Profile for liveon14887 > Reviews

liveon14887

Regulate ... G Funk Era
Regulate ... G Funk Era

5.0 out of 5 stars Regulators... MOUNT UP!, 29 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Regulate ... G Funk Era (Audio CD)
Those are the first words you'll hear when you jam this bumping CD on. The first time I heard this song, I thought to myself, "damn, I gotta get that CD!" I already knew Warren G but not very well and I was a youngster but after getting my brother to get me this tape, this is what made me like Warren G even more. This is one of the funkiest beats I have ever heard. Warren G knows exactly how to get down and how people like dance music.
It's years later now since I owned "Regulate" on tape and now one might ask what I think about this classic G Funk album. More rappers have come out since Regulate but I still say it's one of the best rap albums ever made. The beats are dated but god damn, you gotta say they are one of the bests you'll hear. All the beats are driven with long deep basslines that make for perfect head bobbin. Each beat has its own unique style while at the same time maintaining a cohesiveness that binds the album track after track.
I must admit, Warren G is not the best rapper but he can still lay down raps that are dope therefore which is why I call him one of the best G Funk rappers. He is not fast, he is not different or original but he's an expert DJ, not an expert rapper. What he does bring is a smooth style that works wonders with his beats, which is what he was after all along.
Songs are very catchy which is why I love them so much. Songs can get stuck in your head for days and you can never get sick of it. The tracks are downright memorable. It would have been better to see a few more guest appearances from Snoop Dogg, Dr. De and 2Pac as I would have thought that would make this album even better. All in all, it's a great G Funk album and everyone should definately get their hands gripped on this.

AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted [with Bonus EP]
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted [with Bonus EP]

5.0 out of 5 stars the title speaks for itself, 22 Oct. 2003
Ice Cube's first solo effort, this album proves he is fresh out of N.W.A. Thankfully, he doesn't waste his time about breaking up or his beef with N.W.A. Ice Cube comes out with a lot to say, and trust me, he does it well.
Here, Cube talks about the struggles the black community has to go through. From oreo cookies, to sellouts with PHD's, to the projects, Cube has it all. Unlike most rappers, Cube doesn't come out with paper-thin excuses that pass the buck. He addresses us legit issues with legit attitudes. He has the gift to rhyme and a penchant for telling it like it is. I give the lyrics my highest recommendation.
With political issues on his mind, Cube can also make you laugh at times. An example of this is You Can't Fade Me where he talks about his pregnancy shock. At one point of the song, he fantasizes about booting the woman in the stomach. The whole song can be labelled as one of the funniest rap songs ever made. And to top it off, listen to JD's Gafflin.
Unfortunately, these days not many people enjoy old rap, REAL RAP. The bottom line is that it's 13 years later. The beats and even the lyrics are a bit dated but I won't dwell on it because it's not fair to review it 11 years later. Let's just say that the beats are average compared to the ones coming out today. If you don't like old rap, excuse me REAL RAP, then you won't like this album. Some people can listen to it for 3 seconds and then say that they don't like it.
Having made up of some good songs, there are the times where Ice Cube just doesn't give it his best shot. Some examples of these are What They Hittin' Fo', A Gangsta's Fairytale and It's a Man's World. The CD is a definite mix of excellent, good and bad. Cube's best and worst are all displayed here.
The only way to conclude this review is by saying: if you're into fake rap where stupid idiots talk about the bling-bling and Bentleys throughout thier whole album (eg. Nelly, Ludacris, Gay-Z, Gay Rule, Poof Daddy, Cam'Ron etc.), this ain't for you. If you like hot rap that is as smooth is silk, this ain't for you. If you are all about nice sounding rap, this DEFINATELY ain't for you! But if you like hardcore, old gangsta sh*t rap then get your hands on these. If you are new to gangsta rap, get your hands on this as Ice Cube is one of the founding rappers of GANGSTA RAP! PEACE!
SONGS TO LOOK OUT FOR
JACKIN FOR BEATS
DEAD HOMIEZ
I GOTTA SAY WHAT'S UP!

4.0 out of 5 stars he's STILL D.R.E., 22 Oct. 2003
This review is from: 2001 (Audio CD)
"Things just ain't the same for gangstas, times is changing young niggaz is agin'." This is how Dre begins his work. This represents the more comtemplative less KrAyZeE aZz GeE that The Chronic brings. He's still the best, he's still smoking weed but the way he thinks has changed.
There are many great songs on here that just need to be heard. Songs like Still D.R.E. creates the same magical feelings that Let Me Ride and Nuthin But a "G" Thang did and do. It makes you want to bob your head to the music and feel Dre. Whatever happened in 10 years, he's still D.R.E. It's not so Gay-Z and Nas. He's representing every gangsta worldwide.
The next song you'll find amazing is "What's the Difference". In this, Dr. Dre strikes gold, if not, platinum. The song just lifts him up high and the guest appearances are amazing. Dre is real, Eminem is crazy (as always) and Mr. X 2 the Z Xzibit is hardcore. It's a great blend with a somewhat ridiculous beat.
Forgot About Dre is the next song to come up and has to be one of the finest Dre has ever come up with. Him and Eminem both create vibrant lyrics that would want to make you check out the lyrics so you can sing to it as well. The beat is amazing, as usual. The Next Episode is by far my favorite song. It completes the cycle of top shelf songs. Dre and Snoop both lay down tight verses where Nate Dogg tops it off. The only problem is, is that it's too short.
The other half of the album is not as good as the first half. I can feel Some L.A. Niggaz and Murder Ink but the other songs are far from good. Dre gives about everyone on Aftermath Records a test drive. This is the reason why I gave this album a 4 star.
Overall, the second serving from Dre is a nice touch but nothing can be better than his first success, The Chronic. It is filled with great and incredible songs but I admire The Chronic more. Dre is more mellow on this CD and more personal too. Thankfully, at least we all know that he's still D.R.E. and he's still rocking the mic as if he was back in his N.W.A. days, damn I miss those times...
SONGS TO LOOK OUT FOR:
THE MESSAGE

Me Against The World
Me Against The World
Offered by zoverstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars your rap collection is not complete without this, 10 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Me Against The World (Audio CD)
1995 was the year Death Row was to see their resurrection with a new rapper. 1995 was also the year 2Pac finally was released from all the struggles he survived. 2Pac was released from jail when he agreed to do 3 albums with Death Row Records and work with Marion 'Suge' Knight. As a result, the album placed #1 on the Billboard charts for quite some time as well as being the first album to reach multi-platinum status. To understand this album, you must first understand the struggles 2Pac went through before this album came out. 2Pac believed he was a menace to society in music. The vice president critizied him saying that his music had no place in a civilized area. 2Pac was also arrested and imprisoned for an alleged sexual assault and to top it off, 2Pac was attacked and robbed in 1994 when he went to go and record a track with a rapper. Reports say that about $40,000 worth of jewellery was taken from 2Pac. With all this happening to 2Pac, the album turned out to be more political and showing his darker side. This CD is packed with classics starting off with 'If I Die 2nite', where he sings in a sad voice. 'Me Against the World' depicts his problems with the government, politics and his enemies. Nice touch with incredible lyrics. 'So Many Tears' shows his darker side where he talks about death and how he feels unwanted but 'Temptations' sets the CD's mood into a happy mood. Songs like 'Lord Knows' and 'Heavy in the Game' are more hardcore and heart-filling whereas 'Dear Mama' has to be one of the most heart-filled tracks he has ever written. Words cannot describe just how perfect this track is, definately one of my favorites of all time by the legendary 2Pac. 'It Ain't Easy' is the most mellowest track on the album where 2Pac performs just as well as on any other track. 'F*ck the World' and 'Outlaw' are more angry and sad but 2 excellent tracks you should listen to very carefully. But the track you're really looking for on this album is 'Old School', a classic song. The tune is incredible and his lyrics could have been better but they are alright. 'Can U Get Away' is a song worth listening to but nothing to special to look forward to. Overall, this is a brilliant masterpiece. It features so many great songs outlining 2Pac's struggles and I reccommend it to any rap fan.

All Eyez On Me (Explicit Version)
All Eyez On Me (Explicit Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Rap album ever, 9 Oct. 2003
Before I start reviewing the album, I'll jot down a little information on what is known as 'Rap's Best Album ever to be released'. All Eyez on Me is 2Pac's second Death Row CD and the first double-disc album to be released in Rap history. Being the first double-disc album to be released, we were sure to expect something huge. And indeed was the works of 2Pac huge. Packed with 27 incredible songs, you will never sleep on this album.
During life in jail, 2Pac studied a lot more, especially on the war strategist, Niccolo Machiavelli. This CD is packed full of songs mainly outlining his life, death and his enemies. Out of both discs, I would have to say the 1st one is better because it has brilliant and timeless songs. Songs like 'Can't C Me' or 'Tradin War Stories' would want to make you roll with 2Pac. It's the same style that we can find on songs such as 'Hit 'Em Up'. Wanting to change his style, he would show us his more reflective and softer side with songs like 'Life Goes On'. This song is just incredible. It talks about his death and how he wants it to happen. An incredible person, I do not understand why someone would want to kill him.
All Eyez on Me provides us with a pack full of guest appearances. From Method Man and Redman to Dr. Dre and Danny Boy, how could you sleep on this album? Many people would hate CDs with heaps of guest appearances but this is just brilliant. A party cannot be a party if 2Pac and Dr. Dre's 'California Love' isn't banging. Are you stupid? This is one of Rap's most recognizable songs! 2Pac and Snoop Dogg switching verses constantly in '2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted' is something you can't get enough of. Other incredible songs with guest appearances include 'I Ain't Mad at Cha' (featuring Danny Boy), 'Got my Mind Made Up' (featuring Method Man, Redman, Kurupt and Daz), 'Rather Be Ya N.I.G.G.A' (featuring Richie Rich), 'When We Ride' (featuring the Outlawz) and 'Only God can Judge Me' (featuring Rappin' 4-Tay). 'All Eyez on Me' featuring Big Syke is another classic to look forward to and definately got everyone's eyes on 2Pac! This collaboration is one of the finest I've seen since Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. Also here, 2Pac introduces to us his new and probably last group, the Outlawz. Outlawz, previously known as Dramacydal (in Me Against the World), are featured on hits such as 'Tradin War Stories' and 'When We Ride'. In 'When We Ride', the whole of the Outlawz drop a verse and each and every one of them rip sh*t up!
2Pac was more than a rapper to the world. He was the Realist of all Realists, the King of Rap and the West Coast. F*ck it, you can say 2Pac was Rap altogether because Rap is dead now that 2Pac is gone. I love this album. It's 2Pac at his finest. Each and every one of these songs are magnificent and incredibly written. Other classics like 'ILLMATIC, 'THE CHRONIC', 'DOGGYSTYLE'. 'READY TO DIE', 'ENTER THE WU-TANG', 'AT THE SPEED OF LIFE' etc., All Eyez on Me definately conquers over all of these. 2Pac was more than a rapper to me. To me, he was a teacher because I learnt a lot of stuff listening to his music. You cannot like 2Pac, it's impossible. If you do, something's wrong with your brain. If you listen to trash like Nelly, Ludacris, Poof Daddy, Gay Rule, Cam'Ron, Gay-Z etc., change your taste in rap and listen to REAL RAP. If you don't have this album, you're not a true rap fan. Your rap collection is not complete without this album!
R.I.P. Tupac Amaru Shakur: 1971-1996. You're in God's hands now

Offered by Slowburn Media Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars changed my mind, 2 Oct. 2003
Alright, I have given this CD a proper listen and I must say I am disappointed at bit but it's still a good album. Suge Knight has chosen a fair amount of songs but I feel that some should not be on this album. For those that don't know, Death Row was once the greatest rap label in rap history because of rappers it had. With the legendary 2Pac part of it as well as Rap's finest producer, Dr. Dre, plus Rap's most recognizable rapper, Snoop Dogg, how could you call Death Row a weak label? But since 2Pac's death, Dr. Dre leaving the label with Snoop Dogg and Suge Knight going to prison, Death Row seemed to have died. This CD brings to you more of Death Row's singers and groups, some we have never heard of. Some stand-out tracks on CD1 are-
WHITE MAN'Z WORLD- 2PAC
THE DAY THE NIGGAZ TOOK OVER- DR. DRE
FUCK DRE- THA REALEST
2 OF AMERIKAZ MOST WANTED- 2PAC AND SNOOP DOGG
LIFE OF AN OUTLAW- 2PAC
Tha Realest appears to be a new name to Death Row. It's a fact that Tha Realest happens to sound EXACTLY the same as Rap Legend, 2Pac, and many people mistake him for 2Pac (such as the Ja Rule and Murder Inc. diss). 'FUCK DRE' is a diss song aimed straight at Dr. Dre and the boyz he rides with. I'm not quite sure how his beef with Dr. Dre started but I reckon he's hating on him because 2Pac hated him. And I thought Swoop G was one of Snoop Dogg's homeboyz, why is he dissing him on this track? Can someone please update me on this info??
CD2 is the disc I intend to enjoy more. This is packed with quite a few well-made songs such as:
HUNG JURY- MICHEL'LE (NICE TUNE)
PICTURE ME ROLLIN- 2PAC
BITCHES AIN'T SHIT- DR. DRE
A NIGGA WITTA GUN- DR. DRE
I AIN'T MAD AT CHA- 2PAC
GREED- ICE CUBE
TO LIVE & DIE IN LA- 2PAC
You're probably wondering why I gave this disc a 4 star. I just couldn't believe my ears when I heard that: $20 SACK PYRAMID, WHEN I GROW UP and COME UP TO MY BEDROOM (by Jodeci) were on here. WHY ON EARTH would Suge Knight put 2 stupid INSERTS on this ($20 Sack Pyramid and When I Grow Up)??? It is just a waste of space, I could think of 2 other songs that deserved to be on this. I just couldn't believe it when I heard about it, that's the most stupidest idea I've ever heard. And WHY ON EARTH DID SUGE KNIGHT PUT 'COME UP TO MY ROOM' ON HERE?!? It's a nice hook but if you check back with DEATH ROW GREATEST HITS 1, you'll see that this song is on there as well! WTF is going on here?!? Is something f*cked up in Knight's brain or something?!?!? This really p*sses me off and are the reasons why this disc doesn't deserve the 5 star.
I would have like to seen these songs on the disc however:
DR. DRE- RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT
2PAC AND DR. DRE- CALIFORNIA LOVE (WHY DIDN'T HE PUT THIS ON? THIS IS A RAP ANTHEM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!)
SNOOP DOGG- THA DOGGFATHER REMIX
2PAC- PAIN
SNOOP DOGG- PUMP PUMP
SNOOP DOGG- SERIAL KILLA
DR. DRE AND SNOOP DOGG- DEEP COVER
2PAC- KRAZY (THIS IS ONE OF THE SOFTEST AND BEST TUNES I'VE HEARD FROM 2PAC, I WOULD HAVE LIKE TO SEEN THIS ON THERE INSTEAD OF 'LIFE OF AN OUTLAW', THOUGH THAT'S A GOOD SONG)
2PAC- ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND
2PAC- TOSS IT UP
This could have easily got a 5 star if more songs were added and if those STUPID INSERTS and that SONG weren't on here! If you have Death Row Greatest Hits 1, then get this to add to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars dre's still got the talent, 19 Sept. 2003
This review is from: 2001 (Audio CD)
Though Dre isn't one of Rap's wisest writers, he is by far the best producer I've ever come across in rap history. His talent in producing music is just amazing and that's why I love Dre's music. Many people look for lyrics in music but I look for the beats and I know that when Dre releases a CD, I know it's gonna be tight. 'THE CHRONIC' is one of rap's best albums of all time, '2001' shows the world that Dre has still got the talent and sounds better than ever. '2001' is a CD full of mind-blowing songs which are very hard to skip. some standout tracks are 'WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE', 'THE NEXT EPISODE', 'THE WATCHER', 'STILL DRE', 'FORGOT ABOUT DRE', 'MURDER INK',
'XXPLOSIVE' and 'SOME L.A. N*GGAZ'. it's hard to find a rap album these days that deserve the 5 star because we've got so much fake rappers out there singing trash since the deaths of rap's biggest stars (2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Eazy-E, JMJ etc.) get this album if you don't have it, you won't be disappointed. if you want to feel Dre's true strength, then i suggest you buy 'THE CHRONIC' first. That is the best album he's released so far...

Strictly 4 My Niggaz
Strictly 4 My Niggaz
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars an album you can't sleep on, 11 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Strictly 4 My Niggaz (Audio CD)
'2Pacalypse Now' proved to be too violent for the world to hear back in those days. However, in 1993 2Pac came back with a new album, an album totally different from his first one. 'Strictly' has to be one of the best rap albums released in 1993 because it had so many hits that deserved to be released. This album was more sophisticated, honest and great all at the same time. No matter what mood you'd be in, listening to this CD would definately change your mood constantly. If you're wanting to bang your stereo up real loud then 'HOLLER IF YOU HEAR ME', 'POINT THE FINGA' or 'LAST WORDZ' is for you. If you're wanting to hear 2Pac at his finest on this CD then 'KEEP YA HEAD UP' is for you. This is one of the most honest songs 2Pac has ever heard and the main reason why I bought this CD.'PAPA'Z SONG this is another classic to listen to, the beat is so evil but excellent at the same time. His lyrical talent in this is just mind-blowing and has a very good guest appearance from WYCKED. If you're wanting to listen to a song with a mean as beat then 'REPRESINTIN 93' is for you. In my opinion, he should have released this song as this has one of the best beats I've EVER HEARD by 2Pac in his lifetime. If you're wanting to hear something real evil then 'STRICTLY 4 MY N.I.G.G.A.Z' is for you. See, 2Pac can set your mood in all different ways. That's what made this CD so incredible and one of the best rap albums back in 1993. Other classics to listen to are: I GET AROUND, THE STREETS R DEATHROW, 5 DEADLY VENOMZ and STRUGGLIN. Basically every song is worth listening. If you don't have this CD and you're a real DIE HARD 2Pac fan, how can you be called a 2Pac fan? This is one album you DEFINATELY won't sleep on!
Peace
JK DOG

Offered by Slowburn Media Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars not really a greatest hits, 10 Sept. 2003
i was a death row fan for many years mainly because it had the best rappers there were. there was DR. DRE, the best producer and an ex-member of N.W.A, there was SNOOP DOGG, the most recognizable rapper known today and there was 2PAC, the REALIST of ALL REALISTS. This CD could have easily got a 5 star if all the songs were full of songs from these 3 rappers. when DR. DRE left death row, SUGE KNIGHT being put into jail, 2PAC died and SNOOP DOGG leaving death row, all hope seemed lost. death row greatest hits brought back many memorable memories and so did greatest hits 2. like death row greatest hits, this brings back many great classics like PICTURE ME ROLLIN' by 2PAC, BITCHES AIN'T SHIT by DR. DRE and other classics from SNOOP, MICHEL'LE, DOGG POUND, DANNY BOY, ICE CUBE and MORE! what i don't understand is why Warren G is on here. REGULATE is a magnificent song but was Warren G signed to death row when he released this song? same goes for greatest hits, why was Ice Cube's NO VASELINE on there? overall, this is a great CD but if you don't have GREATEST HITS VOL. 1, then get that first then this.