Profile for Holiday fanatic > Reviews

Holiday fanatic

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly written book!, 26 Feb 2014
From the very first sentence this book had me enthralled.It is superbly written, thoughtful, funny, evocative and very sad.I had to stop reading it last thing at night because I couldn't put it down and also because I found it too emotionally draining and couldn't go to sleep straight afterwards. It is incredibly accurate in its portrayal of a young man's descent into mental illness and also in its description of the mental health professional network involved with him ( I also work in mental health).However, this book may not be suitable reading for anyone going through a difficult time .....though, on the other hand, I also feel that it is a book which everyone , at some point in their lives, should read as it really helps the lay person understand mental illness from the 'inside'.I loved the book.

Me Before You
Me Before You

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by this author - having had her books recommended in the past.It's likely to be my last. I don't know if 'Me before You' is typical of her writing but it reads like a short story from a downmarket woman's weekly magazine-lacking in any depth and not erudite.It might suit someone who wants a frothy beach read or something to read with your mind eldewhere but that's about it.

The Poisonwood Bible
The Poisonwood Bible

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and thought-provoking, 6 Nov 2012
I have now read this book twice and couldn't put it down either time.The development of the main characters' personalities and how this intertwines with political and cultural issues makes this a riveting read.It is funny,full of pathos and gut-wrenching at times. It made me question a number of cultural preconceptions.A brilliant book expertly written.