Profile for K. Morice > Reviews

Content by K. Morice

K. Morice "kevinmorice" (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SanDisk SDCZ50-032G-B35 32 GB Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ50-032G-B35 32 GB Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Offered by MyMemory
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, as long as you don't want to take it with you, 6 Aug 2014
Lasted less than a fortnight before the keyring attachment snapped. Up to that point I was really happy with it. It is small, light, fast. Just the attachment point is too weak, probably not helped by being off-centre for some reason which as a professional engineer I still can't figure out.

Muddyfox RBS100 Mens Cycling Shoes White/Black 9 UK UK
Muddyfox RBS100 Mens Cycling Shoes White/Black 9 UK UK
Offered by Sports Direct
Price: 20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 23 July 2014
They are pretty spacious. The single strap means that you can tighten them around the middle of the foot, but this still leaves the toe box as quite spacious but I couldn't have come down a size as I need the full length.

The single strap and it's direction was the reason I bought these. I want them so I can unstrap them pre-transition for triathlons without catching the straps in the drive train.

The shimano cleats I have fitted were difficult to align (I have 4 other pairs of shimano shoes which were all much easier).

Revised review a month on.
As others have said the strap is not great, I found it fine to start with but using them for triathlons I find it is not particularly good once it is wet, I think I am going to have to take the same approach as others and trim the end of it.
Also they are very easily scratched.
And having fitted standard Shimano SH-11 cleats I have found there is a bit of vertical slack in them that is a bit frustrating. Have changed from 4 to 3 stars.

Vittoria Cartridge Repair Kit - White
Vittoria Cartridge Repair Kit - White
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Only for emergencies, 9 May 2014
I carry one of these during races. It is for emergencies only to save me from having to change a tube during a race. The hole has to be relatively small so I wouldn't bother trying it on mtb tyres

Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - Blue
Offered by K.K. Electronics
Price: 54.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be better, 17 April 2014
I tend to just use mine for running rather than swimming. I have given them three stars as they are still useful for running and save me fighting a cable to my phone or ipod or trying to keep those headphones in my ears as I run.

I have tried them about 8 times in the pool and I can't get them to work for more than half a dozen lengths. No matter how I adjust the strap and change the ear buds they won't stay on during the push out of turns (tumble or push turns equally, it doesn't matter).

They are fine in the bath or if I just tootle along at low effort and stop at each turn, but that defeats the point of them as a training aid. And they are much too large to put your swim cap over without being horribly uncomfortable so would be all but useless for girls with longer hair.

Doomsday Book
Doomsday Book
by Connie Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid but ultimately predictable, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Doomsday Book (Paperback)
I picked this up as it is in SPR's top-100 sci fi books ever. It is certainly a good sci-fi read but I wouldn't have it in my top-100.

The premise is solid, the lead in from there is pretty competent, then it gets a bit rushed. If you are going to read it, do not read the dust jacket first!

Caution: indirect spoilers from here.

There is a twist coming in the middle but it is written on the jacket! I thought this might be an easy give-up because there was something else clever coming in the story so letting that one out didn't matter, but once that one is up the book is pretty much over. The second half is utterly predictable and rushes a bit towards the end. And then it is a bit of Hollywood ending.

Tenn-Outdoors Men's Shower Windproof Foldable Cycling Gilet - White, Medium/40-42 Inch
Offered by Tenn Outdoors
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for light weather, 15 Oct 2013
Very handy. Really light and packs nice and small to go into the pocket of your cycling jersey or saddlepack for emergencies. Not the warmest or the the most waterproof but copes with a summer shower well enough and helps to keep the wind off if the weather turns on you when you are out.

Pocket in the back is only velcro tabbed, so wouldn't keep anything important in it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim fit, very smart, 15 Oct 2013
Very smart and nicely fitted. I am quite tall and slim and it fits me well.

As with all double cuff shirts the cuffs are going to feel baggy on anyone with the sort of skinny arms that go with the skinny body that this shirt is designed for.

Pearl Izumi Elite Cycling Shoe Toe Covers - Black, Small/Medium
Pearl Izumi Elite Cycling Shoe Toe Covers - Black, Small/Medium
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for frozen toes, 15 Oct 2013
Half way step between frozen toes and full shoe covers. Especially good for short triathlons when you have wet feet, ventilated shoes and no time for socks. Also good for an extra layer under your full shoe covers during winter if you are as coldphobic as I am.

This is actually my second set as I ripped one of my first set trying to use my foot as a brake during a crash.

Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch
Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch
Offered by Prompt Electronics
Price: 103.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but ...., 7 Sep 2013
OK, so it works, but there are more than a few bugs, and some of them are pretty massive.

I swim a lot of open water, for this it is absolutely useless. If you tell it you are doing drills and manually feed it the distance then it throws away your stroke data, but at least you can dump time and (artificial) distance data to online account. If you tell it you are swimming straight it can't cope at all.

In the pool it is much better. You still need to be doing a fairly clean stroke though. So if you are doing a mixed training set with drills in it becomes useless again. Now you can get round this one a bit by resetting it to drill mode between reps but that gets really tedious, and allows on you having enough energy and awareness between reps to be faffing about in the settings.

If you hit pause it stops recording data other than the time. Ok if you are just resting and you don't want it trying to guess what your arm movements are while you get a drink or lean on poolside, but really annoying if you miss the button, or accidentally press twice, or aren't paying attention to whether it is recording or paused.

To get a a better score from me:
It needs a sensible open water setting.
And it needs an option to upload your session in advance or to just collect the raw data and let you edit each effort afterwards.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2014 10:00 PM BST

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite upgrade but ...., 6 April 2013
Bought as a replacement for my damaged basic Kindle.

Starting with the bad. I am not a fan of the touchscreen, or the menus, or the removal of the buttons. However I am going to be in a minority there as it is tending towards a more user-friendly GUI. I liked the simple list though and I find the new advertising section "you might also like to read..." is pushy.

The backlight is a huge improvement though, and the battery life is not notably worse. The increase in weight is minimal, but if anything helps make it feel a bit more solid.

At this point I would probably still have given it 5 stars but then there is the fidgeting they have done with the clippings. The new system just doesn't work. They lost 2 years of my clippings when I transferred across from my damaged kindle. That was annoying, but then the new system is just terrible.

In the end I feel it is too big a step from original. It is too much trying to be "more than a book", while forgetting that if I wanted more than a book I would have bought the Fire or an iPad instead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4