Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Broken Homes (PC Peter Grant Book Book 4)
Broken Homes (PC Peter Grant Book Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost..., 26 July 2013
Why almost? Because Arranovitch seems to have dropped one ball of the many he is juggling in this book. The first half was disconnected and didn't seem to flow like the previous 3 novels. It wasn't until the second half when we get to briefly see Nightingale in full flow that the pace picks up, the links start to be connected and we get more information.
We meet a new individual who could be help or hindrance, and maybe, just maybe, of interest to one of our characters. And the ending wasn't one i saw coming, though thinking back on it i really should have. But as others have said this didn't fully tie up all the plot lines in this novel as others have done, but left a wide gaping maw of a follow on for the next story.
So why the 4 stars instead of 5? EDITING!!!! Seriously, get a couple of decent proof readers to deal with the continuity errors and all the flipping typos!!!!
Other than that this is still an amazing book as all the Rivers novels are. For me they are up there with the Discworld series and that of the Emporers Edge.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2014 9:13 AM BST

Hook's Pan (Kingdom Series Book 5)
Hook's Pan (Kingdom Series Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little read, 21 May 2013
Been looking forward to this book for months now, and thoroughyly enjoyed it. Just wish it had had...well more to it. It felt a little thin in places, but then thats probably me being picky. Hook was deliciously dangerous as expected, with not a sentient wig in sight. Trisha was as sharp tongued as ever, and Danika is starting to show her fangs at last.

We also got great little glimpses of the future oto come. And on her blog Marie has already said she's going to spin off into other characters in Kingdom. And someones daughter may be next (you'll quickly guess who's when you read this).

All in all this whole series has been a fun rollick through fairyland with the bad boys being very Bad and the girls being equally sharp. I can't wait to read more as they are such fun.

Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, Book 6)
Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 20 May 2013
We finally get to book 6.1 where the closed mind of Sicarius plays second fiddle in the story. Little snippets of thoughts on past moments are served up to keep the rabid fangirls (yes me) happy, and also to colour in the ever expanding picture of the relationships amongst the team members.
If you have followed the series so far then this is where everything starts coming to a head. Forge has put all of its pieces on the board and the final game has now begun. Amongst it our heroes are fighting to stop the civil war erupting, to protect one another and to enjoy the peacful lives they want.
However powerful allies of enemies are hunting them, which ends with one of the most heartbreaking scenes i have ever had to read in a book. However as Lindsay knows we'd never forgive her if she killed anyone off, then there has to be a happy ending. Or else.
This story rips along, all of it echoing with both Amaranthe's and Sicarius' thoughts and feelings. As in every other book Lindsay has written each character beautifully and distinctly. The world view expands as players are introduced, setting up future stories that the author has promised. Yara strarts to play a stronger presence in the team, as does Sespian who finally starts to grow up and stop his whining.
All in all this is possibly the best book in the series so far, and Lindsay is already 70000+ words into Book 2, so hopefully that August deadline will be met.
And right at the end a taster of book 6.2 and the arrival of a very Big Player.
The only downside is a few typos here and there the Beta's and editor didn't pick up. Otherwise this is just a breathtaking emotional and exciting ride.

Child of the Ghosts
Child of the Ghosts

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 26 Oct. 2012
I've read the other reviews here and decided I must have downloaded a different novel entirely.

The premise of the story is great - young girl left orphaned; tortured by evil Necromancer and then rescued by the shadowy Ghosts (The emperors secret army). She then joins this army to become one of their elite soldiers/assassins.

All fine so far, and I was really looking forward to reading this.

But...

I'm 30% of the way through and I'm ready to give up. The writing is not the best. There are occasional flashes of nice descriptive text, but thats all it is: flashes. The speech of characters is rather stilted or disjointed. And my copy is literally riddled with typos! I think if I played a game of pin the tail on my kindle I'd hit a typo every time.

And its a damned shame. I'm as bad as anyone for typos and missing the odd word here or there as I write, but that is what proof reading is for. And I get the distinct impression here that proof reading didn't happen. Or if it did it was done by a small child with the attention span of a stunned kitten. And that really has taken away from the story to the point I just cannot read it anymore.

This needs more flow, especially in the speech areas. it needs more descriptive detail, without relying on tired cliches. And it needs a good editor to take it by the scruff of the neck and sort out all of those niggling issues that have destroyed the enjoyment I could have had from this story.

All in all this is a great story opportunity that has been missed. I hope the author comes back to it and rewrites it one day when he has honed his craft a bit more. Until then I will be returning to the worlds of Ben Aaronvitch's 'Rivers of London' and Lyndsay Buroker's 'Emperors Edge' series.

Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, Book 5)
Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another Epic, 2 Oct. 2012
What can I say about this book? Everything...and nothing. Others have already said so much, concentrating on the characters and their development. The awy they interact and how plot threads come together.

All i want to say is just how amazingly Lindsay has woven her threads together in this, and taken the whole and now expanded team to a point of no return.

Book 6 will have Sicarius as the secondary POV, and this is the only way we will fully understand what has been happening and how it has all come about. But in this decisions are made that test our players, make them question themselves then come to realisations of the world around them.

I have to admit i regularly wanted to slap Sespian, but that is just me. He is still essentially a child underneath with a childs thoughts. He can be forgiven.

But keep an eye out for the Star Wars reference, and of course Come to me.

The Emperor's Edge
The Emperor's Edge

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and start to a series, 20 July 2012
I took a chance on this as it was free, and to be honest the blurb was a 'should i give it a try?' I did and so glad I did.

Amaranthe develops nicely over the book, and through the whole series she grows and develops into herself.

The assassin Sicarius is cold, calculating and extremely efficient, and yet Lindsay's writing draws you in. You want more of him, to discover his secrets, and at the end of this there is a BIG secret revealed. And if you are a hot blooded female then you will fall in love with him.

Books is the daddy of the group, but so delicate you want to mother him, but again he grows and develops over this book and the series as a whole.

As to the other characters. Maldynado is, well he's a male tart but so loveable with it. he is permanently full of joie de vivre that you just have to love him.

And the kid of the group has any many hidden depths that start to come out over the series.

If you want to enter into steampunk territory then this series is perfect. This is a great book to enter into without it being very full on like Mann's series but it drags you in and carries you along at a breakneck speed. Lindsay thankfully doesn't spend paragraph after paragraph describing his world or scenes. he lets you develop the images in your head as you read from what his characters say and do, just like the master writer Terry Pratchett does in his Discworld.

Give this book a go, and i will be surprised if you don't then buy the other books in the series, devour them, then devour the Flash Gold novelettes and then are baying for the next installment out in September.

Go on, be brave.