Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
New Asus Google Nexus 7 FHD 2013 (2nd Generation Model, Android 4.3 4.4) BLACK Multi-Function SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Screen Protector Shield Guard & Nexus 7 FHD 2 2.0 II Tablet Black Stylus Pen Accessory Accessories Pack by InventCase® (Compatible only with the Nexus 7 2013 Model)
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Folio version works great with my N7 2013, 29 Nov. 2013
I got this case recently for my new N7 2013. I purchased the folio version, so the one with a 3 fold cover, and it works like a dream, the flap snaps firmly in place thanks to the magnet and it also auto-switches the N7 on/off, just like the iPad covers. You can also flip the N7 the other way up and fold the cover onto itself into a triangle so that the N7 can stand upright on its side. A very efficient and good-value-for-money purchase.

It also comes with a stylus and a protective cover which you can apply to the N7 screen

SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars About to buy until I saw the always online requirement, shocking, 8 Mar. 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I was almost about to buy this game being a big fan of the original Sim City games, until I saw the requirement to be online at all times. My main PC is in an area of the house that has very flaky wifi reception, so its a complete non starter for me. What a great shame!

Poetic Slimbook Case for the Asus Transformer TF300 Black with Build In Stand (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but has its design flaws, 7 Dec. 2012
I bought this case to protect the tablet when I am away on business and don't want to take the keyboard with me. Its not bad in that it is a sturdy case with magnets in the flaps to close it firmly when shut. The main design flaw is that the tablet has to be placed in it upside down for all the connectors to fit the holes (ie the camera holes are on the bottom and not the top). I bought this primarily so that I could balance the tablet on my lap without having to raise my knees to type, and by and large it works well but the fact the tablet has to be upside down is damn annoying as Ive got used to the power button being at the top left.

How to Survive Skiing
How to Survive Skiing

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting but also funny read!, 5 Nov. 2012
I have to say I chuckled all the way through this book. It provides a great insight into what people commonly get wrong when learning to ski, but does it with humour and panache. A great read for the train or plane!

Asus TF300T 10.1-inch Multitouch Tablet with Keyboard (Blue) (Nvidia Tegra 3 1.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB HDD, WLAN, BT, 2x Cam, Android 4.0)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome tablet, and a laptop replacement for a non-power user, 10 Oct. 2012
I received my Asus Transformer TF300 yesterday after doing over a month's worth of research. I wanted a device that could REPLACE my clunky 4 year old laptop. One of the biggest draw backs to tablets up until recently has been a lack of storage space, connectivity options and the lack of suitable office software with which to do some work if needed. I mainly used my laptop for web browsing, email and music/movie consumption so storage is a big factor for me.

I was split between some of the Acer Iconia tablets and this one, and finally settled on the Asus due to the keyboard dock, and boy do I not regret my choice, the keyboard dock is what makes the device an absolutely fantastic experience. The Asus only has 32GB on internal storage but the ace up its sleeve is that it has so many connectivity options, not only does it have a full size SD card slot in the keyboard dock, but it also has a microSD slot in the tablet itself (and for all those who are wondering you can use them BOTH simultaneously), meaning you can potentially add up to 128GB of additional space. On top of that the keyboard dock has a full size USB port meaning that you can plug in USB mice, USB flash drives and YES, USB hard drives (both NTFS and FAT supported). Another neat feature is the ability to support multiple USB devices at once, so I plugged in a 4 port USB hub into the device and then connected my mouse and USB HD to the hub, and it works a treat.

Initial Boot: As soon as I got the package I was like a child in a sweet shop, I wanted to rip it open and get started straight away, unfortunately absolutely nothing happened when I pressed the on button, after doing a bit of googling I found that the device requires at least a 3 hour initial charge before it can be used for the first time, so have patience and do not think its DOA immediately! After 3 or so hours I came back to it and hey presto it works!

Performance: The device was a little clunky at first, until I discovered the power settings, which can be set to Power Saving, Balanced and Performance, and on the latter the device really roars to life. I also updated the device to Jelly Bean using the neat over the air update which comes up and the device now seems even faster. Movies and Music play great with no performance lags whatsoever, Angry Birds plays like a dream.

Screen: The screen is good, solid and very bright (I had to turn the brightness down to 50% because it was dazzling me). Not quite as good as the screens on the iPad 2+3 but still nice enough for the price. The only issue I found after working so long with a 15" laptop is I starting hunching forward in my seat to use it because of the reduced screen size. Docking and undocking from the keyboard is a pretty simple process, albeit a little fiddly in a darkened room, you really need to get those pins aligned and the power button is placed in such a way that you hit it by accident when connecting the tablet to the dock.

Email: The device comes with all the usual Android array of email apps including GMail. You can also download loads more apps from the Play store. One tip for those of you moving from an Outlook type environment, it is possible to move all your emails out of Outlook and into GMail, you just need to set up IMAP on the gmail account, open the account in Outlook and copy the emails over and hey presto you now have all your offline Outlook emails in gmail!

Conclusion I've only had the device for 24 hours but so far I love it. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that I also have an iPad 2 for work and a point of comparison. The screen just isn't quite on par with the iPad, so things like webpages and images don't look quite as swish as on the iPad, but still you are not paying the same price so I wasn't expecting an identical experience. Still, the screen is good enough and I am more than willing to take that and have the connectivity options galore than go with the iPad which is really only a PC/Mac accompaniment. The iPad cannot replace your laptop, it is too limited and you simply cannot expand the storage that they give you, whereas the Asus Transformer has so many ways to expand it that it HAS just replaced my laptop.

Eye of the Needle
Eye of the Needle

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the squeamish but very good story, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Eye of the Needle (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book on my kindle while on holiday and finished it in 2 days. I literally could not put it down, the story is absolutely gripping, especially since I am keen on WW2 history. I can't believe I wasn't even born when this book was written!

Despite being a very good story, be prepared for many depictions of violence and gory murder scenes, some parts made my spine tingle.

All in all, great book and well worth the price

Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Digital Camera (16MP EXR-CMOS Sensor, 30x Manual Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tiltable LCD Screen
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Not quite an SLR but worth the money, 6 Jun. 2012
I bought the HS30 after having had a Fuji Finepix s6500fd for approximately 6 years. The s6500 was a 6MP bridge camera and took very good photos. I was looking for something with a bigger range of settings as well as taking bigger Mega Pixel photos. When I first got the camera I was a bit disappointed in that there was quite a bit of noise in my initial shots, however no more than my old s6500fd (after doing a head to head) and I thought it was perhaps due to my lack of knowledge about the camera's settings. I then took the new camera to a family wedding and the camera really started showing its class. I took about 150 shots and the results were pretty impressive, even when taking zoomed shots from long range. It's also pretty fast at taking and processing the images (perhaps 2-3 times as fast as my old camera).

The only problem I have with it is that the lens barrel is slightly narrower than the s6500 meaning that in low light/indoor (no flash) it captures less light than the s6500 meaning that it needs a lower shutter speed to capture the same light as the s6500, this sometimes leads to blurred shots, and a conundrum where you have to increase the ISO sensor speed to get a decent low light/no-flash shot, but the noise in the photo then becomes more apparent. For me thats manageable since all I am doing is looking at my photos on a computer/tablet and publishing to websites/Facebook. For more professional uses this low light issue may be a show stopper, and going for a camera with a larger sensor might be a better option.

Overall I would say its a pretty decent camera for the price, if you're looking for something near-SLR like then the Finepix X-S1 is definitely a step up, but it is £200 more expensive and is much larger physically (which I wasn't willing to put up with as I want to be able to take my camera in a small bag on holiday).

Another tip is while its much cheaper to buy these cameras online through Amazon I would definitely check the camera out in person in a shop first as the use of a camera involves so many physical aspects that you just cannot make an informed decision by pictures on the web alone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 12:08 AM GMT

Present Danger (Liz Carlyle Book 5)
Present Danger (Liz Carlyle Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story, 28 May 2012
This was my first Stella book and I have to say I found the story pretty gripping and very believable. It's obvious that Stella's experience heading MI5 has influenced the story line and the way MI5 teams work in the book, and it makes the story that much more believable. Definitely worth a read!

The Expats
The Expats
by Christopher Pavone
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but a bit jumpy, 11 May 2012
This review is from: The Expats (Audio CD)
I liked the storyline, it was quite fast paced and had some good characters. However the story jumps backwards and forwards through time a lot which gets very confusing. Overall its a 6\10

Refuge
Refuge

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite grisly but very well written, 10 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Refuge (Kindle Edition)
Like Richard's other books this one is pretty grisly and not what you would call a 'pleasant' read but I could not put this book down (although I have to admit I skipped the in-depth bits about Satanism). The story is gripping from start to finish albeit with a bit of a rushed ending. Looking forward to my next Richard Herley book!

Page: 1 | 2