Profile for JulesAtCumbria > Reviews

Mara Lightmode Foyer Pendant Light Shade Crystal: Plum / Clear
Mara Lightmode Foyer Pendant Light Shade Crystal: Plum / Clear
Offered by Ur Choice

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great!, 1 Nov. 2014
Far better than the price suggests - it looks great!

The Real Deal (Biography Autobiographypersona)
The Real Deal (Biography Autobiographypersona)
by Rod Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Can a life be too far from God's love to be saved?, 1 Nov. 2014
This is a remarkable book. From the first I was drawn into Rod's story. He writes with a refreshingly untutored style, which gives his story even more impact and immediacy. I felt, with him, his downward spiral into the darkness of his drug and crime-infused world and, similarly, rejoiced with him as he was lifted into light and hope. This is a book that speaks eloquently of redemption and reconciliation and I would thoroughly recommend it, first as an honest story of a life turned around and second, as an example of the fact that there is no one who cannot be too far from God's love, who can have done something so awful that they cannot be forgiven. It's a real gem!

PERSONALISED WOODEN PHOTO FRAME DOG PET GIFT
PERSONALISED WOODEN PHOTO FRAME DOG PET GIFT

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct. 2014
Really helpful folks, lovely product and the recipients were really touched. Thank you!

Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about the World Cup Volume Seven: 2010-2014: Volume 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says ...., 23 May 2014
The author sets out to write a complete overview of the World Cup from its inception to the present day, covering every item of information but in a style that is enjoyable and easy to access ... and I have to say that he has succeeded magnificently on both counts. What I enjoyed about this set is that it has all the information and stats that I could possibly want, right there, at my fingertips - no fiddling around on the internet trying to track down those elusive results/team members/etc., but it is put together in such an engaging style. This was brought home to me by the fact that my wife, who has no interest in football, picked up one of the volumes to see what I was engrossed in, and was still flicking through it five minutes later! I could say much more, but this is one of those "does what it says..." books and it truly whets my appetite for Brazil 2014. Bring it on!!

Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about the World Cup Volume Six: 2002-2006: Volume 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says ..., 23 May 2014

Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about the World Cup Volume Five: 1994- 1998: Volume 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says ..., 23 May 2014

Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about the World Cup Volume Four: 1982-1990: Volume 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says ....., 23 May 2014

Impietas: Volume 2 (Decline and Fall)
Impietas: Volume 2 (Decline and Fall)
by D J G Berkeley

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to see the second one's out!, 21 May 2014
Having really enjoyed Berkeley's first novel, Sacramentum, I was delighted to see that his follow-up has been available for a few months now - needless to say I availed myself of a copy straight away. Getting back into that extraordinary world of Rome, but fast-forwarded to the 21st Century was truly a delight. And what a great read it is - the same characters, developed from the first book in the trilogy, together with new ones woven into the action, made it easy to slip back into that world. Having got to know those characters through the pages of Sacramentum, I think Berkeley's development of them was intelligently handled and he has certainly developed as a writer himself. This is most clearly shown in some of the conversations that he portrays, especially between Titus and his dad which are, for want of a better word, genuinely moving. As before there are numerous fiight scenes, but the author builds up the suspense to a greater extent than his previous effort and there is a real feeling of tension and menace - it was surprisingly good! I have to say that compared with his first book, Impietas is a good deal darker and the reader feels that oppression as the story gathers pace - I certainly would not wish to be an inhabitant of the 21st Century Rome he portrays - and certainly not if I was forced to live in the Imum!

No, this is definitely a worthy successor to what I felt was a good debut novel; I thoroughly enjoyed it, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a fast-paced read with plenty of action and characters that the reader can empathise with and I have to say that I shall make a little more effort to keep an eye open for the final book in the trilogy. Now, when's that due to appear....?

Little Tikes Gas N Go Mower
Little Tikes Gas N Go Mower
Offered by Howleys Toy Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner!, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Little Tikes Gas N Go Mower (Toy)
Got this for our grandson when they moved house. He fell upon it with glee and spent the day filling it from its petrol tank, pulling the starter (with realistic sound) and trundling it round his new garden while all the unpacking was going on. He absolutely loves it and although I cannot vouch for its longevity it seems sturdy and is just the job for a mower-crazed three-year old.

Sacramentum
Sacramentum

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for a first effort, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Sacramentum (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by this book: as a keen fan of Ancient Rome as well as someone fascinated by "what if..." scenarios, this seemed to tick several boxes, so I gave it a go. The author is a doctor (interesting start!) who writes from his own interest base and places the action in his hometown of Carlisle, set in a present day which is governed by Rome (well, sort of). Berkeley writes with an appealingly untutored style and yet commands attention, marshalling a cohort of characters who he develops intelligently and placing them in a narrative which sweeps along at a good pace. The scope of the book puts me in mind of authors that he is clearly influenced by, people like Bernard Cornwell and Robert Harris; sure, no way would I put him up there, but this is a really good effort for a first novel and definitely well worth a read! It even has surprising gems in it: funny grafitti ... in Latin as well as the beginnings of a new language based on modernised Latin nouns which, for Romans, contain 'new' objects, a la "A Clockwork Orange". Little nuggets like this lend it a charm all of its own. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and hope it won't be Berkeley's only effort.

Page: 1 | 2