Profile for Zizzy > Reviews

Content by Zizzy

Double Door Button Ring Box (BDR3)
Double Door Button Ring Box (BDR3)
Offered by Box Displays

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
Nice and compact. Dies the job and very good for the price.

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum V20 (Mac/PC)
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum V20 (Mac/PC)
Offered by Pytrops

4.0 out of 5 stars Good job Mavis! You're doing great! - (well good enough)., 12 Mar. 2011
This is a good product that worked instantly on my mac. British users will need to change their keyboard layout to US to get through the symbol drills as the hash is in the wrong place.

Don't forget that you can change the music or add your own and of course any Brits startled at being told repeatedly that we are "doing great!" and are a "great typist", while stumbling through exercises at 19 words a minute can always put the sound on mute.

If you go to "menu" and look through the practice programs there is a lot of material that makes a change from the lessons and exercises. I rather enjoyed typing through Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.

I have improved in only one day, although it has to be said I am making dreadful typos all the way through typing this, - perhaps I am growing dependent upon Mavis's encouragement!

In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an AandE Doctor
In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an AandE Doctor

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better written and let down by sloppy transfer to Kindle., 10 Mar. 2011
Very interesting material written by a clearly nice bloke and decent doctor who regrettably is not a gifted writer. I enjoyed this but only moderately. Another reviewer has observed that it reads like a blog I entirely agree, in fact I may have read that it started out as a blog.

I read this on my Kindle, let me say that I adore my Kindle and I have read many books on it already but I am very disappointed with the careless formatting and (absence of?) proofreading in a number of them, including this one. The writer often employs the modern punctuation convention of commas and/or dashes in lieu of commas or semi-colons, which is fine by me but is not fine when on the Kindle the spaces between the dash and the words are missing, so that at first glance you are confronted with a nonsensical compound word. There are a number of other typos and errors. I noticed similar errors in the kindle version of Bill Bryson's Notes on a Small Isalnd. This really is unforgivably sloppy as while the price of these digital books is significantly cheaper than the paper versions, the production and distribution costs are much, much cheaper than the paper equivalents. They need to stop being lazy cheapskates and invest in proper proofreading and revision of their ebook/Kindle editions. If I were an author I would be horrified to see my work mangled in this way.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 11:17 AM BST

Spanish in 3 Months: Your essential guide to understanding and speaking Spanish (Hugo in 3 Months CD Language Course)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers!, 23 Feb. 2011
I really did learn the basics of Spanish in 3 months with this book. It took me from scratch to post GSCE standard. I joined an intermediate Spanish evening class upon completing it aimed bridging the gap between GSCE standard and A/S standard and found that my understanding of the grammar was well above the class level. I probably had less vocabulary as they had been studying Spanish for at least 3 years but this is so easily remedied. I progressed through A/S and A2 levels at night class attaining very high A grades and I would give a great deal of the credit to this book for giving me such a sound grounding.

The insistence on introducing grammar from the very beginning means you really gain an understanding of the language and can use it creatively to generate your own sentences whereas many other courses focus on providing you with useful words and phrases but if you do not understand how they are formed and why then it is impossible to progress beyond parroting set phrases.

I think this book is best approached in a very pedantic, methodical way: if you actually learn the vocab and grammar in each Unit and complete the exercises you WILL become competent in Spanish, whether it takes you 3 or 6 months.

Some people may find it a little dry but it really does the job and is very cleverly structured so as to build your skills incrementally. I recommend getting your kicks and improving your ear with the excellent free beginners podcasts from the Notes in Spanish website. Another essential for the Spanish learner is 501 Spanish Verbs, - a life-saver.501 Spanish Verbs: 7th Ed W/CD ROM and Audio CD Pkg (501 Verb) (Barron's 501 Spanish Verbs (W/CD))
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2011 9:41 AM BST

Chambers Spanish-English Dictionary
Chambers Spanish-English Dictionary

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tool - needs clearer description on Amazon., 9 Feb. 2011
This is by far the most expensive download I have purchased for my 3G Kindle and I was in two minds but no longer. It is an excellent Spanish to English Dictionary and the best currently available for e-book readers. As an advanced and voracious reader of Spanish texts I tend to find that most words I do not know are not included in most two-way dictionaries but even reading texts with archaic words it is very rare that this dictionary does not contain them. It is also very proficient at identifying the root word from the declined version you are highlighting in the text.

I have this set as my default dictionary and use the highlighter function to highlight those vocabulary items I have had to look up, thereby creating a file I can refer back to to learn this new vocabulary.

Most negative reviews seem to be buyers disappointed that it is not a two-way dictionary and this should certainly be made clear in the description of the product on here. However those buying it, as I did for what it is - a Spanish to English Dictionary will be as thrilled as I am.