Profile for Iain > Reviews

Content by Iain

Iain (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Panasonic TX-P42X60B 42-inch Freeview HD Ready Plasma TV (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Panasonic components, 23 Sept. 2013
I bought the 2007 version of this; the HDMI board lasted 6 months. Had them repaired, HDMI board failed again at 2 year point. Replaced it in 2011 with the 2011 42" Panasonic plasma, HDMI board has now gone again.

So, expect to get 2 - 3 years out of a Panasonic plasma before having to replace it. Poor quality components.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 8:43 AM GMT

Maria
Maria

1.0 out of 5 stars Live version, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Maria (MP3 Download)
Great song, but Amazon are punting the live version here, not the original. A bit of a con when Amazon don't make any mention of this before purchase

There Must be more to Life than This
There Must be more to Life than This
by Barrie Lawrence

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 18 Feb. 2013
I read 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' as someone who was been looking for the Christian god (as opposed to any other deity) for sometime now. As another reviewer has mentioned, I too still cannot find any evidence of Him.

However this book is not about the arguments for and against the existence of god, nor does it advertise itself as such. It is about the author's experience of finding the biblical god and in that it does very well. I enjoyed the stories; they are written honestly and warmly, and gave me an insight into how a Christian experiences god. Another reviewer comments that Barrie prayed for some things and they did not happen. He prayed for other things and they did. If there were a god, I'd imagine this is what would happen; some prayers can be answered and some, for the greater good or a purpose unknown to us, cannot.

I still do not believe in any god, but if you are searching I would say read Barrie's book. I'd also say read the bible (The New International version, as recommended by a good friend is easy on the eyes) but balance that with reading Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins.

Sony 1000W 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray BDVN590 Home Cinema System
Sony 1000W 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray BDVN590 Home Cinema System

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have got the Panasonic :(, 8 Feb. 2013
Playback of DVDs and Blurays is perfect.
Copes with virtually all video formats I've tried; mkv, MP4, etc
Sound is clear
Remote app for android phone is pretty cool

However, down sides;
Shape of the thing with a side loading dvd is virtually useless for putting the box in a unit under the telly. I've resorted to using my PS3 for DVD playback, lot easier than faffing around under the TV unit trying to find the 590's slot.

Playback of music; the menu for finding stuff is pathetic. Think of how easy your smartphone is to find music; the Sony has none of that ease. Unable to search my USB hardrive by artist or track, you need to go into all the folders to find stuff like a PC. There doesn't appear to be a search function that I can find; you need to scroll through all your tracks or artists. This works wonderfully well when you have only 3 bands and 5 tracks in your library, anymore than that and its pretty useless. I had some friends round the other night and found myself limiting my choices to bands that started with an 'A' through to 'E' as I couldn't be bothered to wait for the scrolling.
I'm also having quite a few problems syncing my laptops with the Sony, it continually searches for and fails to find the server.
It has an iPhone dock which is great if you have an iPhone. I, like many others, don't, I have a Samsung S3. Pretty rubbish for music.

The android remote has this great little idea of looking at a webpage then 'throwing' it onto the TV screen, really great idea. Surely it can't be that difficult to do the same with music and use your smartphone as a music server?

Sound although good, just doesn't seem to have the kidney dissolving bass I was hoping for.

Overall, having researched the Panasonic SC-BTT590EBK, the Panasonic looks like the better system.

*Update Sept 2013* - Got this unit Christmas 2012, it has now failed. It cannot find USB2 drives and constantly get a flickering green screen, which I believe is the player losing connection with the TV. The sound also has started to distort at high volumes. Had enough of this rubbish, scrapping it and getting something decent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2013 11:59 PM BST

Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player
Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player

1.0 out of 5 stars A lottery whether it'll play or not, 20 May 2012
Great idea in theory, but doesn't work in practice. Most .MKV files will fail to play or get halfway through then freeze. The same files play perfectly on a laptop. I bought this to so I wouldn't have to keep plugging the laptop into my projector. It then became a case of keeping the laptop on standby in case the WD froze. And now, as we speak, my laptop is plugged back into the projector and the WD is in the bin. Avoid.

Panasonic TX-P42U30B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 22 April 2012
Picture quality is good as is sound, but the quality of components is shoddy. The reason I bought this was to replace a previous version of the Panasonic. My first one's HDMI ports lasted 3 months then stopped working. Panasonic repaired it; it then lasted another 2 years before the HDMI ports again died. So my replacement, this one, was fine until now; 11 months old and...the HDMI ports have stopped working. I'll get this fixed within guarentee but I know I've only got another year or so before I again have the expense of replacing the TV.

This time I'll not be going for another poor quality Panasonic.

Avoid Panasonic TVs
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:30 PM BST

A Cock And Bull Story [DVD] [2006]
A Cock And Bull Story [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe, 3 Aug. 2011
What utter rubbish this is! Love Coogan and Brydon (not in this), but if you buy this you'll be conned. It seems almost written purely to entertain actors and film crews. Tedious and unfunny

Wenger 600638 IBEX 17" Laptop Backpack with Tablet / eReader Pocket (Black / Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop bag, 3 Aug. 2011
Plenty of storage, lots of pockets and comfortable to wear.
I have a Dell inspiron 17 inch laptop with the extra big sticky out battery and it just fits into the laptop sleeve in the bag, so I'd imagine that pretty much any 17 inch laptop would fit in there. Good product

Samsonite Termo: Black: 84cm
Samsonite Termo: Black: 84cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, 2 April 2011
I do a lot of travelling for work and this is a top notch case. Keeps my Playstation 3 and projector protected (need my home comforts when away!). The four wheels glide effortlessly around airports, it's the little things like this that make travelling more bearable!
Great case, I'd buy another
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2011 8:57 PM BST

PCW106ME 106" HD Projector Screen Matte White 16:9 Widescreen Electric Motorised w/ Remote Control
Offered by eHome

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen at great price, 2 April 2011
Well happy with this. It sits tucked away where the wall meets the ceiling, being white it blends in. Picture from an Optoma DW318 looks fantastic. Noise from up and down motor is fairly quiet.
There is a strong celulose/plastic smell from it when the screens down. Does go away eventually, try leaving it down in an aired room for a few days.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3