Profile for TheClaud > Reviews

Content by TheClaud

TheClaud (UK)

The Sims Complete Collection (Mac)
The Sims Complete Collection (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still got it! A classic., 13 Oct. 2013
I was skeptical about buying this game for a while... I hadn't played it since I was a kid and that was on a pc. But there was no need for concern. The Sims is as great as it was back in the early noughties, and it ran like a dream on my Macbook.

I own a white Macbook 10.6.8 (2008 model) and had no problems installing or playing this product. The installation was very quick - a matter of minutes - and it was refreshing to play this game without any slowing and crashing (something that was very commonplace on my old computer). The graphics were exactly as they have always been - not as advanced as The Sims 3 (obviously) but crisp and clear on a Mac screen. It takes up a fraction of space on the hard drive and was surprisingly smooth sailing.

As for the game itself, I prefer it to The Sims 3. Even though you cannot be as specific in your ideas with creating sims and building homes, you get a lot more out of the gameplay. There are a good range of styles of sim, building materials, and furniture to choose from, giving you a varied and exciting neighbourhood. Elements like the burglar who always manages to visit when you forget to install an alarm, to the build mode music, and the mansion are just a few examples of the timeless charm this game has to offer. Most importantly the gameplay is so much more fun with Sims 1. The Sims have more personality, funnier actions, and more exciting adventures in places like Vacation Island and Studio Town. Of course there are still the flaws like no weekends off for employed sims, being unable to place furniture diagonally, and lots more which I can't recall right now but if you played The Sims back in 2000, you'll know what I mean.

Regardless of its minor flaws and old ways, The Sims is a classic game which has stood the test of time. The value for money in this complete collection is huge - bare in mind we bought each individual expansion pack at £30-40 a piece back in the day! It's a bargain and you get so much value out of it. As far as gameplay is concerned you cannot beat original Sims - I love that I can still play this fantastic game over a decade since its initial release.

chinkyboo 20PCS Mascara Wands Brushes For Eyelashes Extensions applicator
chinkyboo 20PCS Mascara Wands Brushes For Eyelashes Extensions applicator
Offered by Tinxs

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, cheap, does this job., 29 Jun. 2013
I have no complaints with these wands. Considering the price and the amount you get for you money - you really can't fault. They separate the hairs of your eyelashes and eyebrows beautifully and are brilliantly handy. Best of all if one goes mucky you have another 19 spare. Cannot fault this.

The Art of The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings)
The Art of The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings)

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 29 Jun. 2013
Now we come to the art and design behind the evilest parts of Middle Earth. Every image, fact, and sketch that was made to create the dominating beauty of Minas Tirith, the sinister evil of Minas Morgul, or the menacing terror of Mordor can be found in these books. All through the trilogy we were awaiting what Mordor would look like, they describe it as evil, a land of shadow and waste... and we finally get it.

A word of warning to arachnophobes - if you are as petrified of spiders as I am be slightly careful as you get the pages about the creation of Shelob. Even though the pictures are bareable there are images that may give you a fright on initially turning the page. Still incredible information on why they chose to make Shelob look as she is.

I've always wanted to know the ins and outs of how the artists behind LOTR created such wonder and outstanding beauty in the films, but I never thought I would be provided with such an intense, broad, and deep amount of information/images. Thank you for this book, and the other two. I will treasure them always.

The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Two Towers

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as amazing as the first book, 29 Jun. 2013
The Art of the Fellowship was all about the more pleasant areas of Middle Earth, like the magical realms of the Elves, the Shire, the underground kingdom of the dwarves. But if you marvelled at those then you'll be equally mesmerised by the darker places that we see in The Two Towers. This book again contains tonnes of incredible and rare images from pre & post production of the second installment in LOTR. From Helm's Deep, to the Dead Marshes, and Fangorn, to the creating of Treebeard and Gollum. This book has everything you ever wanted to know about the artwork behind The Two Towers.

Every LOTR fan should own this book and the other two in the trilogy. You won't regret buying it. I'm so glad that I now have it on my bookshelf for years to come.

The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings)
The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, 29 Jun. 2013
I am so happy I purchased this book. If you were as stunned, overwhelmed by the beautiful landscapes, costumes, effects, and settings of The Lord of the Rings trilogy then you have to buy this book. It has a plethora of stunning stills from the film, photographs on set, sketches that made it into the film and others that didn't, not to mention scores of information and interviews from the artists, including Alan Lee and John Howe. I know for a fact that I will always look through this book throughout the years because it is abundant in beautiful images and fascinating insights on the films.

The highlights of The Art of the Fellowship have to be how they created Rivendell, Moria, the Balrog, Lothlorien, and Argonath on the Great River. I cannot recommend this product more. Basically if you love LOTR more than just as an entertaining film but for it's achievements in cinema, then get your hands on this and the other two as soon as you can.

The Lord of the Rings Complete Visual Companion
The Lord of the Rings Complete Visual Companion
by Jude Fisher

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Jun. 2013
I bought this instead of each visual companion individually after I received The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Movie Guide for my birthday. Whereas The Hobbit book was full of information, interviews with actors, and behind-the-scenes stills, the visual companions for the LOTR trilogy were massively disappointing. The dull "information" was lacking in anything new and often repeated itself. Many of the images were also of a really bad quality, shockingly so; I actually wondered whether I had bought a dodgy copy. Maybe this book would be fun for kids as it doesn't offer much, but for a fan of Peter Jackson's trilogy this simply isn't good enough.

Instead I recently bought 'The Lord of the Rings: The Art of...' books for each of the three films compiled by Gary Russell. Each book is dedicated to one of the trilogy and is filled with a plethora of rare information, interviews with the artists behind the sets, costumes, etc, and basically a dream to read for any fan of the films. Beautifully presented with unique sketches, drawings, and stills, you see exactly how the films came about, and the stages of progress each character had to go through. Fascinating, compelling, and a joy to have on my shelves, I am very happy with those books instead.

If you want detailed information about the LOTR films, don't buy the visual companion. It offers very little but may be nice for a child.