Profile for D. J. Smith > Reviews

Content by D. J. Smith

D. J. Smith "deecoyboi" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Tough Love
Tough Love

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely love it, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Tough Love (Audio CD)
Probably the classiest album that I have purchased this year, absolutely love it

The Minutes
The Minutes
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning !, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Minutes (Audio CD)
Having heard the single " When I was your girl " played on Radio 2 recently I was amazed to learn it was Alison Moyet, a lady I loved from Yazoo days and onwards with her early solo work, but I have to admit she had gone off the radar for me since the single "Calling out your Name " which is clearly a very long time ago.
The album arrived via Amazon this morning and I have to say it is a stunning album which embraces the past electro pop of Yazoo while sounding completely up to date without making Alison mutton and lamb.
The pairing of Guy Sigsworth with Alison is a match made in Heaven it would seem and I honestly hope she had as much pure enjoyment making this album as my wife and I are getting from it this evening in the kitchen !

Exile (Deluxe)
Exile (Deluxe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning second album, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Exile (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
Having read the recent reviews here I genuinely thought I had wasted my money, all this talk of forgetable tunes, guitars and a one album wonder turned out to be complete and utter rubbish.
I recall the same being said last Autumn of Ellie Goulding and Halcyon Days has gone on to be not only a better album than the first but taken her to new dimensions on a global scale.
I read a review on here that claimed Hurts have added guitars to conquer America, well firstly if they have good for them as it has added, not taken away and secondly why would anyone target an album at the UK market anymore ? look at the horrible horrible state of our singles chart, our album chart, the main radio play lists, If I were releasing any new creative music the last place I would look to be successful if I wanted credibility is the UK
This album is amazing and will be very very hard to beat as album of the year for me and its only March
Fantastic !

Most Rated 2010
Most Rated 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Most Rated 2010 (Audio CD)
Sorry to be getting round to this review after owning the albums since February and it now being September but any one into their House, latin, tribal or all things defected should purchase this compilation, it has some seriously good hiided gems on it

Beach House 2011
Beach House 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Beach House 2011 (Audio CD)
Really loved mostly everything Hed Kandi did a few years back but this is really watery, I hate to say it but the last decent beach album for me was last years Beach angel, this does not come close in my opinion

Jordan: The Comeback
Jordan: The Comeback

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing album, 1 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
Very few albums come along and touch your life the way this one did. Along with Raintown by Deacon Blue, Dare by Human League and Disintegration by The Cure this album has shaped my life.
I am not locked in musical history and as a mid 40's married man buy Hed Kandi and alot of trance but this album is one complete emotion if you let yourself free and put it on head phones.
My daughter was named after a track on this album,the entire collection of songs on this album inspired a lot of decisions in my life, including proposing to my wife

4:13 Dream
4:13 Dream

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cure Album for Cure fans, 1 Mar. 2009
This review is from: 4:13 Dream (Audio CD)
If you accept that the best Cure album ever was Disintegration then you will find this a superb work of art after a few listens, what you will miss are the sweeping keyboards. I have read some fairly negative reviews of this album but honestly what new ground does any one want the Cure to break ? other bands can break new ground but this is a classic Cure album in the vein of Kiss or Wild mood swings, not their best album but along way from their worst. I am listening to The hungry ghost, drinking Voddie and cranberry and its working for me !

Saeco Odea Giro Plus coffee maker
Saeco Odea Giro Plus coffee maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally very pleased, 25 Nov. 2008
Just coming up to our first aniversary with our machine and it does make utterly superb coffee. It makes maybe 5 coffees a day in our house ranging from espresso to cappuccino to regular coffee of varying strengths and generally we have been delighted by it. It did have to be sent for a repair under warranty but this was fairly hastle free as the Company is now owned by Gaggia and they have a UK base. I personally find it a little needy with filling up the water, emptying the waste, and cleaning the brew group but very happy on the whole

Hed Kandi The Mix Summer 2008
Hed Kandi The Mix Summer 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars I must be listening to a different album, 21 Aug. 2008
Ignore the politics of Mark Doyle, Hed Kandi, Fierce Angel, honestly ignore that. The track listing on CD1, the apparently "twisted side of dance" begins with a remix of an Adele track and then a Daniel Beddingfield song. Robin S appears somewhere on one of the other mindless cds yet again with show me love for the 345th time this year.
Nuff said, for those of you with a tenner to spend save it for a kebab, this album is beyond credible and yes, I bought it

Angels Fall
Angels Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 6 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Angels Fall (Audio CD)
Still struggling to understand how any one found any tracks to skip on any of the previous Fierce releases ( wonder if they work for team kandi : ) ), however, this album is absolutely beautiful. I also am not a fan of chill out albums and other than Cafe Del Mar I tend to avoid them but this collection is truly beautiful.

All three discs have a different vibe, but each in their own right are stand out collections.

Treat yourself