover familiar ground, with wonderful riffs and great Lemmy lyrics. The eery atmospheric title track growls and stomps along like the soundtrack to a Viking funeral cortège. And then there’s Too Good To Be True, with Lemmy pining for a lost love over a thumping backing track. ‘Cold and lonely without you. Don’t know if I can make it through.’ What’s this? Lemmy admitting to frailty?

Actually, yes. And there’s more. This album contains the forgotten masterpiece I Aint No Nice Guy, a beautiful penitent duet with Ozzy Osbourne and featuring a soaring Slash solo. This song captures that moment of realization, of painful honesty, when we look in the mirror and know the truth about ourselves. A farewell to youthful arrogance. I can’t listen to this without getting a lump in my throat. Perhaps it’s my age. In this reviewer’s opinion, I Aint No Nice Guy is reason enough to buy this album.

In conclusion, this is a pleasingly varied album. Some tracks are arguably more commercial than usual and may not appeal to diehard Motörhead fans. And few would rank March ör Die alongside more recent classics such Inferno or Aftershock, but it does contain some truly excellent music. Bung it in your cart.

Incidentally, I strongly urge you to spend the extra few quid on the 2014 remastered version. I was a skinflint and bought the cheaper original CD release. My mistake. The sound quality was awful, muddier than a rain-drenched rugby match in a turnip field.

Belkin Dual USB 5V, 1A, iPod/Mini B Wall Adapter
Belkin Dual USB 5V, 1A, iPod/Mini B Wall Adapter
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars High-quality rapid USB charger, 12 Jun. 2013
I thoroughly recommend this charger. Having previously wasted money on cheap non-brand chargers that take forever to charge devices (if they work at all), I went for a quality known brand this time and I was not disappointed. My son uses this Belkin charger to charge his iPod Touch (less than an hour to fully charge). The charger is also very well designed (superior to Apple's own charger in fact); the large body of the charger allows you to get a good firm grip on it. Very useful if you want to use it in a mains socket that is difficult to reach. It also comes with two spare cables for your iPhone, iPad Mini and iPod, although you can use it with any USB device.

Focus Mirror Anti Fog Goggle
Focus Mirror Anti Fog Goggle

3.0 out of 5 stars Look good but still fog up, 19 Feb. 2013
I bought these to replace some Speedo mirror goggles that had become terminally fogged up. I was attracted by the relatively cheap price (compared to the Speedo equivalents). The goggles look pretty cool, though perhaps not as well made as more expensive brands. After a couple of weeks they did start fogging up. No real surprise there, I suppose. But nevertheless, I'm still using them several months later. And yes, I would buy another pair.

Mark Evans Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC
Mark Evans Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC
by Mark Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Ringside Seat at the Birth of AC/DC, 19 Feb. 2013
This is one of the one best music books I've read. Evans was the bass player for AC-DC during the Bon Scott years and played on the early albums up to and including Let There Be Rock. That great bass intro for Live Wire? That's him. He gives a fascinating first-hand account of his tough early life, his turbulent career with the band between 74-77 (non-stop gigging in Australia plus their first UK and European tours), and his life after being sacked from the band. The books rolls along at a slick pace and Evans has a compelling style of writing: honest, funny and, when family tragedy strikes, very moving. The most interesting aspects of the books include the band's arrival in London during the punk Summer of '76, and the profiles that steadily emerge of Bon, Malcolm, and Angus. For diehard fans of the Young brothers, some passages make for uncomfortable reading. However, Evans is never judgemental or bitter, and comes across as a genuine, warm-hearted Aussie rocker. After I finished the book, I scrutinized my CD reissues of Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock. Guess what? No photos of Mark Evans. The man deserves better.

Cloud Walker (Coronet Books)
Cloud Walker (Coronet Books)
by Edmund Cooper

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful novel, 2 Feb. 2013
I'm not surprised that this book is no longer in print. It is truly terrible. Poorly written, an implausible plot, and wafer-thin characterisation. In the space of 40 years, the world of Cloud Walker transforms from a medieval village-based society into a high-tech industrialized utopia complete with - yes! - flying machines. I bought this book because I was intrigued by the Luddites As Religion theme. Sadly, the book's multiple shortcomings completely overwhelm what could have a interesting idea. I burnt my copy and the world is a better place for it.

iGadgitz Diamond Clear Durable Crystal Gel Skin Case Cover (Thermoplastic Polyurethane TPU) for Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation 8gb, 32gb, 64gb + Screen Protector

4.0 out of 5 stars Oops, it looks black but isn't, 11 Jun. 2012
I bought this for my teenage son in a hurry. I looked at the photo and assumed it was black. It is isn't. I should have checked the description. My fault entirely.

In fact, the iPod case is clear with a diamond pattern. The overall effect is pleasant but quite feminine. It makes the iPod look like a girl's purse. Be warned, boys probably won't like it.

Cable-Core Heat Shrink Tubing 2:1 Ratio BLACK 4.8mm 1 m per metre
Cable-Core Heat Shrink Tubing 2:1 Ratio BLACK 4.8mm 1 m per metre
Offered by Top Quality Tools

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly incredible!, 11 Jun. 2012
It's a 100 cm long thin rubber tube. It has a robust yet flexible quality. It's strong but yielding, stark but beautiful. If this piece of heat shrink tubing were a car, it would be a Ford Granada.

HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
Offered by imustbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 2 Jun. 2011
If you bought an HP printer and it didn't come with a cable, get this. Very cheap and next day delivery.

Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console (320 GB Model) with LittleBigPlanet 2 Game
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console (320 GB Model) with LittleBigPlanet 2 Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Great service but defective hardware, 28 April 2011
This PS3 bundle was available at a great price and was delivered promptly. So no complaints there. For the first month, the console behaved perfectly. Fantastic picture, quiet operation (much quieter than an XBox), excellent wireless reception, and huge storage (320Gb). The console gets very hot, but that's normal.

However, after four weeks it fell victim to the dreaded Yellow Light of Death (YLOD), a fairly common hardware fault that seems to strike PS3 consoles at random - see elsewhere on the web for other gamers' experiences.