Profile for Ben Pacy > Reviews

6 and 12 String Guitar
6 and 12 String Guitar
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 12.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues, folk , and classical guitar all rolled into one..., 19 July 2002
This review is from: 6 and 12 String Guitar (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard of Leo Kottke when this album was recommended to me but now I can't understand why! He is simply a genius with an acoustic guitar. However, don't assume that this means this guy simply shows off his obvious talents with fast but unmelodic nonsense - far from it. Every song has a unique feeling to it and the mood and atmosphere he creates with his guitars is unique. His guitar is a powerful voice and this album is the most compelling evidence of his talent.

Beachwood Sparks
Beachwood Sparks
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this little album a chance to grow on you..., 19 July 2002
This review is from: Beachwood Sparks (Audio CD)
This album could be regarded as twee folk/country-pop, but not by me. I gave it a chance to grow on me and it did just that. I feel that the songs become more individual and interesting over time and the second half of the album in particular becomes more and more haunting over time. The songs are nicely constructed and although quiet and unassuming there is a really warm feeling of familiarity and nostalgia which underlies the whole experience. A nice album and one which is more unique that it perhaps sounds at first.

Songs For Swingin' Lovers
Songs For Swingin' Lovers
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.12

5.0 out of 5 stars The standout swing album of the Capitol era..., 19 July 2002
I completely agree with what everyone has said here, this is a brilliant Sinatra album. It captures the finesse of the 'Riddle swing' really nicely and the slower ballads are performed with a wonderful light-heartedness giving the album a perfect balance. This is a good place to get into Frank and I would say the best of the 'upbeat' capitol albums. However, my personal preference is for the more moving and solemn Nelson Riddle albums of this period where Frank has more opportunity to show off the emotion in his voice.

I Left My Heart in San Francisco/I Wanna Be Around
I Left My Heart in San Francisco/I Wanna Be Around
Offered by trec002
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value CD in the world?, 19 Feb 2002
Personally, I think Tony Bennett shines live, late at night, and that his voice has actually got better over the years. However, BOTH of these studio albums are wonderful. There is real heart and soul in both of them and they are both FUN. The sound quality is practically perfect and the mood is so relaxing and elegant. What value!!!

Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely
Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars (Just about) the best Sinatra capitol album, 7 Feb 2002
This album is the perfect mood album. The collaboration of Riddle's sorrowful string ensembles and the heartbreak and strain in Sinatra's voice make it a both mellow and melancholy experience. In the Wee Small Hours comes a close second, but the songs on this album are just so consistently good. The best of the Riddle 'sad' ones.